Top Shelf Aquatics

Insert Clever Build Thread Title Here.

Pudding

Heed my advice, never try to build a stand where you never are. This amazingly crap-tastic stand is almost done, but a few more things here and there and it should be done. I'll get some pictures up when i manage to make my way to the stand.

Bam.

frame.jpg

Bam!

shelf.jpg

BAM!!

Stand5.jpg

Ok, so maybe it was kinda anti-climatic. After all, it has taken me several weeks to finish this stupid stand. :(

By the by, this stand looks amazing in pictures. If only i could see through the eyes of a lens. It truly looks stupid in person.

This is the gem that'll sit on top of that unfortunate stand. The thermometer inside should give it away. Cool points to anyone who knows what tank is it :)

DSC00104.JPG

Dear Glas*holes, I am not a fan of green apple. I ate the candy anyways.

DSC00101.JPG

Heard good things about this pump. It's the Eheim 1250

DSC00102.JPG

Of course i had to get a skimmer.

DSC00103.JPG

And the obligatory mp10es

DSC001091.JPG

Possible rock scape?

DSC001002.JPG

This build thread is likely going to be extremely slow and uneventful. I dont blame you if you hate it already. I have thought about stocking options, but I'm still not set on anything.

-Puddin'

Oh gosh haha. I have to be one of the most indecisive people ever. I figured i might as well take a long time thinking about what i want since I can only keep so many fish. I was thinking about a Wart-skinned angler, or a cherub angelfish or maybe even a red rooster waspfish. Oh the choices, the choices. Any suggestions? No clownfish for me though. Ever.

Cool points to anyone who knows what tank is it :)

Um some sort of oceanic???

I thought your stand looked good that tells you alot about mine :lol:

Um some sort of oceanic???

I thought your stand looked good that tells you alot about mine :lol:

Pictures are deceiving! Even without photoshop! And I bet your stand looks way better than mine! Post some pictures! :D

And nope, no cool-points for you :(

what do u have against clowns? u not like how they look or what? :huh:

Partially that. They look OK, but I've taken care of one for a while now, and i decided they were too nosy. I have a new NPS that need to be spot fed and i swear the clown has a never ending hole for a stomach. Not only that, but too many people have them. I want something different. Something people wouldnt normally see in a nano.

It's an ADA tank, I can tell from the thermometer and the last picture, it says "cube garden". :P

The question is though, what size is it?

It's an ADA tank, I can tell from the thermometer and the last picture, it says "cube garden". :P

The question is though, what size is it?

I forgot about the last picture. I wasnt planning on putting that one, but i used the top of it as a reference so i dont scratch up the glass or even break it while planning my aquascape. So 10 cool points for you. 20 points to anyone who can guess the size based on equipment and the size of the water jug :) There are a bunch of ADA fanatics here, arnt there?

60-P?

I concur!

Ah, Dasani is in the lead with 20 cool points. I actually ordered this tank almost two months ago. It has literally began to collect dust :slap:

So many things to do! I need baffles! Glass ones! Not the corny acrylic ones at the depot. I'm not quite sure how big to get them. I plan to get a 10g sump, so it's 10 inches wide. So for 10 inches, should i take off a quarter of an inch?

I need to get my tank drilled from my LFS since i would never trust myself drilling a tank. :eek:

I need to get some plumbing junks. So when i buy those massive lengths of PVC at the depot, am i supposed to walk around with it? Or can i get it cut for free there?

I need to get a ton of water.

I need to get a heater. (any suggestions?)

And i need a naso tang to cycle my rocks. :haha:

Ah, Dasani is in the lead with 20 cool points. I actually ordered this tank almost two months ago. It has literally began to collect dust :slap:

CHESSSSS.....

So many things to do! I need baffles! Glass ones! Not the corny acrylic ones at the depot. I'm not quite sure how big to get them. I plan to get a 10g sump, so it's 10 inches wide. So for 10 inches, should i take off a quarter of an inch?

hmmm, maybe bitts or seabass with more sump experience will pitch in. Sorry

I need to get my tank drilled from my LFS since i would never trust myself drilling a tank. :eek:

Me too. Mine is at the glass shop right now :lol:

I need to get some plumbing junks. So when i buy those massive lengths of PVC at the depot, am i supposed to walk around with it? Or can i get it cut for free there?

I would to it at home

I need to get a ton of water.

ro/di of course

I need to get a heater. (any suggestions?)

I use visi therm with no problems

And i need a naso tang to cycle my rocks. :haha:

Great choice! B)

Hm, But they sell it in like a bajillion feet tubes. :(

I have a stealth in my current set up, but the temp's never quite where i want it. My current tank sits at 82 average but the heater is set to 78. I blame it on stealth :D And they seem to leak stray voltage a lot?

I'll bring the tank to the LFS in a couple days when after i actually get my stand home. Which will probably be in another couple days :slap:

As for lighting, i will be doing LED's (Duh! :P ) I have 12 white XPG's, and 12 blue XRE's. I already have the power supply and some buck pucks. I'll probably be a modification on the buck pucks to make them awesome. I dont have any mounting or housing ideas though.

Any cool stocking suggestions anyone?

