Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

16Gal Biorb Life 60 converting to Marine

KevKapawski

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ur going to need to hold off on the blenny. they feed on pods. but if u can find one that eats frozen foods then thats great.

???

I would double check my sources.

And then probably edit my post.

If I posted that.

You could well be right- but I aim to change your mind over the next few weeks/months/years...

Just watch this space for more updates on my attempts to convert it to a suitable home for my few fish and low light corals+CUC.

I dont intend on adding any live stock until it cycled fully and then I will run it until about may time at this point I aim to have it showing perfect test readings...

Thanks

Kev

STEP TWO

Due to the fish I want and my attempt to make it as natural as possible I will be trying to get some Live Rock and some Live Sand in there but still manage to keep the BiOrb Marine Filter setup...

Going to be hard but here is my plans so far. I am removing the ceramic media(stones), placing a modified plastic bowl around the filter to block the sand but still keep some Ceramic Media. (See below)

This will also allow the water to be sucked bown through the LR that will be positioned on and around the bowl of Ceramic Media and eventually into the Marine Filter.

post-50278-1265078560_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265079021_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265079040_thumb.jpg

Any tips would be welcomed with open arms... What you see above is what I have done from Dec 2009, up until my bowl cutting rampage this morning! :)

I have ordered some Bio-Active Live Sand(White) which my LFS say will arrive this week. Also, I have been on E3ay and bought a 'Hydor Koralia NANO Circulation Pump' wave device for some added flow...

The Live Rock(6kg) will be bought when I collect the LS from my LFS this week, and I will post the pics once its all in and running...

Again, any tips or advice is welcome(needed)

Thanks Kev

post-50278-1265079668.jpg

post-50278-1265079785_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265079925_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265080021_thumb.jpg

What light is running on this tank? Do you have the SW conversion kit purchased?

As for your stock wish list you have several on there that I do not think will do well with the dimensions of this tank. 16.5"L X 11"W X 25"H then take out the space that the filter setup occupies, and there isn't much left for a sand bed or a PVC home for a jawfish. Just because you have a PVC home for a jawfish doesn't mean that it will use it. I would look at getting a tailspot blenny, and either a pair of clown gobies or sharknose gobies. That would be all as far as fish.

For inverts, scratch the sea slug and starfish entirely. You might get some of the micro brittle stars and asterina starfish as hitchhiker on your live rock is you purchase it from an established tank. Get an astrea snail, and a cerith or two and call it good. Leave the hermit crabs out as well. They will just kill your snails. Get pom pom or porcelain crabs if you must have crabs in your tank.

For shrimp a trio of sexies, and maybe a cleaner shrimp.

Coversion kit not bought, just boughts the marine service kit instead, as it containes the needed stufff minus the artificial LR and Plant that I would not use anyhow, I intend on putting LR + LS in...

Sort of having second thoughts as I now dont have a device for testing water SG.

Another question if I may?!.

What test kits would you get in my position and what brands?

Some direct advice... Thanks m8, much appreciated. Will do some thinking :P

Still waiting for Live Sand and Live Rock... Will post update and pic's hopefully by end of week!

Any tips or advice whilst waiting would be nice B)

post-50278-1265281420_thumb.jpg

Hi just saw your post and had to sign up we are doing the same as I had to get rid of large tank due to baby I have mine set up with media and live rock already what stage are you at now has your sand arrived yet

Hi just saw your post and had to sign up we are doing the same as I had to get rid of large tank due to baby I have mine set up with media and live rock already what stage are you at now has your sand arrived yet

Hi mate,

Good to know there are others out there :)

The progress so far;

1)- Tank received, opened, setup and filled with water

2)- Ceramic Media removed

3)- Bowl place around base of filter to prevent sand entering the filter

4)- 4x500g bags of Reef salt added, 1x BiOrb Marine Service Kit Cartridge fitted

5)- 50w heater added and set to 27'c

6)- Sand ordered fro Local Fish Store

7)- Going to collect Sand+Live Rock TODAY!!!

Once all is in I will take the pic's and post em...

Thanks and good luck with your LIFE :D

Kev

Cool looking forward to seeing it. After seeing your bowl idea we are going to do the same,hope u don't mind lol. Have just been and bought another two kilos of live rock today and one had some polyps one-yay! Has been in the tank around two hours now and is starting to open up. Have had loads of little critters appearing from first lot of live rock such as brittle star fish etc.

Cool looking forward to seeing it. After seeing your bowl idea we are going to do the same,hope u don't mind lol. Have just been and bought another two kilos of live rock today and one had some polyps one-yay! Has been in the tank around two hours now and is starting to open up. Have had loads of little critters appearing from first lot of live rock such as brittle star fish etc.

Not posted last few days as my Live Sand has still not arrived at the LFS :(

Expecting it this week or finding another supplier!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

1# Got LR and put it in tank(but been told the LS has just come off the container and need wait a few more days) :mellow:....

2#Popped some Live Rock frags and Ceramic Media down my air pipe, Dont ask why, just thought I would do some unique filtration- will get your thoughts on it after posting pic's no doubt :P

HitchHikers!!!

Got 2x Mushroom Corals as Hitchikers, brittle worms, some unknown coral like shapes and a few really tiny Keyhole Limpets. Also, found a really weird looking cacoon shaped thing that looks like a pip out of a peach????

Got some brown bubble algae(soon to be removed) and some little baloons attached to some LR that looks like when you blow a bubble with chewing gum- looks differnt to the Algae tho!!?

Will post a load of pictures tomorow so you guys can ID it all for me.

Any early suggestions on the unknown Hitchhikers prior to the pics would be welcome :)

UPDATE!

Here are my Hitchhikers, some I think I can ID but some suggestions maybe...

