Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dasani's 20H Tank of Epicness! (Pic Update 3-28-10 PG.3)

Dasani

Well you may have seen my old forum. It was getting kind of long and was pretty boring so I decided to just start a shorter and sweeter one, so here we go.

After about 3 months of planning I recieved most of my equipment for Christmas. Thank you mommy lol. So my current equipment list as of 1-19-10. This will change but probably not accuratly. I will probably forget to update it, so bear with me please. Here goes:

20g tall tank

JBJ K-2 70w Metal Halide Viper Clamp Lamp

Aquaclear 30 (I think I will eventually add an Emperor 280.)

50w Marine Land Heater

Petco submersible thermometer

Koralia 1

Stock List:

13 lbs of base rock

2 lbs of live rock (adding more later)

1.5" thick live sand bed

1 onyx clown

1 b/w occie clown

1 bangaii cardinal

8 turbo snails

2 blue legs hermits

1 green mushroom

1 orange yuma ric

orange bam bam zoas

radio active dragon eye zoas

whammin water melon zoas

un-id zoas

teal ring zoas

fire and ice zoas

frogspawn

Green star polyps

My Wishlist:

darth maul zoas

Yellow Polyps

Assorted mushrooms

I'm not really familiar with acans but I will probably get some. Just don't know what kinds.

Hammer

Orange monti cap

Green Birdsnest

Small Blue Acropora

and w/e I see that I like :)

Current FTS as of 3-28-10:

DSC01984.jpg

So thanks for viewing. Feel free to comment, or complain.

awesome. good luck! you think your gonna stick with that rockscape?

Probably not. I am getting some Live rock eventually. BTW this is 13 lbs of base rock (forgot to post above). I want to do a cave kind of thing like clownfish14. But the guy I got my rock from did 2 lil islands and I did this so this was technically my 1st aquascape. :)

Sure that 70w Viper is going to be enough light for a 20H?

yup, i was planning on getting a 10g but i was surprised with the 20 and all the stuff fitted for a 10. o well it works

Is the tank still cycling? How long has water been in it and did you seed it with anything?

The tank is cycling, been cycling for 13 days now, my test kit should be here by next week so ill test it then. Half the water came from my 75g and so did half the sand. I added more sand and rock that i got at my LFS. Not really sure what seed with anything meens, lol sorry, but no. I added sand, a week later added more sand and rock. So the rock hasn't been in long

I think the latest scape is a winner but it's hard to tell with the picture taken from above. How about a shot from in front, level with the tank? The layout looks good, it just looks real short in the pics.

I think the latest scape is a winner but it's hard to tell with the picture taken from above. How about a shot from in front, level with the tank? The layout looks good, it just looks real short in the pics.

Look at the 1st pic, the current FTS on the 1st post, that ones a lil more level. Yes it is short. :( My peices are small, I am supposed to get some more rock in the near future.

This is seeding:

Half the water came from my 75g and so did half the sand.

"Seeding" from your old tank

Well than yes I did seed it. :)

Update 1-22-10:

My tank is finally ready for some livestock. I went to my LFS to pick up some sofites, and MANNN, I SCORED!!!

I love my LFS. The owners grow their own corals and then frag um and sale the frags, so I get really good deals. Plus the store is in their house. Anyway heres what I got to start me off:

I got some zoas (forgot what they called um) they have a really bright neon orange skirt it has 5 polyps on it. I got it for $5

I got 6 heads of (told they were radioactive dragon eyes) but these dont have the bluish color in the center, anywho they were only $5

I got a stalk of kenya tree for free :)

and then my best buy was a frag of armor of God, and a polyp of Whammin watermelons. $5 for both!!!

also it turns out when we took out the armor it had 2 small heads underneath the 1 big one. :)

So I spent $15 on 5 frags. Good deal or what? I'll post pics tomorrow, my lights just went out.

Also I have a question. How fast do the whammin watermelons grow? The polyp I got is about as big as your pinky finger nail. I was just wondering how long it would take for these to start growing heads.

Thanks! Tell me what you think please!

Update 1-22-10:

My tank is finally ready for some livestock. I went to my LFS to pick up some sofites, and MANNN, I SCORED!!!

I love my LFS. The owners grow their own corals and then frag um and sale the frags, so I get really good deals. Plus the store is in their house. Anyway heres what I got to start me off:

I got some zoas (forgot what they called um) they have a really bright neon orange skirt it has 5 polyps on it. I got it for $5

I got 6 heads of (told they were radioactive dragon eyes) but these dont have the bluish color in the center, anywho they were only $5

and then my best buy was a frag of armor of God, and a polyp of Whammin watermelons. $5 for both!!!

also it turns out when we took out the armor it had 2 small heads underneath the 1 big one. :)

So I spent $15 on 5 frags. Good deal or what? I'll post pics tomorrow, my lights just went out.

Also I have a question. How fast do the whammin watermelons grow? The polyp I got is about as big as your pinky finger nail. I was just wondering how long it would take for these to start growing heads.

Were due for some pics :P

Were due for some pics :P

My lights just went out, and they didn't really open up all the way since I put um in an hour b4 the lights went out. My lights will come on around 12 p.m central time Tomorrow. I'll post some pics about and hour or 2 after the lights come on, so they'll have time to open up :D

My lights just went out, and they didn't really open up all the way since I put um in an hour b4 the lights went out. My lights will come on around 12 p.m central time Tomorrow. I'll post some pics about and hour or 2 after the lights come on, so they'll have time to open up :D

Ahh okay, im going to be starting a thread about my 65 when my lights come on tomorrow too..

have to take a pic of my tang who has a fungus.. pm when you has pics :D

Ahh okay, im going to be starting a thread about my 65 when my lights come on tomorrow too..

have to take a pic of my tang who has a fungus.. pm when you has pics :D

alright

Well I couldn't wait lol. I set my light to come one 4 hours early to look at my frags :) Lights have been on about 45 mins. MY armor of God immediatly opened up, the others are getting there. I'll have pics of them later.

Heres the armor of God. See the small head below the big one? Theres another one a lil bigger behind it. Hasn't opened all the way but it's getting there.

DSC01728.jpg

And my Kenya tree. My LFS told me they take a couple of days to perk up, so It should be good tomorrow but it looks 80% better than it did last night.

DSC01727.jpg

I'll get more pics of the others when they open up.

Thanks! Please comment or complain!

Kenya doesn't look good at all.

The zoas aren't anywhere near your filter from the pic you posted. Maybe just let them chill for a nother couple days and see what goes.

Did you ever get a test kit? What are you water parameters?

test kit supposed to come in thursday. The guy that does our 75g said I was ready 4 some softies after he tested it. The LFS told me the kenya when look like crap for a few days but it was free

It was free..... Why not?

Just because something is free doesnt always mean its good for your tank. I could have gotten some sweet SPS for like 3 dollar a frag but I know I dont have good enough lights. My tank is just a little bit older than yours and I cant picture my self adding corals for atleast another 3 weeks.

Just because something is free doesnt always mean its good for your tank. I could have gotten some sweet SPS for like 3 dollar a frag but I know I dont have good enough lights. My tank is just a little bit older than yours and I cant picture my self adding corals for atleast another 3 weeks.

I took the water and sand from my 2 year old 75g. I'm not very patient and when I know I'm ready. I go.

Update 1-22-10:

Dasani could you share the name and location of this LFS, I am looking for some place reliable in North Alabama. You said it's in the owners house, are they just doing frags or are they full service?

Archived