Coral Vue Hydros

Harthags 12" of fun

harthag12

Here's my official tank thread for the contest that I'll update w/ picts & tank specs.

Equipment ordered:

Tank: 12" x 12" x 9" (3" back area partitioned off for AIO, fuge) Erickm tank

Light: 70w Bimini by Hamilton w/ 20k Aqualine bulb

Heater: 150w Stealth heater in display

Maxijet 606 adjustable pump return

Koralia Nano

No ATO currently: Possibly Hospital dosing pump

Current stocking list:

2 head pink torch ($5/head x2 = $10)

2 head green torch ($5/head x2 = $10)

Orange Fungia ($30)

Tiny bluish Ricordia ($10)

Reddish Acan ($5/head x8 = $40)

Blue Chalice ($5)

Zombie Chalice ($5)

Total spent: $110

Full Tank Shot 1/11/10

006-11.jpg

Full Tank Shot 12/28/09

008-10.jpg

Full Tank Shot 12/14/09

019-3.jpg

Full Tank Shot 11/30/09

003-10.jpg

Full Tank Shot 11/16/09

010-5.jpg

Full Tank Shot 11/02/09

288.jpg

Full Tank Shot 10/19/09

003-6.jpg

Full Tank shot 10/6/09 Happy B'day me

002-6.jpg

Here's my official tank thread for the contest that I'll update w/ picts & tank specs.

My plan currently is rock from marco rock or sealifeinc.net; live stock an Anemone shrimp, Pederson w/ a Lime Green Warty Corallimorph for it to host in. Zoa's, possibly green star polyps, shrooms. Maybe a small fish, haven't quite figured that out yet. I love the Angler idea but have no place to put him once he's larger.

Placing order for equipment this weekend, it will look something like this.

Tank: 12" x 12" x 9" (3" back area partitioned off for AIO, fuge) Erickm tank

Skimmer: Aquatic Life Protein Skimmer

Light: either 150w Aqua Medic pendant w/ 14k Phoenix bulb or 70w MH

Heater: probably Hydor, Stealth if I can fit it

Maxijet 900 utility pump

Extra's: magfloat, bulkhead, locline, thermometers, etc

Not to exciting so far but wanted to get the post up so my name could be highlighted, I'll post pictures as soon as possible :)

-Ian

Sounds like a good game plan...

Not to exciting so far but wanted to get the post up so my name could be highlighted, I'll post pictures as soon as possible :)

-Ian

lol, that's why I started mine too!!!

Sounds great, i'd go 70w MH 150w would be beyond overkill.

I agree though I see Simple is going 150w, I just happen to have the 150w Aquamedic pendant w/ a 14k Phoenix bulb laying around, for the 70w I have a good ballast & a 1 dollar 70w bulb I bought from Ebay (we'll see) so I could spend 10$ on a home depot halogen light and be good to go I just worry about the quality of a 1 dollar bulb & 10$ halogen light. I don't want to be cheap but my wife reminded me her b'day is in 2 weeks so my play money is a bit tied up for atleast 2 weeks. We'll see, maybe Erickm will build slowly.

Nosser your post is why I started mine, figure get something on the link to show people I was still alive

& remembered about the contest.

I agree though I see Simple is going 150w, I just happen to have the 150w Aquamedic pendant w/ a 14k Phoenix bulb laying around, for the 70w I have a good ballast & a 1 dollar 70w bulb I bought from Ebay (we'll see) so I could spend 10$ on a home depot halogen light and be good to go I just worry about the quality of a 1 dollar bulb & 10$ halogen light. I don't want to be cheap but my wife reminded me her b'day is in 2 weeks so my play money is a bit tied up for atleast 2 weeks. We'll see, maybe Erickm will build slowly.

Yeah I have a 150w Viper but i'm thinking its too much for my situation. Simple is running a 150w but it looks like it will be predominately sps. What's your stocking plans? I was thinking of a 70w as well but my wife's and my daughter's birthdays are in the middle of september so... let's just say we'll see how it goes.

Nosser your post is why I started mine, figure get something on the link to show people I was still alive

& remembered about the contest.

Hahahaha awesome...

Alright, quick update. Finally placed my order today for equipment.

AquaticLife Skimmer: $38.39

Loc-line & bulkhead pieces: $24.84

70w 20k Aqualine MH bulb: $89.99 (ouch)

Hydor Theo Heater 100w: $23.99

Bimini HQI 70w tank reflector & hanging kit (Hamilton Tech): $119.90

Plus some random stuff for other tank, Revive, thermometers, etc

I have a 70w ballast, I have a Maxi-Jet 1200 to use for return, a hospital dosing pump for an ATO unit.

