Cultivated Reef

JBJ 28 QuadCF Build - Now Upgrading to LEDs!

pprice01

Hello All,

Just getting back into SW aquariums after a long absence and am enjoying them just as much as before. I decided to go with a JBJ with the power compact lighting to avoid the cost of a chiller and just would like some help from those who have been there as I go through this process. Any feedback and/or tips are appreciated.

I intend to make this a reef setup and was curious if anyone had information that might be useful on the following topics:

1. How many fish would be considered a maximum? I plan to have clownfish as my primary fish, maybe a goby or some other smaller species too...

2. What is the recommended order in which I introduce the fish, CC, and other corals (what I can have - I understand that I should stay away from the stonies due to the power compact lighting)

3. Installing a refugium with Cheato into the rear chamber of the JBJ with a Nano-glow LED light from JBJ for that purpose. Anyone try this? Options, thoughts?

Right now the tank is on day 22, all levels are good and stable - thinking of letting it go another week before adding anything else, just to be sure.

40 pounds of Live Sand - Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite

~25 pounds of Live Rock - cured from the LFS

JBJ Protein Skimmer

2 Damsels - they cannibalized the 3rd (a domino damsel)

Extra powerhead -Hydor Koralia 1

Here are some low-quality pictures that I just took. I imagine that they would look better if I cleaned the aquarium glass better and took them at night - but I would appreicate any helpful camera settings to use other than the "aquarium" setting by default.

Thank you very much.

Side-View I should note that I added CaribSea PurpleUp this morning and the tank is noticeably cloudier than before I added it - the package says that it is normal so hopefully it will clear up by the end of the day.

And the other side - note the dirty tank walls. :)

post-47976-1256244182_thumb.jpg

post-47976-1256244701_thumb.jpg

post-47976-1256244775_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll let others comment on the fish, but I dig that scape, and ditch the purple up for a 2-part solution, it's junk.

Thanks for the comment on the scape - sucks that it has to come down when I have to net the damsels, but oh well, I'll be able to make a new one.

Thanks also for the head-up on the PupleUp - any suggestions for a 2-part? Also - is it even worth finishing the bottle out or should I actaully junk it?

junk it.

bulk reef supply 2 part starter kit.

scape looks good.

Thanks for the quick responses all - I will junk the PurpleUp.

No need for the starter kits they cost more than buying it all seprate.

Thank you.

Has anyone put Cheato in the OEM filter chamber in the JBJ 28G with the Nano-Glo LED light?

Hello All,

Just getting back into SW aquariums after a long absence and am enjoying them just as much as before. I decided to go with a JBJ with the power compact lighting to avoid the cost of a chiller and just would like some help from those who have been there as I go through this process. Any feedback and/or tips are appreciated.

I intend to make this a reef setup and was curious if anyone had information that might be useful on the following topics:

1. How many fish would be considered a maximum? I plan to have clownfish as my primary fish, maybe a goby or some other smaller species too...

2. What is the recommended order in which I introduce the fish, CC, and other corals (what I can have - I understand that I should stay away from the stonies due to the power compact lighting)

3. Installing a refugium with Cheato into the rear chamber of the JBJ with a Nano-glow LED light from JBJ for that purpose. Anyone try this? Options, thoughts?

Right now the tank is on day 22, all levels are good and stable - thinking of letting it go another week before adding anything else, just to be sure.

40 pounds of Live Sand - Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite

~25 pounds of Live Rock - cured from the LFS

JBJ Protein Skimmer

2 Damsels - they cannibalized the 3rd (a domino damsel)

Extra powerhead -Hydor Koralia 1

Here are some low-quality pictures that I just took. I imagine that they would look better if I cleaned the aquarium glass better and took them at night - but I would appreicate any helpful camera settings to use other than the "aquarium" setting by default.

Thank you very much.

Side-View I should note that I added CaribSea PurpleUp this morning and the tank is noticeably cloudier than before I added it - the package says that it is normal so hopefully it will clear up by the end of the day.

And the other side - note the dirty tank walls. :)

Here's another picture after the water cleared up a bit.

post-47976-1256315064_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

Has anyone put Cheato in the OEM filter chamber in the JBJ 28G with the Nano-Glo LED light?

