SaltCritters.com

Hydor Pico Evolution

jojoe972

I was looking at the information that another reefer had posted a few weeks ago about these new powerheads. Sorry I forgot who mentioned it so I can't give you credit. But it was an excellent discovery because on paper it looks like these things have about the same gph as the maxijets, lesser power consumption and smaller stature.

I brought this up to someone yesterday but another reefer on the thread stated that they had switched to this from a maxijet1200 and their heat has gone up in their tank. I was wondering if anyone else with these new powerheads has experienced this. I was going to get one this weekend but now I am kind of waiting to see if they do cause more heat.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one in my tank and I noticed a temp drop not to mention a noticeably stronger flow than the stock pump. I never tried the maxi-jet 1200 but I can't imagine it would produce less heat than the Pico Evolution especially since its twice the wattage.

It may just be coincidence that the users tank location is warmer now that it's Summer ;)

I have one in my tank and I noticed a temp drop not to mention a noticeably stronger flow than the stock pump. I never tried the maxi-jet 1200 but I can't imagine it would produce less heat than the Pico Evolution especially since its twice the wattage.

It may just be coincidence that the users tank location is warmer now that it's Summer ;)

Yea thats what i suggested but i just wanted to see what others ahve experienced. Which one did you get? the 1200?

Yup the Hydro Pico Evolution 1200. Rated at 300 gph. Make sure you remove the 90 degree connection and use a single hose to the outlet. It's a very powerful pump I really like it. Works great with the Hydor flo.

Yup the Hydro Pico Evolution 1200. Rated at 300 gph. Make sure you remove the 90 degree connection and use a single hose to the outlet. It's a very powerful pump I really like it. Works great with the Hydor flo.

did you have the stock one on it before? I have the maxijet900 but i like the idea of it being smaller and less power consumption. Thanks for the info on the single hose. What size hose did you use?

did you have the stock one on it before? I have the maxijet900 but i like the idea of it being smaller and less power consumption. Thanks for the info on the single hose. What size hose did you use?

Yeah I used the stock one prior to the upgrade during cycling and now use it for my water changes. Not sure the size but you can just take the green one it came with and go to home depot and ask them to cut you a piece from the bulk rolls of the matching size.

Let me clarify the issue of excess heat. When power is supplied to an electrical device some of the energy is converted to do work, in this case to move water, and some is lost as heat. The more efficient the device the higher the percentage of the energy is used for work. The wattage of the device has nothing to do with its work efficiency.

Let me clarify the issue of excess heat. When power is supplied to an electrical device some of the energy is converted to do work, in this case to move water, and some is lost as heat. The more efficient the device the higher the percentage of the energy is used for work. The wattage of the device has nothing to do with its work efficiency.

Thank you for that clarification. Dont know what to do now, lol. -_-

So, how efficient is the Pico? :D

I did a little more research from other people that have used the pump (as well as myself.) I found a thread in another forum posted by Robert of Neptune Aquatics. He mentioned that going from the MJ1200 to the Pico, temps went down by 2 degrees in their BC14. Another member mentioned that their temps went down by 4.

http://www.norcalreefclub.org/node/756

In my personal experience, I never had the MJ1200, but after installing the Pico in my BC14, after replacing the stocker, my temps didn't raise at all. Since I swapped out the stocker in my BC29 right off the bat, I can't comment on a rise or drop. As stated above, it could just be the timing. I found as it's getting warmer here in the Bay Area, leaving the back door open will stabilize my temps at 80 degrees in the daytime. However, if I close the back door, it will jump to 82+ no problem...

Reefmonster
Anybody else using the pico 1200?

I use it and I love it. It's cooler and quieter than the RIO 800, the stock pump, and the MJ pumps. I have both of the latter for sale if you wanna give it a shot, but IMO I would stick to the Hydor Pico 1200. The other thing is that it fits better than all the others except the stock pump. The rio fits, but it vibrates like heck and hums pretty loudly. I also like that the Hydor has an adjustable flow.

Premium Aquatics has it for around $26, and they ship really quickly.

I think you'll like it if you get it. I know I do.

I was hoping to use one, but it would have to be connected to a Hydor Rotating Flo Deflector and it would probably deplete the flow too much since it can't handle much pressure.

I was hoping to use one, but it would have to be connected to a Hydor Rotating Flo Deflector and it would probably deplete the flow too much since it can't handle much pressure.

? Wouldn't any pumps flow be reduced if you put the deflector on? Are you saying the Pico would be affected more than another pump?

I use it and I love it. It's cooler and quieter than the RIO 800, the stock pump, and the MJ pumps. I have both of the latter for sale if you wanna give it a shot, but IMO I would stick to the Hydor Pico 1200. The other thing is that it fits better than all the others except the stock pump. The rio fits, but it vibrates like heck and hums pretty loudly. I also like that the Hydor has an adjustable flow.

Premium Aquatics has it for around $26, and they ship really quickly.

I think you'll like it if you get it. I know I do.

Im going to the LFS to see how much their prices are on it because they just got them in. Foster's is having a sale on them and they are cheaper than Premium Aquatics I believe. I have the 900 right now and its fine but I dont know if ill have money for the pico right now. reefmonster did you change the stock tubing out as well.?

nanew reefer

someone get the information from the stock BC29 pump quick!

lets calculate it out!

i am going to be adding water as soon as my replcement tank arrives, and i will run a comparison test of the stock pump vs the pico 1200, no lighting, 24hrs each. I will let you know.

i hope more will comment with their experience.

btw Dr. Fosters & Smiths has them (Pico Evolution 1200) for like 18 bucks..

Reefmonster
reefmonster did you change the stock tubing out as well.?

Nope. I trimmed it about 1/4" and it worked fine. I do keep the chambers pretty flooded because I run Chaeto in Chamber 2. I really like this mod. I went to Home depot but they didn't have any hoses that matched bine so i just left it stock. It seems tto work just fine...I'll try this weekend to get out and get some new tubing...sounds interesting!

reefer let me know what caluclations you come up with!!!!

Reefmonster I have chaeto in the second chamber two but in another thread someone had replaced the stock hose with a plastic tube and said it worked better. Took off the 90 degree angle as well. Funny thing is they went to home depot with the stock tube and found a replacement. If I get it im going to change the tubing to see how much better it is.

Update it if you can on here and take a pic!!

Here's a pick looking down into the chamber. Looks like its a 5/8 hose. I got mine at Home Depot but Petco carries hose in bulk you can also buy by the foot.

post-52278-1276902477_thumb.jpg

? Wouldn't any pumps flow be reduced if you put the deflector on? Are you saying the Pico would be affected more than another pump?

yes.

the max pumping height of 28" compared to the mj1200 69"

Some pumps are designed to pump against head pressure and some aren't. Some are low flow high pressure and some are high flow low pressure.

the max pumping height of 28" compared to the mj1200 69"

Some pumps are designed to pump against head pressure and some aren't. Some are low flow high pressure and some are high flow low pressure.

Ok, I understand... So if I'm running them without the deflector and it's in a BC29, they should have the same slow, correct? Thanks again for the good info...

Archived