Cultivated Reef

A DIY pico contest anyone?

Markushka

A few of us weetie's lounge peeps have been talking bout a DIY pico contest. My thoughts are DIY tanks and as much DIY equipment such as lights as possible. I know theres a ton of awesome DIYers on here and we could get some epic looking tanks. Seeing that there's already a pico contest underway, this contest would be open to anyone no matter what contest they may already be in. Rules, judging and prizes (if any) are not at all decided. but the main theme would be as much custom work as possible.

Anyone game?

you, know you want to!

For rules i'm thinking:

Total potential DT size should not exceed 6 gallons.

Total potential sump should also not exceed 6 gallons.

Total potential system volume cannot exceed 12 gallons.

Sumps & tanks must be DIY.

Light fixtures need to be DIY, but prefabbed bulbs* whether LED, T5, MH etc are allowed.

You are allowed to use prefabbed circulation, return and aeration pumps.

You are allowed to use prefabbed heaters.

All other equipment to be used must be custom made.

*open for debate because this would technically allow par 38 bulbs and the like.

As for the DIY tank rule, I have two of these 5 gallon terrariums...

post-70886-1332283811_thumb.jpg

But since they're terrariums, I had to re-silicone the seams...is that bending the rules a little too much??

Keep in mind, these tanks (5 gallons) are the reason I'm not an entrant in the 3 and under pico contest...and I am planning on doing a DIY sump and LED build anyway...Even my stand is DIY...

What do ya say, is the re-silicone job enough to get me in? ;)

Meta

So the tank has to be built by the person also?

Yes, no prefabbed. I guess you could get a glass shop to silicone it for you, but the silicone is the easy part!

If this starts, can my tank be a candidate in both this and the "3 and under" contest?

Yes! I wanted to encourage some of the diyers on there to join this contest.

Oh snap! I suck at DIY :lol:

:/ you should still try maria!

As for the DIY tank rule, I have two of these 5 gallon terrariums...

post-70886-1332283811_thumb.jpg

But since they're terrariums, I had to re-silicone the seams...is that bending the rules a little too much??

Keep in mind, these tanks (5 gallons) are the reason I'm not an entrant in the 3 and under pico contest...and I am planning on doing a DIY sump and LED build anyway...Even my stand is DIY...

What do ya say, is the re-silicone job enough to get me in? ;)

Meta

hmm, well you are taking a prefabbed tank, I dunno, I'll have to think about that. its not any different really from getting glass cut, and I would like to see that tank in the contest cos it looks really cool. But it is a prefabbed tank. Is there anything you could do to make it custom? like just use the curved pane from this tank and incorporate it into a custom build?

Can the DT size be <6? fingerscrossed

I have been planning a new build (6g) and I would love to enter it in the contest

sure, 6 gallons is still a pico I guess. The 5g was rather arbitrary.

and meta, if you don't use the bottom black rim or the top of that terrarium, you can enter with that tank unless anyone has any objections.

For further clarification however, buying a prefabbed tank already suitable for saltwater use and re-siliconing it will not be eligible for the contest, buying and converting tanks unsuitable as is for saltwater use will continue to be allowed. Suitability will be determined myself and appointed judges. DIY acrylic tanks will also be allowed naturally.

just use the curved pane from this tank and incorporate it into a custom build?

this

Or significant changes to other terraniums.

And i just might be able to join in.

you, know you want to!

For rules i'm thinking:

Total potential DT size should not exceed 6 gallons.

Total potential sump should also not exceed 6 gallons.

Total potential system volume cannot exceed 12 gallons.

Sumps & tanks must be DIY.

Light fixtures need to be DIY, but prefabbed bulbs* whether LED, T5, MH etc are allowed.

You are allowed to use prefabbed circulation, return and aeration pumps.

You are allowed to use prefabbed heaters.

All other equipment to be used must be custom made.

*open for debate because this would technically allow par 38 bulbs and the like.

And for those of us that want aio?

Display not to exceed 6g & 'sump/filtration' not to exceed 6g?

shaneandjohn

This is an awesome contest. I will Not be entering based on my recovery from surgery. However, I will be watching this thread like a Hawk. I love the creativity and the Hands On aspect.

Good Luck to everyone who participates!!

Make a designated thread with Hyperlinks for everyone to follow....

I will be following......Shane

And for those of us that want aio?

Display not to exceed 6g & 'sump/filtration' not to exceed 6g?

AIO will be considered as a DT & sump, as long as the gallonage criteria are met.

This is an awesome contest. I will Not be entering based on my recovery from surgery. However, I will be watching this thread like a Hawk. I love the creativity and the Hands On aspect.

Good Luck to everyone who participates!!

Make a designated thread with Hyperlinks for everyone to follow....

I will be following......Shane

We could always use some judges! I'll be posting up a contest thread whit hyperlinks as soon as deadlines are decided, I was hoping for an 4/1 deadline, but it may be a 5/1 deadline with the ability to start tanks at 4/1 to allow people in the other pico contest to join as well as other entrants. It probably won't be a big contest, but it should be fun all the same.

Seems a bit soon, with two other contests going as well...

well. this isn't an exclusive contest, I'm going to be in the <3g pico contest too, but the rules are a bit more flexible on size since this is a DIY focused contest.

Well than, let's give this some time to marinate with folks. 5/1 seems like a great start date.

But I'm in as a judge. Maybe a entrant (doubtfull)

I think 5/1 is the perfect start date for this contest, seeing as it might take some people a while to get their builds set up. Should we start looking around to see if we can find some donations for prizes? Not that winning is everything, but it IS nice to win stuff... ;)

Also, were you just planning on using the Judging Criteria that I set up for the 3 and under contest? If you're interested, we could tweak that model and make it more specific to a DIY contest.

I'd be game depending on when it would start.

5/1 sounds great, I can get my acrylic shipped across the ocean here along with all the other crap.

The question is what size? How big of a sump?

We already want DIY everything, that's understandable.

I"m going to have to do something special to have a fighting chance because of my coral limitations....

shaneandjohn

I agree that a 5-1 start dated would be better. You will allow people to brainstorm creative ideas as well as plan the funding of the project.

I would be honored to be able to participate in the judging aspect!!

I also agree that having prizes is an added Bonus:)

I am entered in the 3 gallon contest, Not at all for prizes, but for the satisfaction of competition and to complete it. I will actually not accept any prizes,but rather include them with the grand prize winner, if I was to actually win...doubtful, lol...Looks like some people are really taking it seriously, I am not!!

The judging of the contest should be very detailed, whatever the categories!!

This is awesome!

I have to drop out the 3 and under contest due to my study... but I might be able to get something setup for the first of may! and although I have to say myself, I got an awesome idea!

Following this for sure.

Jb

Archived