Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Babboa's 2g Wally World Pico

babboa

So, I decided to give this a shot. I've been lurking around for a year or so wanting to get into reefkeeping, and a 2g pico (while more labor intensive) for $30 looked like an interesting way to get started. This thread will be a running commentary on my entry into The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

I'm looking forward to this, and to learning a lot about the hobby over the next few months.

First crummy iphone shot of the completely empty tank on top of my bookcase I relocated to the living room. I will break out my DSLR in a few days once I get some water and live rock in it.

photo3.jpg

So, I decided to give this a shot. I've been lurking around for a year or so wanting to get into reefkeeping, and a 2g pico (while more labor intensive) for $30 looked like an interesting way to get started. This thread will be a running commentary on my entry into The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

I'm looking forward to this, and to learning a lot about the hobby over the next few months.

First crummy iphone shot of the completely empty tank on top of my bookcase I relocated to the living room. I will break out my DSLR in a few days once I get some water and live rock in it.

photo1.jpg

Woo hoo, another contestant. Glad to have you on board. Was just looking at your picture, you might want to ditch the filter extension tube or you'll have a filter sucking up sand.

Best of luck to you and your pico.

Rob

Tampa

Haha, yeah. I put it on just to assemble everything and get a look at it, but the extension has already gone bye-bye.

Woo hoo, another contestant. Glad to have you on board. Was just looking at your picture, you might want to ditch the filter extension tube or you'll have a filter sucking up sand.

Best of luck to you and your pico.

Rob

Tampa

Yes! More Wally Picos!

I know you said it's a bookcase but that actually looks like you bought a proper 'stand' for it. It looks great.

I photographed mine sitting on the hood of my biocube (lol).

That was a $10 back to school special clearance from bed, bath, and beyond. I bought a couple of them last year.

Yes! More Wally Picos!

I know you said it's a bookcase but that actually looks like you bought a proper 'stand' for it. It looks great.

I photographed mine sitting on the hood of my biocube (lol).

Awesome! Good luck with the tank and the contest! Any plans on livestock yet?

I am thinking of keeping things simple, especially in the short term. I may aim for a mix of zoas, mushrooms, palys, and star polyps just so a newbie like me will have a better chance of keeping it alive. I am living in New Orleans, so I have been toying with a purple/green/gold theme but I don't have any hard plans in place yet (I'm open to suggestions). As for livestock maybe a couple of shrimp (sexies or something else small) and maybe 1 small goby (goldline neon or green banded).

10/28/11Update: water mixed to 1.025 spec. gravity and added to tank. Marked the back of the tank at the start and have been topping off with RO/DI to account for evaporation. 15w hydor betta tank heater from petco seems to be keeping temps solidly around 83F, but it is ugly. That also seems a little warm from what I have seen of other tanks, so I might have to think about getting the 7.5w hydor heater or one of the other options instead (or live with the temperature in my apartment at 68).

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to get small quantities (<10lbs) of live rock for picos? I went to 3 different local aquarium shops around new orleans this week, and their live rock was either way too big (and they were understandably not ok with chipping off Pico-sized pieces), or it barely looked "live" (no coralline, no visible organisms at all). Thanks in advance.

83 is a bit on the warm side, shoot for 78ish. and as for the rock, you could try picking some up online. or find a 1-2lb piece you like and smash / hack it up

GL on the tank, I sadly can't do the contest but will keep an eye on things.

83 is a bit on the warm side, shoot for 78ish. and as for the rock, you could try picking some up online. or find a 1-2lb piece you like and smash / hack it up

GL on the tank, I sadly can't do the contest but will keep an eye on things.

The main problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to find a place online that ships in quantities smaller than 15-17lbs. I really only need 10lbs at the absolute most, and I only need that because I'm setting up a 5gal at the same time as this 2gal.

The main problem I'm running into is that I can't seem to find a place online that ships in quantities smaller than 15-17lbs. I really only need 10lbs at the absolute most, and I only need that because I'm setting up a 5gal at the same time as this 2gal.

stick an add on you're local craigstlist. you'll be surprised you might find a fellow reefer who is local who will just give you a few small peices for the pico. If you were local to me I would, I've got to much rock now....damn craisglist deals!

photo1.jpg

The filter is hanging on an angle.

There is a little plastic piece which plugs into the bottom of the filter which allows

to hang correctly. It's that little "left over piece" ;)

The filter is hanging on an angle.

There is a little plastic piece which plugs into the bottom of the filter which allows

to hang correctly. It's that little "left over piece" ;)

:D I finally figured that out yesterday (after I found the filter manual attached to the bottom of the packing styrofoam via static cling)

Where are you located? I could probably spare at least 5-6 lbs of live rock. Send me a pm.

Where are you located? I could probably spare at least 5-6 lbs of live rock. Send me a pm.

Thank you so much for your offer, but I ordered some from Sea Life Inc. It should be here tomorrow or friday. I also got one of the tetra heaters (woohoo another wally world purchase, since nobody else had them in stock around here), and it is keeping it at a rock solid 78F. Hopefully I will have updates friday afternoon or evening.

My live rock came in today from sea life inc. Really cool looking stuff. Coralline algae everywhere and maybe a few little extras growing on the rocks :D . Also had at least one hitchhiker. I think it is a bristle worm of some kind (if anyone else can confirm, that would be great). I know they are considered beneficial, but I'm not sure I want to keep it in this tiny aquarium. He's already 2.5'' long, so it may make it a pain to stick my hand in to do anything in the aquarium without getting stung. Will have rock pics up later tonight or this weekend (i have to recharge my camera battery since it was almost dead). They gave me a couple of extra pounds of rock, so even with the 3gal I'm setting up for my brother for Christmas, I may be a little crowded in the rock department. But, we will see.

Edit: Found several pictures of Hesione picta, which looks like the worm in my tank. Now to find out if it is safe to keep.

PB031898.jpg

omgomgomg

Ha! The bristleworm was eliminated with extreme prejudice. It looked cool, but was chowing on some of the little feather duster worms on the live rock, so it had to go.

Here is what the tank looks like right now.

photo3.jpg

Pardon the cloudiness and the delay in updates. I now understand why some people don't like aragalive sand. It coated everything in the tank, and I am still trying to get it cleared off the rocks, which inevitably clouds the water for a little while.

I was very pleased with the live rock from sea life, inc. I got 10lbs (using the larger pieces to set up a tank for my brother) shipped for $50, which is cheaper than any of my local LFS's. There were a few extras like small feather dusters, a knobby star coral, and what I think is a red sea squirt.

I put everything together in the tank last Wednesday and have been doing nothing but keeping up with topoffs (and watching LSU and Saints football). I checked the water last night, and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite were all at 0. Just to be on the safe side, I am going to let it rest for a few more days and retest before I feel safe calling it cycled.

Get ready for the Nov 12 game

Ha.This weekend shouldn't be much of a game. Also, even in New Orleans I would probably get some odd looks if I wore that. I think I will stick with my LSU Medicine Polo.

• 8 months later...

Long time no update, but this little tank is still going strong (even if it does need some work right now).

littletank.jpg

I was out of town for a couple of weeks, so I rigged an auto top off using a digital power timer, an adjustable valve, and an aqualifter. It worked well, but apparently not doing water changes leads to crazy coralline growth. After 3 sessions of scraping it off with a credit card, you can at least see through the front. The zoas, xenia, and GSP are all growing well, and I have been giving away small frags of them to other locals in my reef club.

Archived