Pod Your Reef

50 gallon shallow,led lit reef. short video update

tmurray

System Type: Mixed reef.

Display System:

Strike up Date: plans started towards the end of last year as I had run out of room in my current tank. Sent of a few designs to a tank builder but another tank popped up that was too good to pass up. Its almost to the specs I was going to get built just a little shallower, but for the price I was willing to make a few centimetres of sacrifices.

Display Tank: 3 x 2 x little over a foot tall rimless with bevelled edges

Display Lighting: itzmatty 120watt led (bsled)

Stand: pine but will skin it in something.

Hood: it has one so my wrasse don’t jump

Sump: 3 foot 3 chamber.

Refugium: centre section of sump

Refugium Lighting: 10 watt led

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: vortech mp10 es, tunze 6045 and 6025

Return Pump: aquamedic ocean runner 3500 dialled down

Skimmer: MS 150 internal

Evaporation Top Up:Auto topup

Fish list-

2 black and white captive bred clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris ) Ted and ?.... save the wild ones where we can

1 lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus) Victa

and with some luck a trio of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenter) These will be the feature fish of the tank.

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

the bottom of the tank is painted black as it was bare bottom, i have no interest in fixing this as i will be having substrate

so the weir still needs covering, the acrylic guy said it will be ready by 3 so will finish that up this afternoon.

for the overflows since there were three bulkheads i wanted to have syphon, durso, backup.... managed to work that in the small amount of space i had

DSC_0217.jpg

inhouse.jpg

tanks now in the house, not in its final resting place there is a 6X2x2 tank behind the ping pong table that's being sold once that happens i will be moving it there and then it will be filled and all livestock moved over

made the hood wrasse safe also.

wrasseguard.jpg

aquascapeone.jpg

Im hoping to get a rimless tank of exactly this size going. You really should consider some suspended lighting and a less visible cover (mesh) for the wrasse. Feels like the shallow rimless feel is lost with the hood.

your not the first to say that lol, it does detract but i dont really mind as its whats in the tank that matters to me, and this will keep the fish in. i have a mesh hood on my current tank but it has a rim so a lot easier to mount. if im keen on taking photos of the tank i can just take the hood off.

• 2 weeks later...
Ooh I see big things happening for this tank. Nice, I really like it.

thank you hopefully it will look half as good as when the below poster owned it.

Wow, that one looks familiar... :lol:

lol yer got it from a local guy ;)

very helpful

• 2 weeks later...

well, it will be getting wet by the weekend after a little problem with my sump, and having to get a new one made im back on track.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update, i transferred all corals and livestock across a few days ago, i originally was going to wait longer than that but one of the bulkheads on my cube started leaking and to save the hassle of emptying the tank fixing it then refilling it i just transferred the stock across, even though it was a new setup i didnt think there would be a cycle as the rock went from one tank to this tank so was only out of water for all of 20 seconds.

They say bad things come in threes... too add to breaking my sump, bulkheads leaking and then my skimmer decided it wanted to leak electricity into the water. not too healthy for myself but didn't seem to effect the fish and corals. i considered replacing the pump but decided as i was going to upgrade the skimmer later in the year rather than spend money on the pump now and then a new skimmer later on just buy the new skimmer now.

decided on the SDP-900 Internal MS Skimmer ( http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... _2047.html ) for specs

all thats left to do is skin the stand and its complete.

looks great so far. following along…. i recently acquired a tank with similar dimensions and i feel kind of lost with a tank this big considering my last one was only 10g

thanks, i love the dimensions although a 3x3x 15 inch would be better maybe in a few years.

just having more floorspace on my old tank is a godsend

i picked up a phosban reactor the other day, and am pleased to say my Po4 is now sitting at 0.05 which is a lot better than 0.19 (both hanna) that is was before i attached it.

if i can keep it hovering around 0.04 il be happy with that.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

well thought i might do a proper update rather than just a couple pics here and there.

i have had the FBF running for just over two weeks with 100grams of phosban in it and am very pleased with how well its working keeping my po4 around .03 which in turn im hoping will colour up my few sps frags the dallas in particular.

im starting to get lots of coraline spots on the live rocs it just isn't very thick yet so hard to notice in the pictures, ive noticed it doesnt tend to grow very thick under leds compared to halides where i had some very nice encrustation happening before i changed lights.

i bought some awesome metallic orange zoanthids a little while ago as well as a small torch frag.

test.jpg

top downs

my frag garden that will soon become a proper garden

dsc0117va.jpg

dsc0099ge.jpg

dsc0114g.jpg

whole tank under just the blue led's

dsc0106hu.jpg

an acan frag i cut off the other day

dsc0104px.jpg

some PSP courtesy of n0rk its on its own segregated island so it wont overrun the tank

dsc0102copyl.jpg

these are some zoanthids i got from the bargain bin as there bleached, well almost and have been closed for the last couple months. they have now started to open up and im hoping they will regain there colour :crossfingers: the centers look like little pink stared galaxies under just the blue leds

dsc0101ot.jpg

some nice green palyotoa

dsc0098gu.jpg

dsc0097n.jpg

top down FTS

dsc0096l.jpg

the bubble tipped anemone that the female hosts and the other thing (cant remember the name) that the male hosts if only he would swim those extra few inches into the anemone

dsc0094n.jpg

some red morphs that seem to be multiplying too well :wall: sump might be there home soon

dsc0093k.jpg

front FTS

dsc0087jd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bought a really nice setup of ebay for a insanely good price i was only interested in the stand but upon pickup found out the tank was recessed into it so my current tank wont fit on it, its not reef ready as it was ran off a marisissystem so not drilled, i dont trust overflow boxes since having a drilled tank. its 750x750x500 rimless, braceless with bevelled edges. sitting in a white two-pack cabinet with stainless steel frame. its still probably a few months away as im going to take things slow and will be doing everything my self.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

newtank.png

• 3 weeks later...

so everthing seems to be goings swimmingly :roflmao: all fish are nice and healthy eating like pigs coraline is popping up everywhere all corals seem healthy apart from a monti that im unsure why but isnt looking too great :wall: all my levels are fine and all other sps are fine.

new tank is drilled and ready to have the weir put in i just have to pick up the bits of glass from a mate (offcuts from his work) starfire no less ;)

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

awesome pics murray! lovin that blenny….he looks goofy. once you got your new tank going, you transferring everything or you going have both tanks running?

awesome pics murray! lovin that blenny….he looks goofy. once you got your new tank going, you transferring everything or you going have both tanks running?

no it will just be a simple transfer across and sell the current one off, im still living at home, finished school recently now at university and the parents have said one tank only :angry: but such is life

Nice pics. Love that blenny. Looks so happy :D What kind is it?

Its a lawnmower blenny specifically a Western Australia algae blenny

wrasse proofing the new tank not finished yet

IMG_0347.jpg

That blenny does really look rediculously happy.

haha thanks, he probably is all he does is eat and perch at the top of the rocks unless im near or doing work in the tank then he just likes to bite me :lol:

Fishguard is finished may give it one more coat of paint but it matches that stand which is what i was after along with looking a lot more low profile than the last hood

IMG_0354.jpg

cheers

Travis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bought a real nice branching hammer with nice green tips, nothing fancy but a nice piece none the less.

IMG_0004.jpg

a quick top down video i shot with my ipod not great quality i think if i had a doller for every pixel in the video i would have around 12 dollars :roflmao:

and a couple quick pics of half the new tanks aquascape.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007-2.jpg

IMG_0006-2.jpg

Archived