I have a 28HQI and am looking into this the Cheato also. I keep three fish and many different corals. Get rid of the JBJ Protein Skimmer it is a piece of s&^t. If you are using the center camber for the fuge you are going to need a hang on filter. Also ditch the PurpleUp if you have corline allready just keep the calc at good levels and it will take care of itself.

I use cheato in my middle chamber of my 24 nanocube. I also use the led glo in the rear. I just cut the black vinyl off, set it on a timer and it works great.

I have a 28HQI and am looking into this the Cheato also. I keep three fish and many different corals. Get rid of the JBJ Protein Skimmer it is a piece of s&^t. If you are using the center camber for the fuge you are going to need a hang on filter. Also ditch the PurpleUp if you have corline allready just keep the calc at good levels and it will take care of itself.

Thanks for the info. Based on the feefback I guess the purchase of the PupleUp was a total waste of money :) - oh well, it was cheap.

What is the draw-back from using the center compartment, under the filter sponge (which I plan to replace with floss) for the cheato? I understand that a small powerhead for extra flow may be required, but he mfg indicates that location for a fuge. I'm guessing some chemi-pure elite in the bottom too.

I am trying to avoid adding a hang-on anything right now, so I am looking for ways to utilize the existing space to its maximum.

I use cheato in my middle chamber of my 24 nanocube. I also use the led glo in the rear. I just cut the black vinyl off, set it on a timer and it works great.

That sounds like exactly what I am thinking of doing. the 28 doesn't have the black vinyl either, so that should make it easier. Did you keep the sponge on top to catch the particles, or change to floss? Are you running a skimmer?

thanks.

Thanks for the info. Based on the feefback I guess the purchase of the PupleUp was a total waste of money :) - oh well, it was cheap.

What is the draw-back from using the center compartment, under the filter sponge (which I plan to replace with floss) for the cheato? I understand that a small powerhead for extra flow may be required, but he mfg indicates that location for a fuge. I'm guessing some chemi-pure elite in the bottom too.

I am trying to avoid adding a hang-on anything right now, so I am looking for ways to utilize the existing space to its maximum.

There is no drawback to using the center compartment, but IMO i would worry more about the skimmer then the fuge.

There is no drawback to using the center compartment, but IMO i would worry more about the skimmer then the fuge.

Can you tell me what the problem is with the skimmer? I've heard people saying that it is junk, but all I see is that it provides me with about 1/2" in nasty brown water each day that I can dump easily and move on. I also see people extolling the virtues of the Remora skimmer - what is the reasoning for one over the other - am i doing harm to my tank with the JBJ skimmer?

thank you.

No skimmer yet. I run carbon filter pads in the first chamber, live rock at the bottom of 1 and 2, and cheato in the middle chamber, heater in the 3rd. I also took pet screen and wrapped it around a piece of eggcrate to stop the cheato from clogging the pump.

I would say that 6 fish is a heavy bioload, I wouldn't exceed 5. it also depends on the size of the fish, you could have 2 clownfish, another clownfish sized fish and 2 small gobies and be okay.

I have a maroon clown, purple firefish, pj cardinal, and arch eye hawk in my 24g. I have a 3g refugium so it adds up to about the same as your tank.

I have a maroon clown, purple firefish, pj cardinal, and arch eye hawk in my 24g. I have a 3g refugium so it adds up to about the same as your tank.

Hope you have another tank to put that maroon into when he/ she gets older. They will get big and real aggressive especially if they have a nem.

Can you tell me what the problem is with the skimmer? I've heard people saying that it is junk, but all I see is that it provides me with about 1/2" in nasty brown water each day that I can dump easily and move on. I also see people extolling the virtues of the Remora skimmer - what is the reasoning for one over the other - am i doing harm to my tank with the JBJ skimmer?

thank you.

Anyone out there???

Anyone out there???

There are a lot of reasons why the stock skimmer is not ideal(bubble size, bubble quantity, contact time, air driven, etc.). Once you start stocking the tank with fish, that skimmer will probably not keep up. But many people run tanks without protein skimming, you just have to keep on top of the parameters and water changes. I have the same tank as you and use the Remora. I have 5 fish(was 6, just removed a damsel that was nipping at my SPS!) and I skim pretty wet. There is no way the stock skimmer would keep up with my bioload. It is a little loud, but a very good skimmer. No modding to open the hood and the pump goes in the skimmer compartment.

