Cultivated Reef

Carlie's WallyWorld Pico!

ReiningChick

Alrighty, so iv been wanting to start a reef tank for a while now and when i read about this contest i decided that this would be a really cool way to take the plunge!! Since I'm new to this forum ill introduce myself real quick. My names Carlie, I live in Delaware, OH (for now at least...) and I train reining horses. As far as tanks go I have an aggressive 38g FW, a 10g for FW shrimp, 5.5g FW with one small rainbow but its mostly for breeding snails for my GSPs, 2 GSPs in a 29g thats being converted to full marine, a 40g BW with 2 dragon/ violet gobies, and a 75g FOWLR (my newest baby :D ). Wow when i list them out like that it sounds like a lot.... lol.

i have a little bit of an idea what I would like to do with this pico but i still have A LOT of research to do! the one thing i do know is that i want to plumb for some extra water volume. so what i have to work with that i already have around the house is a AC50 and a 110. i could also rearrange some of the other tanks and use the 5.5g on this build as another option. I will definitely be setting the tank up as soon as i decide exactly how i want to do it. Any cool ideas on how to plumb it with the stuff i already have?

My first question (of im sure MANY to come) is about lighting the 2g. Im going to use the lighting that came with the kit on whatever i end up using as the fuge. iv been reading up about LEDs and i guess my question is what are some of the best options to be able to sustain all diff types of corals? and/ or what am i looking for in terms of the lights to be able to tell if they can sustain corals?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!! Sorry bout the lengthly first post :P

Im working on the skape and I just wanted to share some pics to see what you guys thought.. this is dry pukani from BRS that i didnt use when i set up the fowlr tank. I put this together on a sketch pad and drew the deminsions of the tank so i wouldnt make it too big.

rocks11of1.jpg

rocks12of1.jpg

rocks13of1.jpg

WOW :happydance: Thanks for the GREAT comments everyone!!! Scaping is one of my favorite parts of this process becasue it lets you be so creative! I think thats what draws me to reef tanks, that they can be just like works of art! Im going to keep playing with it a little bit and ill def keep posting pics to show you guys what i come up with :D

Im working on the skape and I just wanted to share some pics to see what you guys thought.. this is dry pukani from BRS that i didnt use when i set up the fowlr tank. I put this together on a sketch pad and drew the deminsions of the tank so i wouldnt make it too big.

rocks11of1.jpg

rocks12of1.jpg

rocks13of1.jpg

Your scape is awesome, it totally rocks!!!!!!!!!

How many pounds of pukani is that? Looks great!

Thanks :D Its about 2.5 to 3 pounds, around 15 or so small pieces, and 3 "larger" pieces. All the rock was actually break off from the larger pieces in my other tank that must have occurred during shipping.

surgicalsense
Thanks :D Its about 2.5 to 3 pounds, around 15 or so small pieces, and 3 "larger" pieces. All the rock was actually break off from the larger pieces in my other tank that must have occurred during shipping.

Excellent usage. Looking forward to the build.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a huge fan of good aqua-scape, and I salute you on this start... :)

+1. I am excited to see this scape in your tank, it's going to look awesome!

Finally an update on this tank. it is all set up and cycling, but i think it will take a while becasue i didnt put any established rock or media in there becasue my FOWLR tank is going through ich and i didnt want to risk this tank getting it. also i am now out of town for the next 2 weeks so a friend of mine is just going to do tops offs for me and ill check everything once i get back home. right now the tank is not yet plumbed to the 5.5g that i will be useing as a sump/ fuge. when i get home from this horse show i will have a lot more time to work on everything.

FTS

FTSNov3of1.jpg

as you can see the rock going all the way around the edges makes the front shot distorted so ill try and figure something out with that also. any suggestions would be great! O and i did add sand before i left, i just wanted to get some pics before putting it in so that it wouldnt be so cloudy.

FES

FESNov3of1.jpg

O and this is not the tanks final resting place!! I just put it there while im gone so its easier for my friend.

Archived