ReefCleaners.org

Chromed Egg Crate for Frag Rack?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

I haven't had any luck finding any egg crate at any local hardware stores. A friend of mine came across this:

eggcrate.jpg

What do you think? I'm not sure about sticking this in my tank. I cut out pieces with a jewler's saw for the rack. Here they are:

rack.jpg

Do you think it's safe?

It's not real chrome is it?

I would be willing to bet that it is some form of plastic coating. However, it is more than likely just a coating and will peel off under the conditions of a salt water tank. My advice would be to shave off the coating and see what's under there. If it's the same as regular egg crate I'd throw it inthere and not worry about it.

But a test in some salt water for a month would be a great idea. If it ends up peeling or covered in GHA or something then you'll know not to use it.

DON'T PUT THAT IN YOUR TANK!!!!

Yes it is real chrome, it's called electro-plated chrome. Depending on what country it was manufactured in, it may have an under coat with copper in it.

Copper and Reef don't mix.

Mr. Microscope
DON'T PUT THAT IN YOUR TANK!!!!

Yes it is real chrome, it's called electro-plated chrome. Depending on what country it was manufactured in, it may have an under coat with copper in it.

Copper and Reef don't mix.

Yikes! Thanks!

Normal egg crate can be found at your home depot or lowes. Lighting section called : lighting diffuser

If you really have a hard time finding it PM me, I have lots of black egg crate to spare.

Plastic car parts are chromed.

History Channel just did Modern Marvels on it. They have to treat the plastic first before it will stick

Electroplating plastic? Does not compute.

That's what I was thinking. Isn't the idead behind electroplating to run a charge through the object to be plated and allow the mineral to be plated to strip off of an anode of one material (the material to be palted) and deposit on the a cathode of whatever material is to be plated?

Last time I checked plastic was not a conductive metal so i doubt that it's chrome. But still I would be careful.

I did a quick websearch and came up with a potential explanation: etch plastic with acid, deposit palladium by soaking, then electroplate in copper, chrome or another metal.

DVR is the only way I am able to watch TV. How it's made, factory made etc all rule and give me ideas.

We are all a bunch of geeks aren't we? Those are a few of my favorite shows.

they can electro plate anything. especially plastic. the charge is in the solution, not the part itself. It is usally a 3 step process as others stated. First copper plating, then nickel, then chrome. You don't want any of that in your reef.

+1 to geeks

the charge is in the solution, not the part itself.

Then can you explain how it "sticks"?

If the solution is positively charged, isn't the "object" negatively charged...to create an attraction?

That's my understanding at least.

That chrome eggcrate is not reef safe. You can chrome most anything these days. To chrome plastic you just have a different process to follow verses lets say a engine valve cover. The first step with plastic is an electro-less process after that it's more or less like chroming a bumper. And yes the charge goes through the part being chromed.

Archived