inTank Media Baskets

fratitude's attempt at a SPS tornado...Vortech style

Fratitude

Well I started this tank last november, and it has done well but its time to start over and luckily with 3 gallons its not hard to!

I am going to post my hardware, live stock and a couple teaser pics because tomorrow im taking it all apart and starting over!

Im thinking of doing a 2.5 gal sump and drilling the picotope, or should I stick with the HOBs??

sorry for the poor pictures, only got the cell phone handy right now.

Overall FTS:

pico14.jpg

NEW TANK! 5.2gals (02-18-2010)

PicoNEW1.jpg

Filter

PicoNEW4.jpg

Tank(03-02-2010)

picoNEW11.jpg

(more new pics in thread as it goes..)

Hardware:

-MP10 vortech :) On about 20% power and short pulse for a nice little wave.

-PAR 38 20K lamp w/ the 40degree optics (soon to change to 60)

-3 gal RO res.

Livestock:

More to come! zoas and SPS only.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im thinking of doing a 2.5 gal sump and drilling the picotope, or should I stick with the HOBs??

Drilling w/ sump is better but it sort of ruins it for being able to sit it on a counter top. I agonized about this same decision with my 9g CADlights. I decided on drilling.

I would personally do a 5.5 gallon... more water volume is better always IMO... I'm never getting a pico, I just don't see the fun of it.

for the contest, gotta start over to be fair! plus like Niblets hasnt discovered, half the fun of pico reefs is setting them up!!! IMO haha

why are you tearing it down.. its a nice tank

thanks too btw! there are aspects that I wish I did differently, this is my chance

Drill it! Who cares about it sitting on the countertop. Drill the countertop too.

+1 I have seen some really nice pico's that were drilled. Drilled counter (or desk) and a fluval for filtration and water movement.

for the contest, gotta start over to be fair! plus like Niblets hasnt discovered, half the fun of pico reefs is setting them up!!! IMO haha

+1 on setting them up is half the fun. Also being able to rebuild any mistakes you made along the way should make a better pico in the long run.

since you are planning to do away with the HOBs maybe you could drill the back of the tank and put the overflow there then it would only take up the top corner of one side instead of one whole corner of the tank.

if i did drill it I would do an internal coast to coast I think. always wanted one. It would only be a drain and small return, low flow sump. I think my MP10 can take care of my flow needs.

any other advice on over flows on a small tank? speak now!

well check out my Bonsai aquascaping a 9 gallon nano thread. I haven't quit gotten as far as the overflow but close. At the end of that thread is my extreme Durso mod. I am going to use a rounded corner overflow cut from 6" PVC.

what do yal think for a shallow rimless cube type AIO, black silicon or clear? it will be barebottom, with the bottom spray painted black. im thinking clear for that seamless look...

great job frat. what I like best is the deep blue actinic you are getting, wish mine were that blue. the motion in this tank will keep things well oxygenated I'll keep tabs on this thread!

See you at Mr. Aquarium on 34th bud

:)

B

haha nice to see a lubbock guy here! I know david lurks reefcentral some too

maybe mr. aq will finally get more sps in some day...

This should be awesome. I get my mp10 in the mail hopefully in a few days. Wondering if I should put it in the contest tank now... :lol:

desided on a tank size, display will be around 4 gal with 1 gal of AIO filter space and a HOB filter for GFO/carbon too.

excited!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I missed ur comment. Honestly im 50/50 on it..its completely melted alot of my SPS (my fault for having it to close, 10") and It makes everything very hard to photograph with. I dont really trust it like I would a MH to grow corals...but we will see!

Yes I made the fixture, all from Homedepot for like $25. right now its 14" from the top of the tank and I have a screen over the top of the tank so my corals can adjust.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW Chris at picoaquariums.com did amazing work and he is a real gentleman to do business with. Couldnt have made it more perfect.. A+++ company

picoNEW6.jpg

Archived