Cultivated Reef

ID this Sea Slug, Blue & black, "lumpy"

yoshii

ed9fbe1021c2__1299380344000.jpeg

It's a dark blue with black spots (the white spots are reflection) It was crawling on the glass and I took this pic from top down

It has these lumpy "appendages" on it's back, seemingly randomly placed, no visible gills, and appears to eat algae, as I saw it's radula scraping away on the glass. It will also come half way out of the water at times.

It's pretty awesome, but what is it called? I'm calling the Dinosaur Sea Slug for now.. :lol:

FOUND IT! :D

Apparently it's not a nudi or a sea slug...

31070.jpg

"Comment from Ole Johan Brett: Pretty sure that this is a snail:order Ceanogastropoda. family Lamellariidae, genus coriocella and species nigra. This is not Coriocella hibyae."

Coriocella nigra

It did graze like a snail, but where's it shell??

Also, it seems it could be a snail cause velutinid snails have the shell in the skin

That is the second coolest invert I've ever seen! First being the blue spot sea hare.

The species may be similar to sea hares which also have an internal shell.

Builder Anthony

It be nice if it bred like a snail.You could have a good find there.Didi you buy it or where did you get it.

wow, I would not want that thing in my tank because I have 2 sea squirts right now.

Still a cool looking creature. too bad it has such a diet.

OK, found some more info, although I'm not 100% sure

It's also called a Velutin Snail(when I googled the latin name, it came up)

http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/826

^ According to the guy on there, they eat ascidians(sea squirts) which is too bad :( It probably won't live long

That is the second coolest invert I've ever seen! First being the blue spot sea hare.

The species may be similar to sea hares which also have an internal shell.

It is pretty cool looking! :)

Hmm, might be

It be nice if it bred like a snail.You could have a good find there.Didi you buy it or where did you get it.

Lol yeah, or ate like a snail :P

No, I didn't buy it, it's at my LFS

wow, I would not want that thing in my tank because I have 2 sea squirts right now.

Still a cool looking creature. too bad it has such a diet.

It might be safe, they like to eat certain kinds of sea squirts

I know :( It's really cool, I'm guessing it won't live long though

darn...well you better start several different tunicate cultures to prepare for rescue from your LFS lol!

darn...well you better start several different tunicate cultures to prepare for rescue from your LFS lol!

I think I might have a hard time doing that in time :lol:

Not even the wholesaler knew what it was, too bad it doesn't eat algae :(

Very, very cool! What about your classroom hex? You could culture tunicates and have that little guy in it.

I wouldn't want to put it in such a small tank, and it would eat the tunicates waaay too fast, plus idk what kind of tunicates it likes

That stinks :(

Might as well try it in the 10g. See how long it lives.

There's no tunicates in there right now either

But I don't plan on buying it anyways, now that I know its diet :(

Yeah. Donate it to the Steinhart Aquarium? I'm sure Matt could care for it.

Hmmm, very little is know about their biology and diet, idk if even a public aquarium could find out what kind of tunicates it likes, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Archived