There are a lot of reasons why the stock skimmer is not ideal(bubble size, bubble quantity, contact time, air driven, etc.). Once you start stocking the tank with fish, that skimmer will probably not keep up. But many people run tanks without protein skimming, you just have to keep on top of the parameters and water changes. I have the same tank as you and use the Remora. I have 5 fish(was 6, just removed a damsel that was nipping at my SPS!) and I skim pretty wet. There is no way the stock skimmer would keep up with my bioload. It is a little loud, but a very good skimmer. No modding to open the hood and the pump goes in the skimmer compartment.

Thanks Kgoode25,

I will have to upgrade the skimmer then, I guess - my fault for not doing the research prior to buying and wanting something to fit into the back tank with 0 mods required. The remora hangs on the back, right? Have you put any cheato in the back middle chamber or anywhere in the back chamber for that matter?

Thanks Kgoode25,

I will have to upgrade the skimmer then, I guess - my fault for not doing the research prior to buying and wanting something to fit into the back tank with 0 mods required. The remora hangs on the back, right? Have you put any cheato in the back middle chamber or anywhere in the back chamber for that matter?

I just spotted my first hitchhiker!

It looks to me like it is a feather duster - does anyone have a recommendation on what to feed it?

thanks.

Thanks Kgoode25,

Yeah, in this hobby research is never-ending. The remora does hang on the back(HOB). I got the one with the MJ1200 pump and I did cut the input end(about an 1/8-1/4 inch) with a dremel to make it a little easier to fit in the protein skimmer compartment.

As for the media compartment, I ended up making a rack(http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Nano-Cube-24-Media-Basket-NC24MR.htm, not sure if this would work or not if you don't want to manufacture something) out of eggcrate b/c I did not like the way the stock rack let water flow past it. I made it with a large middle chamber for media or macro, but I don't put anything in there just using filter floss on the very top. I am actually running carbon passively in the heater compartment b/c it is easier to get to.

I am not running cheato b/c I am carbon dosing(using zeostart2), but you definitely could do so in the middle compartment. The best thing to use would be an underwater light(http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-5W-Single-Light-5WLight.htm) b/c the remora is going to be behind the middle compartment.

HTH

I just spotted my first hitchhiker!

It looks to me like it is a feather duster - does anyone have a recommendation on what to feed it?

thanks.

Keep the water parameters up and water changes and it will do fine. No need to add anything to feed a feather duster. Once you start getting some livestock in the tank, these guys will probably start spreading around the tank.

Yeah, in this hobby research is never-ending. The remora does hang on the back(HOB). I got the one with the MJ1200 pump and I did cut the input end(about an 1/8-1/4 inch) with a dremel to make it a little easier to fit in the protein skimmer compartment.

As for the media compartment, I ended up making a rack(http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Nano-Cube-24-Media-Basket-NC24MR.htm, not sure if this would work or not if you don't want to manufacture something) out of eggcrate b/c I did not like the way the stock rack let water flow past it. I made it with a large middle chamber for media or macro, but I don't put anything in there just using filter floss on the very top. I am actually running carbon passively in the heater compartment b/c it is easier to get to.

I am not running cheato b/c I am carbon dosing(using zeostart2), but you definitely could do so in the middle compartment. The best thing to use would be an underwater light(http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-5W-Single-Light-5WLight.htm) b/c the remora is going to be behind the middle compartment.

HTH

Keep the water parameters up and water changes and it will do fine. No need to add anything to feed a feather duster. Once you start getting some livestock in the tank, these guys will probably start spreading around the tank.

Thanks for the great information! I will look into the links and keep my eyes open for a deal on the remora.

Thanks for the great information! I will look into the links and keep my eyes open for a deal on the remora.

I am contemplating stocking the tank with both a B&W Ocellaris Clown as well as an Amphiprion ocellaris (standard percula clown/Nemo) - does anyone know of any potential problems with mixing these breeds?

Thank you.

hows it going with the tank? i have same tank and love it

been setup up for over a year and going strong.

I have alot of fish but upgraded the skimmer and do weekly water changes.

I have 2 clowns, YWG, Six line wrasse, Tailspot and a blue spot jawfish

All live happy together

best luck with tank

Archived