Top Shelf Aquatics

Rimless Biocube 29

bubba17311

Here is my newest mod to my biocube 29. I went rimless as you can see. The hardest part of it was commiting to doing it. Enjoy the pic's. Happy to answer any questions.

post-42117-1264879369_thumb.jpgpost-42117-1264879360_thumb.jpgpost-42117-1264879352_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
westcoastreefer84

Looks sick! I also went rimless on my 12g pod. I'm glad mine was empty. I bet it was a PITA full of water. I also took the entire rim off, none in the back.

Looks sick! I also went rimless on my 12g pod. I'm glad mine was empty. I bet it was a PITA full of water. I also took the entire rim off, none in the back.

Westcoast i was thinking about the back also is there any thing vital attached to it?

WOW! That looks so much better. What a nice clean look to it!

Hopefully without the rim the glass is stable and will not break... If this does hold up I would def like to do this to my tank also!

How did you go about taking the rim off?

WOW! That looks so much better. What a nice clean look to it!

Hopefully without the rim the glass is stable and will not break... If this does hold up I would def like to do this to my tank also!

How did you go about taking the rim off?

i did this over two weeks ago and no sign of stress.

First you need to run a razor blade or sharp scraper all around the rim to cut the silicone. Next i took a small hacksaw and cut the rim into two pieces. Take care not to hit the glass. When you start to get close to cutting through the plastic pry the rim away from the glass to make it easier to cut. yes it will put shavings in the water but i ran some filter floss to remove it. After the rim is cut in to the pieces you need to pry and lift the rim towards the inside of the tank. I will be tough at first but it does come off. Just need to get through the rest of the silicone. Once off use the razor blade to remove the rest of the silicone. I hope that this answers you question. Feel free to ask more.

I'm having a dificult time getting the rim off.. and tips?

Did you cut each side at the back and one cut in the front center? You can be a little rough with it is going to take some persuasion. Also lift and pry it towards the inside of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked about doing this sometime ago and have seen a few done, I love the way they look but I am too P@#%y to do it, if decide to do this I'm wondering if a hot knife or something like that would be easier?

Thats how I cut the the lip off to allow more water flow in the first chamber or chamber 2, whichever lol

I talked about doing this sometime ago and have seen a few done, I love the way they look but I am too P@#%y to do it, if decide to do this I'm wondering if a hot knife or something like that would be easier?

Thats how I cut the the lip off to allow more water flow in the first chamber or chamber 2, whichever lol

i am worried about the hot knife. it might melt the laminate on the glass. but not sure.

just updated bulbs yesterday. I have a Nova Extreme 4x24. I went with Geisemann 2 aquablue+, 1 actinic+, and 1 pure actinic. The colors are incredible.

Archived