Coral Vue Hydros

NANOYED'S new 70 gal frag tank/breeder project - EXPANDING

NANOYED

Alright time to upgrade from my overstuffed 10gal frag tank. The tank has been great, but I just have no room. This will be my first attempt at a tank using a sump. I'm sure I will have some obstacles to overcome with the new setup, but breeding is going to be the biggest. Why breeding you ask, well that all Erik's fault! I became good friends with Christosclowns (Erik) and got the contagious clownfish breeding disease. I figured I will start small and go from there. Erik is the type of guy that will give you the shirt off his back and tell you to come help him rip out his growout tubs and take them with you. I have (3) 40gal tubs just sitting in my garage in case I get lucky with a breeding pair and can keep their spawn alive. I will be updating this thread as often as I can, I have purchased everything for this setup and my other little project (150gal) with the sales of my frags. Please feel free to give your input good or bad!

My plans are:

Acrylic 50 gal frag tank (72"x15.5"x10") divided into 3 sections

Acrylic 20gal. display run above (72x8x8).

75 gal capacity sump

2000 GPH submersible pump

3 scwd wave makers into each section

Protein Skimmer 300gal capacity

1/4 HP Chiller w/ 480gph pump

(2) 250watt metal halides (may go to 3)

Dosing 2 part manually for now, but plan on getting a doser eventually.

I plan on using the outer two sections for corals and the middle for a pair of picassos and lowlight corals hopefully.

I built the stand for the tanks today.

newfragtankstand.jpg

Grand plan if all goes well!

newfragtank.jpg

plumbing_1.jpg

plumbing_2.jpg

The other little project, I'll create another thread when I get around to this one. It's just sheetrocked right now and I don't have the columns up yet or crown molding. Work in (very slow) progress!

150galtank.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I am now subscribed to this thread and looking forward to your other project thread. Looks like somthing I would want to try (although my wife wouldn't let me) lol. Can't wait to see this thing in action!

::prays that you don't EVER spring a leak or want a bigger TV:: very nice :)

I glued a sheet of acrylic on the sheetrock above the tv. If anything ever leaked that should hopefully protect the tv. I'm happy with my 50" it's plenty big for me, If I want bigger I'll set up a media room.

I just installed all the bulkheads and started some of the plumbing

DSC06904.jpg

DSC06905.jpg

DSC06907.jpg

DSC06909.jpg

I also purchased one of these, still trying to track down another!

250wcoralifependant.jpg

its me british accent

Sounded more Australian to me... then again I'm a Texan with a somewhat northern accent lol.

the mos timpressive part of this whole build is how you paid for it. ongratulations man, it looks great, and im following.

Agreed! I hope the sell some frags in the future but if they just even out the cost of supplies I would be lucky lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome setup. How's the media center tank coming along?

Slowly, still somewhat in the design process as far as the plumbing goes. It'll be a while before it starts moving again. I wanna finish up the frag tank first, then put all my energy into that project.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived