ReefCleaners.org

Streetsong's 76g Half-Circle of sps

streetsong

Equipment (updated 11/13/11)

Tank: Oceanic 76 gal. half-circle with center overflow.

Lighting: AI Sol Super Blue, 2 modules. 120 watts.

Controller: Digital Aquatics Reef-Keeper Lite w/ pH probe and float-valve for ATO.

Circulation: Main pump: Rio Hyperflow 7, JBJ Oceanstream duo powerhead/wavemaker kit, Echotech Vortech MP10

Sump: 30 gal. custom acrylic wet/dry filter

Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus 300

Carbon/GFO: BRS Dual-Chamber Reactor

Other: Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser Reactor, 10 gal. glass tank for ATO

Fish (updated 11/13/11)

2 False Percula Clownfish (one is a B-grade Picasso)

Bangaii Cardinalfish

Melanarus Wrasse

Chalk Bass

Pearly Jawfish

Blue-Green Chromis

Yellow Tang

Invertabrates

The only inverts are a variety of reef-safe snails (about 150) from Reef-Cleaners.

Corals (updated 11/13/11)

Multi-Colored Welso Brain

Green/Red Open Brain

Orange Monti Cap.

Green Monti Cap.

Idaho Grape Monti Cap.

Green Slimer Bali. Acropora

Pink and Yellow Millepora

Sunshine Millepora

Aussie Neon Green Tabling Acropora

Montipora Setosa

Pink Stylophora

Aussie Blue Tenuis

Tricolor Acropora

Fuzzy green and purple Acro

Purple Monti Digitata with neon green polyps

Rainbow Pocillopora

Pink Pocillopra

Pink Birdsnest

Green Birdsnet

Clams

Blue/Purple Maxima- 5"

Purple/Gold Derasa- 6"

I located this tank on Craigslist earlier this week. I love the look of the half-circle. I have read that the curvature of the glass makes things look distorted- That being said, the first time I saw one of these up and running, I fell in love. This will be my first reef tank that exceeds 29 gallons, and is not an all-in-one, so I feel like a newbie again. As always I appreciate your guidance, suggestions, ideas and critical eye.

Every thing listed below is what I purchased from a Craigslist seller on 7/8. Total paid- $500.

-Oceanic 76g half-circle with center over-flow. Matching stand and canopy in good condition.

-Coralife Aqualight Pro Fixture- 1 X 250W, 24". No ballast.

-30 gal. sump. I'm not sure of the brand, but let me know if you can ID it.

-AquaC Remora Mini skimmer with Maxi-Jet 900 pump. (Planning on selling and upgrading.)

-2 Maxi-Jet 1200 pumps.

-Rio 17 hyper-flow pump.

-Jager 200w heater.

-Bucket of misc. plumbing equipment, tubing.

List of equipment for down the road- some sooner, some later.

-250w coralife electronic ballast.

-A more adequate skimmer.

-Vortech MP40.

-Chiller- I'll wait and see on this one.

I need your help- The stand is missing one of the curved-glass doors. If I can't get a new one, (I'm i doubt, but I'm calling Oceanic tomorrow) do you have a suggestion for covering the front of the stand. I was thinking about hanging black fabric down the front, but I'm not sure yet.

My first task will be to paint the back black, give the tank a good cleaning and think about how I can aquascape this tank to maximize the shape.

My first set of photos:

post-45694-1310348917_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1310348926_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1310348942_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1310348952_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1310348954_thumb.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I just completed my rockwork. I used about 70 lbs. "reef-saver" rock from Bulk Reef Supply. The entire process took about 12 hours. I used marine epoxy, gel superglue, 1/2" PVC pipe and lots of zip-ties. I feel like I achieved the look I was going for. I will also be adding about 20 lbs. of live rock, some in the display and some in the sump. (I'll remove a few pieces of dry rock if I need to.) Tomorrow, the sand goes in.

post-45694-1311279390_thumb.jpgpost-45694-1311279409_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1311279428_thumb.jpgpost-45694-1311279456_thumb.jpg

Quick update- added about 70 lbs. of Caribsea aragonite "Special Grade" sand. At the front of the tank the depth is 3", increasing to 6" in the back. I added water as well and all is running smoothly so well so far (knock on wood).

post-45694-1311430113_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback- the plan for this tanks is mostly sps. I'm very excited- I have learned a lot from my first 4 reef tanks and I'm ready to put that knowledge to use. But there is always more to learn.

