inTank Media Baskets

Walmart Pico

owlshead19

Update - I've decided to drop out of the contest - while I found I really enjoy having a pico tank on my desk this tank is just way too small for me - so I picked up an EcoPico 5g tank on a Black Friday sale and plan to transfer my conents to that tank and may just set this one up with a betta for my hubby.

Ok - I have my Walmart Pico set up and and starting the cycle - right now my plan is to have one coral banded or sexy shrimp... and a cuc. I think I have too much sand and rock in there now - still working on making it pretty.

I am pleased about how nice and quiet it is. Of course it's in my office which has about 7 pet birds so almost anything is more quiet than birds, lol.

Aquarium024.jpg

bwoodward0012

i like the amount of sand. maybe just restack the rock to make it more aesthetically pleasing. nice start though. livestock plans beyond shrimp (corals or other inverts)?

Looks good.

I would do some sexy's. They are a better fir for the tank. CBS get really big and might outgrow the tank.

Let Streetsong know you are in the competition by posting a link to this thread in the official thread.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I am a big fan of thick live sand, so I really like that look in yours... :)

One simple, solution to keeping the acrylic clean is the purchase of Nano/Mag cleaner by Two Fishies...

We have them on our site, I encourage you to take a look at them. They are one of the most affordable pieces of reef equipment you can get and well worth it's weight...

MG

i like the amount of sand. maybe just restack the rock to make it more aesthetically pleasing. nice start though. livestock plans beyond shrimp (corals or other inverts)?

I have about 24 frags I've recently received/ordered and I'm going to see what I want for my DT and then I'm giving a few to a buddy and probably put 3-4 in this tank. I have a few in mind but I'm going to see how they look in a few days. I would like to try some macro algae and I may try to keep within a color scheme - probably green... which is why I thought the coral banded shrimp would have looked nice... but the comfort of the inhabitant(s) is the most important thing.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I have about 24 frags I've recently received/ordered and I'm going to see what I want for my DT and then I'm giving a few to a buddy and probably put 3-4 in this tank. I have a few in mind but I'm going to see how they look in a few days. I would like to try some macro algae and I may try to keep within a color scheme - probably green... which is why I thought the coral banded shrimp would have looked nice... but the comfort of the inhabitant(s) is the most important thing.

Macro algae is going to need more proximity to the light that comes stock (try getting the macro algae as close as that light will go)... Otherwise it will begin to wilt within the first couple of months.

Also it will need nutriets for it to flourish, that is why reefers use it in sumps or fuges...

With a more powerful light you would see growth... Just my 2 cents on making sure you get the Macro Algae to work for you...

Going to put up an updated pic when I get home... I re-arranged the rocks and they look a lot better. I also have an idea for a "theme" tank that would be fun to try. I'm researching my options on that... I haven't tested my water since I set the tank up - think I'm going to run my tests tonight also.

New FTS (after re-arranging the rocks) -

(I know my tank is looking a bit "dirty" but I'm concerned about scratching it - so I haven't done much with it yet.)

Aquarium028.jpg

My very first hitch hiker -

Aquarium027.jpg

I'm thinking of setting up a "bumble bee" tank - a couple bumble bee shrimp and some bumble bee snails - some mushrooms and zoas (maybe some green hornet zoas) and one of the small chalice frags I just got. I"m taking it a bit at a time because I honestly don't know enough to know what will thrive under my lights yet.

I know the Bumble Bee Shrimp aren't as pretty as some but I have a sentimental attachment to all things "bumble bee"... (except REAL bees)

bumblebee shrimp imo are one of the more interesting and nicest looking shrimp. they are comparable to harlequin shrimp too, as they have similar behavior (such as body movements).

I think they would be a nice choice for this deco tank.

Some tips about keeping them:

-they get killed by powerheads and powerful filters. it looks like the stock filter is perfect for them, as long as you can see that they cannot somehow squeeze past the intake slits (the shrimp are small)

-they are very aggressive to their own kind, so I wouldn't keep more than 3 of them in this much room.

-some can be finicky with food but even those should take frozen mysis so i suggest you start with that food.

-being small, they will get eaten by the more aggressive stinging corals, so avoid those.

I think your tank can work and that you have an awesome plan for it :)

I am a big fan of thick live sand, so I really like that look in yours... :)

One simple, solution to keeping the acrylic clean is the purchase of Nano/Mag cleaner by Two Fishies...

We have them on our site, I encourage you to take a look at them. They are one of the most affordable pieces of reef equipment you can get and well worth it's weight...

MG

I've seen them locally and already want one... thanks for the advice. Also enjoyed looking at the rest of your stuff - I think after this contest is over I'll probably upgrade to a slightly larger pico for my desk - preferably glass or more scratch resistant acrylic.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I've seen them locally and already want one... thanks for the advice. Also enjoyed looking at the rest of your stuff - I think after this contest is over I'll probably upgrade to a slightly larger pico for my desk - preferably glass or more scratch resistant acrylic.

You might NOT need to buy anything from my site, YOU JUST MIGHT BE ONE OF THE WINNERS.... :) Keep up the good work, you are off to a good start....

MG

p.s

don't be afraid of using the nano/mag cleaner, it will NOT SCRATCH your acrylic as long as you don't dip it into the sand and raise it up to clean.

IMO re-name thread to bumble bee tank. And here's a birfday present for ya

art-bumble-bee-speed-painting-cool-stuff-01.jpg

Just for you - done... I originally should have named it "Pico of Walmart" anyway...

I think I'm getting toward the end of the cycle - numbers have been looking good and starting to get some algae... think it may be CUC time in a few days. The cheato is having a temporary stay pending setting up a HOB as a fuge.

Aquarium035.jpg

I'm searching around for my bumble bee shrimp - seems everyone is out of stock. I do have some bumble bee snails lined up.

liveaquaria has some good quality bumblebees (that's where i bought mine), but yes you'll have to wait a little while until they restock them. usually takes a week though.

Did you read my advice post on bumblebees? I mentioned big HOBs. you'll need a sponge prefilter installed on the intake.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to drop out of the contest - planning to transfer everything to the new EcoPico I picked up - probably turn this into a betta tank.

Did they ship yours yet?

What are your plans for the ecopico?

I am excited to get set mine up when it gets here

I was thinking about making it a small species mantis tank with corals fastened down real good. maybe a N. wennerae or a Neogonodactylus oerstedii. i still need to research a bunch

not sure, but my mind wants to do something different, but i also want the tank and the livestock to be happy in a 5 gallon...hard to do with such a small box o water

Did they ship yours yet?

What are your plans for the ecopico?

I am excited to get set mine up when it gets here

I was thinking about making it a small species mantis tank with corals fastened down real good. maybe a N. wennerae or a Neogonodactylus oerstedii. i still need to research a bunch

not sure, but my mind wants to do something different, but i also want the tank and the livestock to be happy in a 5 gallon...hard to do with such a small box o water

They sent me an email on Friday that it had shipped but the tracking info they gave me was wonky - I think they are in Jupiter so it should arrive in just a day or two I would think - since they are just across the state from me (I'm in Clearwater.)

I only have a bunch of zoa frags, a small duncan and a bit of xenia in the tank now with my cuc which consists of three astrea snails, a bumblebee snail and about 6 mini hermits. I'm planning on moving all that to the EcoPico with the live rock I have now - I'd love to find a really nice sculptural piece of rock and am keeping my eye out for one since I don't think the 3lbs of rock I have in the walmart pico will be enough and I've never really been in love with the way they look.

As far as stocking the tank - I'd love a yellow clown goby or other small colorful fish and some colorful zoas/palys.

Archived