I settled on this scape. Theres one main overhang that will sit in the front and i was thinking of growing some acro's off on the side to give it a more shelf-y look. Theres also a small island over to the right that i thought looked cool. My mom isnt a fan of my leaving stuff on the floor <_<, so i had to use a sharpie to draw on the points where the rocks touched and drew an arrow on the side that faces up. I have pictures of that if anyone's interested.

post-55615-1283559483_thumb.jpg

I started cycling the rock since i knew it was going to take forever. Theres a K1 and a small pump in there to give it some flow. I added some random hydor heater and i put in my fancy (not really?) guppies that I've been acclimating for a month for eye candy and nutrients. The SG is around 1.020 but i decided if it was lower that i wouldnt have to worry about evap as much. Quick question, I have a glass top that fits, should i keep a clear lid on the thing, or should i just black out the whole thing with a trashbag? Right now, the bucket is wrapped in a trashbag, but the top is left open with a glass top to prevent evap, but i was thinking about covering the top so i dont get any algae.

post-55615-1283559684_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a really nice looking tank. Have you decided on livestock yet? Are you painting the background? Are you using sand? I must have details :P:D !

Bam.

Bam!

BAM!!

I've gotta say it....right there^, you sound remarkably like a 12 year old boy who was hanging around my little sister :eek::haha: [can you tell he didn't impress me? good thing it was only a few days.... :angry:<_<:wacko:]

That's going to be a really nice looking tank. Have you decided on livestock yet? Are you painting the background? Are you using sand? I must have details :P:D !

I've gotta say it....right there^, you sound remarkably like a 12 year old boy who was hanging around my little sister :eek::haha: [can you tell he didn't impress me? good thing it was only a few days.... :angry:<_<:wacko:]

I was thinking something crazy like an angler (super crazy, i know -_- ) or maybe a cherub angel. I'm still looking around. I want something showy and flashy. I have 40lb of marco sand. Its argonite (sp fail?) so I'm not sure if i really want two inches of it, but i need enough to cover up egg crate with a bunch to spare So mabe i will have to do two inches :(. I'm most definately going to paint the back black. I'm no fan of seeing pvc pipes

The sad thing is that I'm not far from 12 haha. Too bad this kid didnt have an ADA to give to you, right? :D Or a super ugly stand?

Well this sucks. My hopes of having a plumbed ADA have been crushed. I have no way of drilling a rimless. I was under the impression that my LFS could drill tanks, but i didnt know they discriminated on whether they had a rim or not. So I got driven there, only to get rejected :(

SO. Ideas-

1- Go buy a hole saw and practice drilling holes on a 10g. Hope that i dont mess up on the ADA

2- Ditch the idea of plumbing any tank and just use the ADA as is

3- Buy a 20l, plumb that, and set up both tanks.

I'm leaning towards option 3 since i really dont want to waste the equipment i have now. The ADA could be some kind of seahorse tank or some other kind of biotope/ species only kind of tank. Just throwing some idea's around. My biggest concern is that i would probably end up not being able to maintain three tanks (plus my current one) and i'd slack on maintenance a lot.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about that, but I'm not fan of siphon overflows. Its not that i dont think it can be done, its just.. i dont trust myself enough, ya know? :D Anyways, I guess i should change the topic of this thread to ADA 60p AND plumbed 20long. Are there any unique dimensions of rimmed tanks? I'm kind of running low on funding for this project here so i dont think i can get some too too crazy. haha Darn lack of consistent revenue.

The biggest concern is that it's a rimless and i dont want to stress the silicone joints or glass :\ I was thinking maybe a DIY fuge for the ADA. I kinda really want seahorses now. I'm not sure if i'll be able to take care of them. I've been reading a bit about them and I'm not sure whether i want the full sized, or the dwarfs.

For the 20l, i think I'm still going to do a feed. I guess i'm going to have to rethink my rockwork.

I did some research on sea horses a while back.

I would not do dwarfs. Your tank would be to big for them. They would get lost in it and be hard to find. Plus you have to feed them LIVE brine shrimp twice a day, so you would be hatching brine shrimp 24/7.

Why not do an NPS tank? with an HOB skimmer.

Check out this one. It's pretty sxe and won TOTM on RC. And you wouldn't have to spend tons of money on a light. You could get like a 2 bulb t5 with a true actinic and aquablue special.

It seems like a 18g is a terrible choice for any sea horses. Too big for dwarf's, too small for full sized. Well, looks like i'm not doing that idea. I like the NPS idea, but the upkeep is extremely tedious and slightly expensive. I have a few NPS in my current tank and i hate feeding them although they are beautiful. I'm thinking about getting some kind of species tank for the ADA. Maybe some kind of small lion. Incredibly hard, but maybe a fu-man-chu or a fuzzy. I'm scared it'll be too small though. Maybe an angler. I have no idea what i want :(

I think I am going to set up a 10g NPS tank after my 40B.

I can manage feeding 1-3x per day. Do you target feed yours or just let them catch food?

I think if it is a completly NPS dminated tank, I can just put in food, and they will catch it. But I will traget feed the dendros and sun coral.

Why not make the ADA a macro tank?

Archived