ReefCleaners.org

Carpets in My Nano

Euphyllia

I went to the LFS and they had a 3" purple/green carpet nem. I didn't buy it because I was hesitant about the space requirements. Apparently this carpet is only supposed to get up to 8", or at least that's what the wholesaler told my LFS. The LFS said they could order me one in the future if I changed my mind. I would like to have a small, sand-baring anemone for my BioCube 29 HQI, but most get too big. Just curious if there are actually carpets that get up to 8", and if so, would I be able to keep one in my tank. It wasn't a maxi because it was hosting a clown, just to be clear.

They are anywhere from 4 to 8. Most seem to average right in the middle.

Maybe you should get a slightly less colorful, but WAY smaller mini mini. they are usually only about the size of a half dollar.

True carpet nems can get up to 2 feet in diameter or larger. The rate at which they grow is all dependent on how much you feed them, water conditions, lighting, etc.

Sigh, worthless comments.

You can keep him in your tank as long as you can meet it's lighting and flow requirements.

If you don't feed it it will grow slowly.

Just keep in mind that it will eventually grow large.

Sigh, worthless comments.

You can keep him in your tank as long as you can meet it's lighting and flow requirements.

If you don't feed it it will grow slowly.

Just keep in mind that it will eventually grow large.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to snatch it up and be beaten down on here for having a carpet nem in that sized tank. It's been a while since I've kept an anemone, so I'll do some reading up on carpets specifically and their care. I need to refresh my memory on what to look for in a healthy nem.

I have a BioCube 29 HQI (150w 14000K), so I think that covers the lighting aspect. I have a 350gph pump in the tank as of now, and I'm considering asking for a Vortech MP10W ES for Christmas. The nem will be on the sandbed between two rocks that come together in a wide 'V' shape.

Just keep in mind that carpet nems can be notorious for eating fish, even if they are well fed.

I only have clowns. They won't eat my clowns, will they? :huh:

Just keep in mind that carpet nems can be notorious for eating fish, even if they are well fed.

Actual carpet anemones, yes, but not maxi minis. If it's really a proper carpet anemone, some species get up to 3 feet across while others 'only' get to about two feet... and they do eat fish. There are species of clowns that host in each, but with some anemones they are very specific on what clowns are accepted.

I don't think maxi-minis have any of these limitations.

This nem was hosting a clown and was most definitely not a maxi, as I stated before.

Are you saying it's not a maxi because you know for sure it's not one...or you're presuming it's not one because this one was hosting? Maxi's can host clowns, not often, it's rare. I'm not going to post links to other MB's but I'm sure you can do a search and find the info...and more importantly...pictures of more than one maxi hosting clowns.

Do you have a picture?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going to post a few questions and do some reading so that I'm prepared for a carpet. :)

Are you saying it's not a maxi because you know for sure it's not one...or you're presuming it's not one because this one was hosting? Maxi's can host clowns, not often, it's rare. I'm not going to post links to other MB's but I'm sure you can do a search and find the info...and more importantly...pictures of more than one maxi hosting clowns.

Do you have a picture?

-sigh-

I know for a fact it wasn't a maxi. I've seen hundreds of maxis and carpets -- this one had the carpet look. I have no interest in buying the carpet that I saw at the LFS, so what it is doesn't matter. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, I know you're just trying to help.

I think people are getting confused on your goal is what is happening here.

IMO a 29 is too small. But it's less about what the nem wants and more just because water quality would be a pita when it gets huge.

I think people are getting confused on your goal is what is happening here.

IMO a 29 is too small. But it's less about what the nem wants and more just because water quality would be a pita when it gets huge.

I have chaeto and I keep up with weekly water changes, if not more often. If that won't change the situation, maybe I should stay away from carpets for now.

Theirs no way you should have a carpet in a cube bad idea......plus you have alot of corals why not just do a maxi?

Because my clowns won't take a maxi. I want it for the sake of the clowns, just to watch them swim around in the tentacles. Maxis can't do that.

Because my clowns won't take a maxi. I want it for the sake of the clowns, just to watch them swim around in the tentacles. Maxis can't do that.

Actually they can.

Get a BTA or LTA.

You need to blast that thing with as much light as humanly possible. Carpet 'nems are generally only found in very shallow water (less than a few feet) where they get full sun all day. With time they'll also get much bigger than 8 inches.

Archived