Top Shelf Aquatics

JoeD's Sexy Playground

JoeD

This should be a fun tank... and contest.

interior dimensions are:

17"x17"x6.25", sectioned off to have a display of 17"x10.75"x6.25, with the balance being used for a fuge.

Total volume is under 8g. The overflow is toothless, and approximately 1/4" below the top of the tank. Fuge area will be wrapped with black vinyl, and covered with an acrylic top. Reverse light cycle will be used. 2 mj 600's will be used for the returns on a wavemaker of some sort. Quite possibly a RKL, which I can also setup to control an ATO. Lighting will be a pendant 70w Aquamedic light that I won in a WAMAS raffle..... not bad for a $2 ticket.

Tank is designed to be a lookdown style lagoon.

Stocking plans include LR island with mangroves that hopefully can be maintained in a dwarf bonsai style manner.... Part of the reason I'm so happy with the year long timeframe.

Also plan on zoas, other softies, and maybe some LPS.

Hermits, porcelain crab, urchin, shrimp, and possibly a pair of small fish. The fuge cover will double as a fishsaver for the toothless overflow.... 1/4" gap.

That's the thoughts for now... I pick up the tank soon.

Current FTS

5aozn6.jpg

The red object is my version of a soda can... Included for perspective.

2il0qox.jpg

I am clueless about the stand at this point.

Thoughts, criticisms, etc. appreciated.

If you can pull it off, it will be sweet. I am scared you might have too much flow for a look down tank. I could be wrong. I will be waiting to see what comes out. Good Luck. Mark

If you can pull it off, it will be sweet. I am scared you might have too much flow for a look down tank. I could be wrong. I will be waiting to see what comes out. Good Luck. Mark

Yeah, it's the "IF" factor that bothers me :) Nothing ventured....

Hoping that the mj 600's running 1 at a time, and good rock placement will work out...

Personally I would probably use MJ400's, I think the 600's might be too strong.

I tried using a MJ600 on a 5.5g before and it was too strong for that, so....

Nice. You should get a few tangs for that!! ;)

Hmm, I think we should be asking how many pairs of clowns it can hold. Tangs are for nubs :P

Picked up tank today....

Tank build by WAMAS member NAGA

jeffhaddock@comcast.net

410-703-5383

He will ship.

Sweet tank, thanks Jeff.

24zht05.jpg

Tank

30ufe3p.jpg

Topless

x4n3hd.jpg

'fuge lid

2eoxmh4.jpg

Fishsaver idea

Tank looks good, I have to put the partitions in the back once I get the plumbing sorted out... Does that make it DIY? :P

Considering going with smaller pumps.... tks Weetabix7 and Deep Thief... I can always swap out for larger if need be.. Also considering using 2 different gph pumps to create alternating types of flow......

Sweet looking tank -- he did a great job building it. And yes it's still basically DIY. No different then buying a glass tank and adding partitions. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to update when there's not much going on.... But here's where I'm at now...

Pick up some very nice LR... Nice coraline coverage and very little in the way of macros. Only hh I've seen are stars. (rock currently in 5.5g waiting). Found a deal on a marineland 40g column stand that I plan to add a riser to. RKL as controller and ATO. Lotsa stocking plans, but no decisions.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to share with you some ideas for my tank in hopes that you will use them, as I think your tank could pull them off 10x better than mine could!

I have a tiny spot of rock that sits outside of the water, which John Maloney is going to find me some tidal mosses and plants to grow on top of. I will also be doing a mangrove bonsai on my rock, trying to manipulate the roots as best as I can as well. He also suggested some gorgonians that grow as epiphytes on mangrove roots which I am planning on using as well. Then to top it off, I am going to be getting some red fiddler crabs to take advantage of the exposed rock.

Here is my small portion:

022310-003.jpg

Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out, I like your plans so far!

I'm going to share with you some ideas for my tank in hopes that you will use them, as I think your tank could pull them off 10x better than mine could!

I have a tiny spot of rock that sits outside of the water, which John Maloney is going to find me some tidal mosses and plants to grow on top of. I will also be doing a mangrove bonsai on my rock, trying to manipulate the roots as best as I can as well. He also suggested some gorgonians that grow as epiphytes on mangrove roots which I am planning on using as well. Then to top it off, I am going to be getting some red fiddler crabs to take advantage of the exposed rock.

Here is my small portion:

022310-003.jpg

Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out, I like your plans so far!

Regarding John.... That two timing piece of..... :) yeah I'm working with him also. Great guy. I'll be curious to see how all this works out. Very similar plans/ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Archived