I just pre-ordered a Maxspect Mazarra LED system. I could only afford one module right now, but will be ordering another in a couple of months. For increased flow, I ordered the JBJ Oceanstream Duo Wavemaker 1600 kit. I think if I just mount each pump on the back wall and aim it directly at the curved glass, the flow will just swing right around the front.

Also, to solve the problem of the missing glass doors on the stand, My wife made a fabric cover which is weighted down with marbles so it hangs naturally. She did an awesome job:

post-45694-1312215090_thumb.jpg

Other than that, just waiting out my cycle.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update and new pics. I had pre-ordered a Maxspect Mazarra LED fixture but I backed out at the last minute due to lack-luster initial reviews. I switched to a fixture that has been proven to grow sps- the IA Sol blue fixture. For now, I have just one module, but will be ordering another in two weeks. I also added a Reef-Octopus 6 skimmer in my sump. Cycle finished about 3 weeks ago, but I'm taking it slow. Clean-up crew from reef-cleaners will go in next week.

post-45694-1315791245_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1315791278_thumb.jpg

This past week, I received my clean-up crew (snails only) from reef-cleaners. They arrived in great shape and are already doing their job. I am starting to see small patches of coraline on my rockwork so in a week or two I plan on moving all of my sps out of my biocube 29 and into this tank.

This week coming up will be big! I am setting up a ATO using a Reefkeeper lite controller that I ordered last Friday. My second AI sol module will be arriving as well (thank god for the price drop). On Tuesday, a One-Spot Foxface Rabbitfish goes in!

Here's a new pic:

post-45694-1316362175_thumb.jpg

I ended up getting my Foxface today! I went to the LFS and he was doing well after 3 weeks in QT. He is drip-acclimating even as I type. New pics later.

After an extremely slow drip-acclimation process last night, (going from 1.019 to 1.025) my foxface is getting used to his new home, exploring different nooks and crannies, and eating frozen foods. Although this photo is not great, his bright coloration comes through nicely. He's about 3,1/2 inches.

post-45694-1316474150.jpg

Thanks for the comments on the rockwork (rockwerk). :) I used mostly BRS Eco-Rock: It has awesome potential if you want to create caves and overhangs. I also utilized 1 tube of plumber's putty, 2 tubes of gel superglue, 20 zip-ties and about 10 feet of pvc.

I just setup my ATO last night using a DA Reefkeeper Lite and DA float switch kit. I'll post some new pics tonight!

I spent today and part of yesterday transferring sps from my 29 gal to this tank. I have started to have coraline growth throughout the tank and back wall, so I thought I would go for it. The only setback yesterday was dropping one of my birdsnest colonies on the kitchen floor. :angry: So now I have several frags. Also, my Reef Octopus skimmer is working beautifully now that it is dialed-in. My ATO, which is being operated through a RKL is also running well. My second AI SOL module will be arriving from Salty Supply this week.

Here are a few pics. I always enjoy reading comments so please leave one if you have a moment.

post-45694-1317091160_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1317091201_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1317091136_thumb.jpg

I ordered a Two Little Fishies KW Reactor 300 last week and I just installed it, running it through my ATO. So I thought I would post a couple of sump pics. Very exciting, I know!

post-45694-1317180202_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1317180224_thumb.jpg

Took a trip to one of good LFS here in Denver last night and picked up 3 small acro colonies (in the sand) and a Chalk Bass. The colony left is about 3" and the others are about 4". My camera really sucks so the colors don't pop like they do in real life. The blue millie is my favorite- it has nice bright purple polyps.

post-45694-1317482195_thumb.jpg

Archived