Cultivated Reef

Jaygalindo's 12" Contest Cube

jaygalindo

My cube has been ordered so let the games begin.

BORN 09/21/2009

post-46173-1256002548_thumb.jpg

SETUP

Tank: $75

Stand: JBJ Nano Cube 28 stand $40

Lighting: JBJ Viper 70w MH Fixture with Ushio 20k DE bulb/ Coralife Moonlight $35

Heater: 50w Titanium heater from the ROAK thread. FREE

Pump: Maxijet 900 $19

powerhead: koralia nano $24

Protein Skimmer: Aquatic Life 115 $48

JBJ ATO : $70

Thermometer: Coralife Digital $8

1/2" Bulkhead with Locline Y return. $30

mag float cleaner $13

LIVESTOCK

Yellow Clown Goby $8 Removed

CORAL

ZOA"S

Armor of God(6 polyps) $30

Blueberry Zoas (10 polyps) $10

Orange Skirt Zoas (15 polyps) $4.50

Radioactive Dragon Eyes(5 Polyps) $5

Eagle Eyes(1Polyp) $1

PALYS"

Green Palys (3 Polyps) $3

Gunmetal Palys(6 polyps )$6

Yellow Polyps(10 polyps) $10

SPS

Candy Apple Green Montipora 1" $5

Pink Birdsnest 1.5" $10

Purple Montipora 1: $5

Pom Pom Xenia $10 Removed

Mushroom Rock Actinodiscus $15

GSP X2 $10

Candy Cane Coral 7 heads $21

Aussie Duncan Coral 3 heads $15

CUC:

10 Dwarf Ceriths

10 Zig zag periwinkles

1 Florida Cerith

1Nerite Snail

1 Blue Leg Hermit

Total: $6.69

Red Mangroves X 2 $6

LIVESTOCK BALANCE: $89.79

My focus will be on aquascaping rather than mods and DIY's. This is due to the fact that I am not the best DIYer out there. I am excited to get started and can't wait to see what the other guys have in store.

Thanks

Jay

Current Tank Shot

DSC03508.jpg

FTS 09-30-09

DSC03296.jpg

FTS 10-05-09

DSC03337.jpg

FTS 10-19-09

DSC03402.jpg

FTS 11-02-09

DSC03427.jpg

FTS 11-16-09

DSC03508.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LoL this contest has inspired me to go a different direction with my 90 gal. I am not going to take it down completely, I am going to move it into my fish room and convert it into a frag tank. I am going after a custom cube tank that will be sitting on a stand that will be a bar. Right now the clownfish are in the 90 and are doing great and for they moment hosting the frag rack. I may change my mind and go with a goby/shrimp pair. I am more of a fish/vert fan over coral, how many fish will fit in this tank? This will be my first nano and space has never been an issue in the past. Thanks

So here is a couple of "pichers" of my perc clown fish pair and a really cool piece of LR that I will be taking from my 90 Gal.

post-46173-1249660648_thumb.jpg

The cool rock...

post-46173-1249660812_thumb.jpg

i think that "rock" is barnacles. ;)

Still cool though.

In the cube tank, what ever it is will make a great hiding area for whatever I put in the tank.

So I just put an order in for the cube. I am going to run a JBJ auto top off, 2 maxi jet 900's. Still can't decide what to do for lighting. May do the fishneedit.com 70w fixture or may DIY my own so that I can add LEDS to the fixture. Also saw a good review on the Aquatic Life Mini Skimmer 115 and would like to run that on my 90 to break it in because the review said it to a week to start producing the " nasty froth.

So I just put an order in for the cube. I am going to run a JBJ auto top off, 2 maxi jet 900's. Still can't decide what to do for lighting. May do the fishneedit.com 70w fixture or may DIY my own so that I can add LEDS to the fixture. Also saw a good review on the Aquatic Life Mini Skimmer 115 and would like to run that on my 90 to break it in because the review said it to a week to start producing the " nasty froth.

I'm planning to use the Aquatic Life Mini skimmer and I am running it on my 10g now. The first day or so had a large amount of micro bubbles and now there's almost no bubbles and it only been a couple days. The width of the skimmer is 3" and the back of the tank is 3" but I talked to Erick and he is making the tanks 3.25" to accommodate this.

Do you already have the maxi jets? If not Drfostersmith website has Koralia Nano for $20 right now usually $27 or so..

i probably will get one in addition to the maxi 900 return

Cool, thought i'd throw it in there since Drfosters was having the awesome sale on them :) I picked up two, couldn't pass it up.

Cool, thought i'd throw it in there since Drfosters was having the awesome sale on them :) I picked up two, couldn't pass it up.

thanks for the heads up

Picked up my JBJ Viper 70w MH fixture tonight. Got an unbelievable deal on it, in fact such a good deal I can't list the price because it will hurt me in the future if I decide to sell it on this site. The fixture is in mint condition but I will order a 20k bulb because I like a blueish look to my tanks. Here's a picher of it on my 5 gal QT.

post-46173-1250132346_thumb.jpg

Put in my order today with marine depot. So I should be getting everything I need to be up and running aside from a heater. Probably will rob my QT. Here is what ill get on Wednesday!

70 Watt 20000K+ Metal Halide Bulb - Ushio, Double Ended 1 $49.99

Hydor Koralia Nano (Mini) Pump/Powerhead 240gph 1 $23.99

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 1 $59.99

Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead / MP 900 1 $18.99

Coralife Aqualight 1W Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Light (470Nm) (Univ. And Track Mount Incl.) 1 $34.99

also since i am worried about growth with the 20k bulb, I will and have frags in a frag tank with a Ushio 14k bulb for a faster growth rate while the 12 incher is cycling. Hopefully cycling won't take too long since I will be transferring LR fro my 90 gal that is already cured.

With such a shallow tank Par should still be pretty insane even with 20k bulb imo. Considering you are doing an overkill light I would think it should be totally fine and 20K is supa pretty.

yup, I am still on the fence about actually using the skimmer but it was a good deal. I thought about natural filtration and using mangroves shoots. dont know yet though

With such a shallow tank Par should still be pretty insane even with 20k bulb imo. Considering you are doing an overkill light I would think it should be totally fine and 20K is supa pretty.

thanks for the info, ill just have to tinker and see which bulb will give me the look I am going for.

Archived