SaltCritters.com

StevieT's Magnetic ATO Float Project

StevieT

Any plans for a snail guard?

Nope, don't need one float is in the rear chamber, this is the current magnetic float that will be replaced.

IMG_0461.jpg

nice! like said before, maybe make it more compact and incorporate a snail guard.

are you sure the magnets from the mount dont affect the switches internals? I have mine mounted with a magnet as well and it certainly seems to have no effect. i guess its just not strong enough..

also, make a two switch version for redundancy and i'll buy one!

Very nice. This solves a lot of PITA mounting and adjusting water height problems. Using a zip tie right now = sucks.

nice! like said before, maybe make it more compact and incorporate a snail guard.

are you sure the magnets from the mount dont affect the switches internals? I have mine mounted with a magnet as well and it certainly seems to have no effect. i guess its just not strong enough..

also, make a two switch version for redundancy and i'll buy one!

I don't need a snail guard, this is in the rear chamber as pictured.

Magnets won't effect it, been using a system like this for 2.5 years

This is a two float system, one rear chamber one reservoir

This is in the DIY forum

maybe... I specialize in media baskets and this is a pretty custom piece with lots of variables for the customer's specific tank. Mass production is where it is at. For now this is for my tank and to show others how it is done since I have been asked a lot in the past on my last JBJ setup.

reeftankguy
This is a two float system, one rear chamber one reservoir

This is in the DIY forum

I'm liking it... Gonna make me one for my Tunze... Great job "T" ! ;)

no i meant two floats in the tank, in case one fails.

and yes i realize they're not actually for sale. i wouldn't really buy one anyways.

no i meant two floats in the tank, in case one fails.

Won't work with the reefkeeper and I guess I will take the chance for another 2.5 years.

I would def buy the bracket w/mag.

More manufactures like JBJ or Tunze should do this, it only makes sense. They already have the magnets in the factory...

don't tease me just yet, have a few more projects to get to first.

neanderthalman
What are my options with a refugium that keeps the same water level always?

Put a float or sensor in the display?

Your sensor has to go where the water level changes with evaporation. There is typically only one place.

Where do you look to see if you have to top up?

I do like the magnet idea.

I am looking to get an ATO myself, and have been searching on the forum. And the things I keep reading about is:

1. Use 2 float switches(safety)

2. Suction cups keep failing(magnet)

3. Only have enough water for to top off for a day (safety backup)

Stevie, i am curious why you are going with 1 float switch?

Also is IR better?

Thanks

I have always just used one float switch.

If you feel safer with two then go right ahead. I still need one in the reservoir so the pump will not run dry.

I feel stronger about a backup heater than a float switch. I don't really see how this thing will ever stick. Even with salt creep there is lots of room between the float and the plastic tube in the middle.

Not to mention there should never be salt creep since it is submerged.

If you only keep enough water for one day what is the point of the ATO? I have enough for 8-10 days and wish I had room for more.

Safety backup = net module. Emails upon emails if there is an issue.

I have no experience with IR. I have had the JBJ for 2.5 years, loved it. It just needs to be replaced finally since I have the RK fully operational and it occasionally has PMS.

neanderthalman
I have always just used one float switch.

If you feel safer with two then go right ahead. I still need one in the reservoir so the pump will not run dry.

I feel stronger about a backup heater than a float switch. I don't really see how this thing will ever stick. Even with salt creep there is lots of room between the float and the plastic tube in the middle.

Not to mention there should never be salt creep since it is submerged.

Spirorbid worms.

q-tip sponges.

macroalgae

coralline algae

hell, aipstasia.

You've got horseshoes up your ass stevie. You know, if you don't want to deal with a second floatswitch in the tank, for about $2 worth of components (2 resistors, capacitor, transistor), you can create a timer that will prevent the ato from running for more than a predetermined amount of time. It's really simple. Just ask.

Archived