Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jae4571's 2 Gal Pico Contest Build

jae4571

This is my tank thread for the Pico contest.

The tank is a Deco Kit 2 Gallon Nano Tank from TOM (purchase price $5)

Lighting:

*Stock Compact Fluorescent Perch-Light Fixture 13W 50/50 (7,400K Daylight/14,000K True Actinic)

*Custom LED moonlight kit-$10

Filtration is stock:

*Rapids Mini Power Filter, 80 gallons per hour flow rate!

Clean up crew: two(2) blue leg hermits and one(1) margarita snail

Invertebrates:

Purple/White Feather Duster-$13.97

Coral:

Zoa frag of 6 green/blue Radioactive Zoas placed on Tonga live rock-$13

Zoa frag with a Metalic Blue Mushroom (containing Fruit Loop, Whammin Watermelon and Blue Ice)=$15

1 green Zebra stripped Mushroom-$10

2 brown mushrooms-$7 each

1 Metalic Blue Mushroom-$5

1 Green/Purple Florida Ricordea-$10

1 Orange/Purple Florida Ricordea-$15

1 rock containing 4 Green Florida Ricordea's-$20

Frag of Metallic Green Star Polyps-$5

Total Livestock Cost: $113.97

FTS 04/03/2010

04-03-2010-2.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I spent about a half hour today building a platform for the Pico. Here are some photo's of the rough project. It still needs to be painted and sealed.

DSC04278.jpg

DSC04281.jpg

DSC04282.jpg

Today I also went down to my friends shop and decided to use some Live Tonga rock in the main display tank. I'm waiting until monday (01-25-2010) to pick it up. I was contemplating using some Indo-Pacific live sand (Black and White) but have decided to just use some live sand out of my 20 Gal Long.

I'm also contemplating paiting the back and right acrylic walls blue. We'll have to wait and see...

animalmaster6
The one that you and hlander are putting on. I signed up on page 29...

THought So. Just making sure. Everything's all confused there is so many contests lol

Anyway,

:welcome: to the pico contest Jae!

I have to tell everybody this: It is EXTREMELY important!!!

You HAVE to put a FTS on the FTS thread every other Sunday. The FTS thread will be made on January 25, 2010 when you are aloud to add rock, sand, water, and life.

If you do not follow the directions correctly on the FTS thread or you miss a FTS you will de DQ'd.

animalmaster6
Thanks for the info...I'm imaging that there will be a link to the FTS thread on the Pico Contest thread that we can go to....?

Yes, I'm making the FTS thread tonight or tomorrow

Love the stand!!!

Thanks! I just used some scrap molding pieces I had lying around in the garage. I was going to go to Home Depot and buy some crown molding to use but my toddlers nap time never played out right to get there.

On a side note I decided to paint the back and side walls. I went to Michaels today and bought some glass/acrylic paint ($3.29) and sponge brush ($0.99). The tank is taped up and I am waiting for a chance to apply the paint.

DSC04283.jpg

DSC04284.jpg

So here's my progress with the painting and the finished product.

DSC04295.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

DSC04299.jpg

I also went by my LFS this evening. The owner gave me the Tonga live rock at no charge :D ! Here are some pics of the rock sitting in my 20 Gal Long Nano. (2lbs at $3 per pound. Not a huge savings but hey every little bit helps right.)

DSC04293.jpg

DSC04294.jpg

Needless to say I'm looking forward to the 25th!!!

Post the pic with sunglasses on ur 1st post and u will be good for the FTS deadline tonight at midnight (tomorrow) your time :)

Deadline is 01/25 at midnight...right?

animalmaster6
Here's my tank and stand finished....I may add an ATO unit later...we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

FTS 01/24/2010 1900hrs

DSC04313.jpg

Great! Put that on the FTS Thread and your 1st post and you are set to go!

Although you're my comp I gotta say that tank and platform are awesome. Good luck.

Thanks dude! I've only been in the hobby for 4 months. I was basically given this tank and thought it would be fun to enter and learn. I've had a lot of fun with my 20 long and all of the corals I have in it have been growing! So we'll see how this goes. I'm looking forward to seeing your build as well!

When the competition is over I'm planning on getting a 37 gallon and merging the two tanks.

OK so I set up the Pico today with 2 lbs of Tonga live rock and about an inch layer of live sand from my established 20gal long. Here are some pics:

DSC04318.jpg

DSC04319.jpg

DSC04323.jpg

DSC04329.jpg

Archived