#1 unknown clam?

#2 three little coral shapes?

#3 Anenome?

Can anyone ID them?

post-50278-1266676661_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1266676739_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1266676765_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1266676813_thumb.jpg

UPDATE!

Here is the tank fully setup, minus the powerhead and LS.

Water readings and temp are good after two weeks just going to wait till I have cycle the LS then should be putting the fish in tank April/May.

As you will see the BiOrb Life filter system is still in use with the modified bowl hidden under rocks + I have put LR rubble and ceramic media down Air tube to help with the Bio-Filtration :)

post-50278-1266677759_thumb.jpg

I have been looking into what lighting I could get for the tank- the only problem is my Wife doesnt want any external equiptment on show. Maybe if I could find something that will sit in or on top nicely without overheating or melting problems then that would be a start.

Any suggestions preferably small and compact but powerful...

Thanks

Kev

Hi,

I just order this same tank yesterday and i'm looking at a marine setup. I have been reading so much that my head is hurting and confused.

With your setup how is the LR fixed? Is it just loose around the filter pipe, if so how would you replace the filter without taking the LR down each time?

Apolgies if this is a stupid question but why do you actually need the filter in there when you have the LR??

Hi,

I just order this same tank yesterday and i'm looking at a marine setup. I have been reading so much that my head is hurting and confused.

With your setup how is the LR fixed? Is it just loose around the filter pipe, if so how would you replace the filter without taking the LR down each time?

Apolgies if this is a stupid question but why do you actually need the filter in there when you have the LR??

Hi mate,

Done about 6 months of solid research myself and I can tell you the headaches stop after a while and it all starts to stick and become enjoyable...(Stick with nano-reef.com and you wont go far wrong!)

I have four pieces of LR as shown, I have the one at front bottom(large white one) just hiding filter housing, one to right of it just looking pretty(small dark stick) and the two at back(large LR) stacked on top of each other.

The LR is positioned to the rear of the tube resting on rear of tank and the rest is just sat on and in front of the tray. Hopefully it will just be a case of hand in tank to move the large white LR and then twist and pull the Air tube out with filter attached. The problem anyone will have with the 'Life' tank like ours is the fact the air stone is attached to bottom of tank and not the filter tube. Again a case of armpit in :) or a tweezer type rod.

I was toying with the idea of keeping the Filter System that 'Reef-One' do, but have now decided to swap the cartridge with LR rubble as shown above and fill Air tube with it also. I aim to use the 6Kg of LR and a few inches of Live Sand as my main bio-filtration.

Good Luck and keep me posted on your progress

Kev

Hi mate,

Done about 6 months of solid research myself and I can tell you the headaches stop after a while and it all starts to stick and become enjoyable...(Stick with nano-reef.com and you wont go far wrong!)

I have four pieces of LR as shown, I have the one at front bottom(large white one) just hiding filter housing, one to right of it just looking pretty(small dark stick) and the two at back(large LR) stacked on top of each other.

The LR is positioned to the rear of the tube resting on rear of tank and the rest is just sat on and in front of the tray. Hopefully it will just be a case of hand in tank to move the large white LR and then twist and pull the Air tube out with filter attached. The problem anyone will have with the 'Life' tank like ours is the fact the air stone is attached to bottom of tank and not the filter tube. Again a case of armpit in :) or a tweezer type rod.

I was toying with the idea of keeping the Filter System that 'Reef-One' do, but have now decided to swap the cartridge with LR rubble as shown above and fill Air tube with it also. I aim to use the 6Kg of LR and a few inches of Live Sand as my main bio-filtration.

Good Luck and keep me posted on your progress

Kev

I feel better now I have had a sleep :) .

I have been reading another fourm as well, don't know if I can mention it, doesn't really matter. Anyway they suggest that the tube is removed and the air pipe blocked off and filter removed.

Then fitting a couple of Hydor Koralia Nano, one to break the surface the other to pass flow through the LR.

I shall keep reading, what do you think of this idea? Cheers for any help.

I noticed you are in Cheshire have you used Urmston Aquatics??

I feel better now I have had a sleep :) .

I have been reading another fourm as well, don't know if I can mention it, doesn't really matter. Anyway they suggest that the tube is removed and the air pipe blocked off and filter removed.

Then fitting a couple of Hydor Koralia Nano, one to break the surface the other to pass flow through the LR.

I shall keep reading, what do you think of this idea? Cheers for any help.

I noticed you are in Cheshire have you used Urmston Aquatics??

Hi Mate,

Dont think 'Nano-reef' would mind too much- I also check a few others but use this as my primary forum :)

I used to live in Manchester so know Urmston Aquatics well...Not used it recently tho, got all my stuff from www.cheshirewaterlife.co.uk my LFS.

You will probably find almost every forum suggests removing anything BiOrb... they would suggest removing the tank if they could! The fact is the UGF(EDIT: Under Gravel Filter) used by Reef-One is patented so cant be used by other nano tanks- maybe this is a key reason for its non popularity? + UGF's are not a popular filter anyway.

I have received loads of advice about binning BiOrbs filter, but no one can back their suggestions up with a reason or a valid one. Personally on first look I thought to remove the filter and tube to create more space, truth is it doesnt take up much room and it helps circulate the water dramatically and if I use LR rubble in filter this would be a plus. Also, I will be putting in a Wave device/Power Head but only one as that much flow in a small tank would not be needed. Save on the space and put another 50w heater in as a safety backup if your other one fails- fish wont survive long without the heater but will survive if the wave device fails.

Every tank is unique so you need to consider what you have in mind and what would work best. One word of advice I would give is to gather as much info as possible then make your own mind up.

Good Luck

Kev

Archived