I plan to order a nimble nano off here as well & basically I'm good to go equipment wise.

Now I sit back & get excited for the 2 boxes to arrive. Woot.

Ok an update. My order came in today from Marine Depot & my light from Hamilton Tech. First the good / fun, kind of like a kid at X-mas

002-2.jpg

Next the bad. Recieved my light from Hamilton, box says 150w but w/ a sticker on it that says 70w. Open it to find that the hanging kit i ordered wasn't in it, also wasn't priced on invoice, k maybe coming seperatley. Hopefully 70w light. Next I found that one of the clamps screws is already broken in the package. The construction of the light seems kind of cheap / fragile. The 2 metal pieces and glass slide out really easily and the metal covering doesn't protect the electrical in the light very well. I've never wired a ballast to light, etc. I'm a bit confused. What kind of outlet plug is this on my light, I thought it would go power cord to ballast to light, why does the light have this funky plug? Should I cut the end and wire it into the ballast and than attach a wire from the ballast to the wall?

Whole thing

003-3.jpg

metal covering w/ inside electrical

005-2.jpg

funky plug

006-2.jpg

broken screw

007-2.jpg

ok maybe i'm dumb about this wire on the light, it does say it has a 3 prong quick disconnect which I guess is that wire. Are there ballasts that are setup for that, or how am I going to wire this into the ballast that you can kind of see in the first pict. I really don't want to get another ballast for this if I can avoid it.

If the ballast is 70W, then the rating of the bulb is all that matters. You should be able to read on the actual bulb what the wattage is, and if it's rated at 70 watts you're in the clear. And as for the wire, you can cut that funky plug off the end, and there will be three wires inside the black cord. There's probably a white, black, and green for ground. Splice the wires and then hook them up to the ballast accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

that plug goes right into the ballast. they probably shipped it separately. i know when we ordered a hamilton fixture at my store for a customer the ballasts were shipped separate from the fixture as were the bulbs.

I didn't order a ballast from them unfortunatly. I had ordered a ballast off someone on here a few months earlier that I'm hoping to use with it & it doesn't have a quick connect. I did contact them about the missing hanging kit and they got it to me roughly 2 days later which was nice, the screw they forgot to send. The clamp looks pretty crappy though so glad I got the hanging kit.

Maybe tomorrow, I decided to not hack the cord apart on the bimini light & ordered the ballast to go with it, hoping it gets here tomorrow (ordered Tuesday). Plan to also build the stand & poles to hang light from this wknd. Go beer, football & powertools.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so updates. Water, sand, rock in tank.Some picts have sand still on the glass, need to figure out what to use to clean the glass, also the sand is very fine, need it to thicken up a bit, but all in due time, here's some picts. Some picts are w/ flash on, some w/ out, lighting is 70w 20k MH.

013-1.jpg

014.jpg

002-5.jpg

These last two are top down shots, neat looking I think

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to update, I have a tank w/ water in it. I removed the aiptasia rock. I'm slowly removing it from the walls of the tank and the sand. Even if said rock was in the tank it would be cycling, I didn't start w/ pre-cured stuff. I may add some stuff today since I flooded my basement for the 4th time last night and am giving up on my main tanks, breaking them down, giving away the corals to a fellow reefer. I'll be transfering some rock over to this tank from my old one, I'll possibly be moving over some corals. Than I'll be working on drying the basement some more. Tonights my b'day and biggest loser night w/ the wife. If I get the opportunity and am not to bummed about breaking down my tanks I'll post a pict.

Sorry about the tanks :(

and Happy Birthday!! that's just not right.

You have to update every other Monday with a new FTS to stay in he contest :huh:

Meh, thought it was a you have to update every other week thing, either way updates have been difficult since my computers graphics card is still dead & am forced to use the wifes. I'd still think a PM saying hey update or something might be good? I don't think I'd even be aware of needing an update except I read everyones tank updates daily since i"m on here all day. The official thread had no reminder in it, even if it had it would of been lost in the 75 pages of stuff. Yeah I was aware it was due because I'm diligent on reading but I'm sure not everyone reads this forum as much as I do and I still believed it was a "hey it's due this week" thing.

Your still in :D just deduct $10 from your build.

I remade the contest thread for that reason, all the rules and prices are on pg 1 including any new updates.

Archived