ReefCleaners.org

The PicoAquariums.com Owners' Thread

DPRoberts

Since I set up my Pico a few weeks ago I've been getting lots of PMs from people asking about the aquarium & service from PicoAquariums.com. I thought I might as well start an Owner's Thread to make finding PicoAquariums easier, get ideas for new tanks, or offer suggestions. Here's a list of owner's threads I've found so far. Please let me know if I've missed any!

Tony Montana's Manta Ray

Mbarton's 14g cube

Mbarton's Macro Madness 14g

ryhous's 1.75 picp

Saltylife's 6g bonsai pico

jdoko's rimless cube

Wawang's 5g AIO Bob Ross Scape

The DP Roberts 3.5g Pico

Weeber's Flaming Pico

TighTT's Deep Blue 12

Reggie's 3.8g SPS Pico

Cheetos's 12" cube

ryeguy28's barracuda

jestersix's Picotope AIO conversion

bschook5's 12" cube

Jestersix Barracuda Pico

Deli's 3.5 pico

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my Barracuda up and running for a month now. Although I still really like it, I think it needs a few modifications.

First off, I'm getting a lot of salt creep, as you can see here:

01252011009.jpg

As you might be able to tell from the photo, I have the output nozzle pointed downward - not all the way to the bottom of the tank, as I'd stir up too much sand, but it's not pointed at the top either. I could turn the pump down, but I really like the amount of flow I'm getting, and I don't want to have to put another powerhead in there.

The inherent problem is that the water level in the display is too high, and I can't adjust it. Here's a photo of the rear chambers:

01252011010.jpg

In this design, water flows from the display through the teeth & into the first chamber (on the right). From there, it flows over the first baffle, through the media box & into chamber 2. From there, it flows over another baffle & down a really thin slot into the 3rd chamber (on the left).

So, it's the height of the media box in chamber 2 that really determines the height of the water in the tank.

Chamber design is obviously restricted in a tank this small. However, it would be nice if the water flowed THROUGH each of the chambers. For example, since water is flowing into the top of chamber 1, it would be great if it went out the bottom if chamber one into the bottom of chamber 2. Instead, there's no real "flow" in the first 2 chambers. This leads to detritus buildup in the bottom of the chambers & makes it impossible to use any sort of "full size" media rack or flow-through filtration. There's a little media rack at the top of chamber 2, but it's awfully small, & doesn't run across the whole width of the chamber, so water easy flows over it (and your media) instead of through it.

Here's a rough sketch of the current setup. The red line traces the water path through the aquarium. I hope it makes sense.

Picostandard.png

I've thought of two possible fixes:

1) Easier idea: Drill a few holes in the top part of the baffle between chambers 1 and 2 (basically, in the side of the media box. This would make the media box work a little better, and might lower water level in the display a little.

How it is now:

MediaBox1.png

With a few holes drilled in the media box:

MediaBox2.png

2) Harder idea: Try to drill some holes at the bottom of the baffle between chambers 1 and 2 (or somehow remove/reinstall this baffle with a gap at the bottom). Overall, this would be the best solution. This would create flow all the way through chambers 1 and 2. I could build a DIY media rack one full chamber, and the other chamber (currently housing a heater and some chaeto) would get a lot more flow.

Pico2.png

#2 would be a lot better. I'm just not sure how to get to the bottom of that chamber while the tank is up and running - I don't have a drill bit long enough. I was thinking of using a utility knife, but the acrylic is so thick it probably wouldn't be able to score the acrylic enough (or I'd break some other piece). Here's a drawing of how it really ought to go:

Any advice on how to get this done would be appreciated!

• 9 months later...
SouthFlorida_Tron

my custom ships today! cant wait to see it!!!! loads of pics of custom chambers and all upon arrival.

if it comes next monday, ill set it up, if not, it will have to wait until friday after thanksgiving, my next day off :(

also nooby mcnooberson, how many tanks do you plan to have going at once?

Also also, on subject:

i-sgksRkK-L.jpg

SHOW OFF!

The tank is for a buddy. He buys. I decorate. Want to see what everybody else is doing with it so when this thread popped up I was glad.

I'll give you the goni frag I have from Mr. Coral in exchange for a noob tshirt.

• 3 months later...

Wow! Everyone's tank in this thread look awesome!!! Anyone here with a Ridge tank? I put my order for one about a week ago. I'll post it up here as soon as its completely set! :happy:

• 1 month later...

Archived