SaltCritters.com

Reefcleaners.org Dry Rock

WI Reefer

I got 30 LBS of Dry rock from John at reefcleaners for $67 shipped to my door. Really was a steal!!!!

I got about 8 good size pieces (small football size) and 2 smaller ones About enough to completely fill my 10 gal to the rim.

So ill have plenty left when I upgrade to a 40b :D

The customer service from John was second to none! He's a pleasure to work with.

My order shipped the next day and arrived 3 or 4 days later I dont remember. Wish I would have been home...... I had to run to the post office to get it. When I recived the box it looked like it was through off a bridge and landed on I-94 and got hit by a semi...

the was no packaging but It did not matter at all the was very little breakage.

ALL IN ALL I plan to order from him with the next tank I setup. I also plan to get my CUC from him!

Ok pics

post-48120-1259472773_thumb.jpg

post-48120-1259472803_thumb.jpg

post-48120-1259472827_thumb.jpg

Ill post some aqua scape Pics when I get the rocks in the tank (Monday)

Would you say it is porous or dense relative to quality Fiji LR?

compared to the 10 lbs of live rock i just picked up

the dry rock is much more porous and less dense each rock has billions of little holes for bacteria and the rock is very light weight

I was debating between this and dry fiji and I am glad I went this way the rock also looks much better I believe B)

The dry rock I got from John was delivered 10 months ago. One piece of advice - rinse, rinse, rinse. I just arranged my aquascape on the bare glass and added live rock to seed it before adding sand around the structure, and there was a lot of dust and sediment in all of those cracks and crevices. Even before rinsing, you might use a can of air or an air compressor and then blast it off really good with a power head in a bucket of water for a day or two.

Also when you order your cuc, email John for advice as to what is needed for your size tank and then scale it back 10%, he is very generous and snails breed.

Good luck.

Brian

yeah there will be some dust on it. It isn't dust from like cat dander or something, the rocks are in big holding containers and a lot of the rocks on the top when they hit each other create a powder that gets stuck in those nooks. I try to shake it out, but the dust just gets caught into another nook, so we just recommend rinsing them to get to all the stuff. Glad you guys liked the rock. :)

Fosi - this isnt the same florida rock that used to look like bricks. i know which ones you are talking about, but this supplier is good. Apparently after I met up with him he has expanded a bit and his rocks might be the new standard out of florida. Not as light as good fiji or tonga coral skeleton rock though. I know the stuff you are talking about, it used to be much easier to come across a few years ago. Some of that stuff is ridiculously light.

Dustin C Mills
When I recived the box it looked like it was through off a bridge and landed on I-94 and got hit by a semi...

LOL, thrown off a bridge and hit by a semi. That's funny.

This forum is awesome. I'm talking to the seller now trying to get some dry rock for my JBJ to play around with a little.

I love the funny/good reviews here...it's awesome.

+1

Great review... My box arrived the same way! Very little breakage though, and what little bit did break off was/is used to mount frags!!! B)

I would use this rock every time! Good stuff from an even better person!

:)

Great review... My box arrived the same way! Very little breakage though, and what little bit did break off was/is used to mount frags!!! B)

:D I never thought about that And i was Just about to by coral plugs

• 1 month later...

1.jpg

loving the rocks john! :)

thanks.. i ordered 13lbs and have like almost half left over...

the pic is of a 10g.. really porous rock.

Edit: also, my box was shipped all the way across the country and it seemed like it was in perfect condition.

its the absolute same as the key largo from marco and the reef saver from bulk reef. i would soak it before tossing it in an established system, i got a pretty wicked green bloom from it.

its dig from old prehistoric reefs that are now underground. mined in Florida. you can get it pretty cheap from some excavators in Florida if your willing to buy 3-5 tons at a time.

all in all its pretty good, not anywhere near the porisity of the spagetti or fiji rock i got from marcos in the past but its great for the price. ( i paid 2.19lb and got 5lbs free for a 50 lb order from brs)

how did our rock work out for you mrbigshot? got a link where I can get it in bulk like that? I thought it had to be dug by hand because of chipping, would be nice to get it on the cheap. Hook me up with the excavators you are talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

that would be awesome, if it comes up let me know...hate to find out I was getting middle manned.

edit -

oh $1.69 is more than we sell it for unfortunately...shipping is where most of our price comes in ...oh well. If you come across the guy they get it from let me know. :) I appreciate the lookup. It looks a little different, my guy wasnt in this business when that site got started, but it looks like nice rock.

did our rock work out for you?

its sitting on a tarp in the garage. i used it for a little while but took down the big tank. i was having phospate issues once i added it to the tank and it created a holy hell fight with dinoflaggetes. not sure if it was the rock. i stoped feeding the fish and change source water and nothing helped so i took down the tank. next time i set the big tank up ill try some gfo and see what happens.

sounds like a bad experience. pm your name and I will work something out for you on that order.

dont worry about it, you one of the best assests to the reefing community.

Archived