Cultivated Reef

Best reef safe pico pets other than gobies?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

As far as I can see, the only option other than a gobie is a porcelain crab. I've seen people with yellowtail damsels, but it seems like they wouldn't have enough swimming room. I don't want any other crabs/shrimp because corals are my main focus and I don't want to risk it. I just want to add a little movement to my tank. I like how the porcelain crab looks, but I've head that they mostly hide.

Any thoughts? What do you have in your pico?

be careful with sexy shrimp, i always thought they were reef safe but mine apparently was not because it started to bother my trumpet coral after a while. i fed it everyday and i eventually just had to take it out or lose the coral

Mr. Microscope
blue hippo tang all the way

Haha! Why stick with just one? Might as well add an emperor angelfish into the mix.

be careful with sexy shrimp, i always thought they were reef safe but mine apparently was not because it started to bother my trumpet coral after a while. i fed it everyday and i eventually just had to take it out or lose the coral

Yes, I really like the sexy shrimp, but I've heard that they can mess with stuff.

+1 I have a sexy in my 3gal right now and am trying to get rid of him because he took a liking to one of my acans and now it's been a week and two heads are gone :angry:

Mr. Microscope

Are there any other fish? I wish people were breeding clowns (or any fish for that matter) to be super tiny. People do it with dogs and cats.

theyellowdart

I've seen people with dottybacks, but I have no idea how well they would work long term. They don't stay as small as most gobies.

I think it was got2envy who put one in her pico... All I remember is it wasn't very happy for some reason so she ended up having to move it to her larger tank.

Mr. Microscope

I've got a couple of micro brittles and one or two asterinas. That's not exactly the kind of movement I'm looking for. Very pretty though. Good shot. I'd love to find some blue starfish like that. However, starfish (other than brittlestars) don't have the best reputation for being reef safe.

and some anthias

Ryeguy28, what kind of fish is that in your Barracuda?

Jacobnano I did not relize this was your thread ? I enjoy watching my bumble bee shrimp, thay are small and would get lost or go unseen in a larger tank. But seeing I keep them in a 2.5 gallon they are very noticeabel. I especally enjoy seeing the baby ones when they apear!

Jacobnano I did not relize this was your thread ? I enjoy watching my bumble bee shrimp, thay are small and would get lost or go unseen in a larger tank. But seeing I keep them in a 2.5 gallon they are very noticeabel. I especally enjoy seeing the baby ones when they apear!

I think the "No" had more to do with the sand sifting star - probably a poor choice in a pico.

Mr. Microscope
If putting a fish in these tiny tanks, doesn't the huge increase in bioload cause another cycle?

Yes, certainly that is a concern. I think if you are very careful with feedings it might not be too much of an issue.

I enjoy watching my bumble bee shrimp, thay are small and would get lost or go unseen in a larger tank. But seeing I keep them in a 2.5 gallon they are very noticeabel. I especally enjoy seeing the baby ones when they apear!

Sounds like fun. Little shrimp are cool. What do you think about them messing with corals? Shrimp also don't have the best reputation for being reef safe. I wouldn't want something munching my zoas or GSP.

Mr. Microscope
i know your trying not to get gobies but check this one out. i've seen this one in tanks and in the wild and is quite different fom other gobies.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1144

That does actually look pretty cool. I've read about another kind of goby that just started to be available to the hobby. It's got a bunch of orange on it and the dorsal fin has a large point at the front. It's called a Yashia Goby, but apparently it's really hard to get and also very expensive.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1145

Archived