Cultivated Reef

Java's AIO Contest tank

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Current FTS for 11/30/2009

taken on 11/30/09

post-30762-1260845007_thumb.jpg

**T-Shirt FTS is Post #31

I've decided that I want to try and be as cost effective as possible. I'm not a big DIY person so I will be looking for ways to achieve the look I want(still not completly sure what that is yet) without breaking the bank. Here is a list of what I've got so far, simple but hopefully effective.

1. Contest Tank (of course) CHECK

2. 18" Current USA Nova Extreme HO, might end up getting a second one(I had an older model but the new one comes with adjustable legs) CHECK

3.MJ900 for return(possibly going to use a rotating deflector I have laying around) CHECK / Ditched it for a Rio200

4. Hydor Koralia Nano now aka "The Polly Pump" CHECK

5. Hydor Theo 50w heater CHECK

6. 7lbs LR and 5lbs #1 fine grade calcite substrate (all cycling) CHECK

7. DIY gravity fed auto top off (VOSS waterbottle and rigid tubing) CHECK

8. AquaticLife Mini Skimmer 115 (being broken in with LR/Sand for tank) CHECK / Ditched

I think I want to focus on softies/zoas, depending on final lighting I might look at adding mini carpets (I have a local store that almost always has them in stock)

Here's the current list

1.Yuma(doing a trade with NR member, still waiting for it, should have it by next week) $10.00 (confirmed with maria) / Detached while in my Larger tank :( hopefully it'll show up somewhere

2. Red People Eaters (They've been ready to frag for a while just needed a reason to do it) $3.00 per polyp

3. Purple/Red Shrooms (LFS gave me 3 unattached for free!) $6.00 per shroom

4. SharkNose Goby $15.00 x 2

CUC = 10.00

Red People Eater x 4 = 12.00

Purple Shroom x 2 = 12.00

SharkNose Goby x 2 = 30.00

Nuc Greens x 3 = 15.00

Purple Deaths x 4 = 20.00

Orange Monti Cap 1" = 5.00

Idaho Grape Monti 1" = 5.00

AOG's x4 = 20.00

Poker Paly's x 8 = 40.00

Total 169.00

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simplenough

I see we have some of the same ideas. I'm working on a diy gravity fed auto top off as well.

As for the livestock, shipping/box doesnt count as the cost; you only count the value of the livestock. If it is free/ traded/ from another one of your systems, then you make a reasonable estimate as to what it is worth, based on current values.

JavaJacketOC
I see we have some of the same ideas. I'm working on a diy gravity fed auto top off as well.

As for the livestock, shipping/box doesnt count as the cost; you only count the value of the livestock. If it is free/ traded/ from another one of your systems, then you make a reasonable estimate as to what it is worth, based on current values.

VOSS bottles seem to be perfect. Wide mouth design and Cylindrical shape should work well for sitting on egg crate in the return chamber. I was able to get the air inlet and water release tube side by side in the bottle's mouth. I used the plastic bottle but might want to switch to the glass bottle It's not a large ATO but will work for the cooler months. I'll post some pics later.

VOSS bottles seem to be perfect. Wide mouth design and Cylindrical shape should work well for sitting on egg crate in the return chamber. I was able to get the air inlet and water release tube side by side in the bottle's mouth. I used the plastic bottle but might want to switch to the glass bottle It's not a large ATO but will work for the cooler months. I'll post some pics later.

Sound good. Good luck

I was going to ask about what people were going to use for ATO.

JavaJacketOC

Here are the home made ATO pics. Really simple, should work fine. I used a 1/4" for the release tube and a 3/8 for the Air inlet.

post-30762-1249442997_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1249443016_thumb.jpg

scooternerd

i love those 2 words "cost affective" i use thm all the time aka i am broke! lol

nice work on that ato btw

JavaJacketOC
i love those 2 words "cost affective" i use thm all the time aka i am broke! lol

nice work on that ato btw

Thanks...I'm not broke but it's easy to go broke when it comes to setting up a new tank. I got the new Current Nova Extreme 18wx2 today. It's about 1.5 inches wider than the original one so I'm not sure if I'll get able to get 2 over the tank. I might end up crapping the whole idea and order the Hamilton 70w MH that's100.00. I'm not a fan on MH due to heat but it may just be much better...still haven't decided on how far I want to go with livestock so not sure if the MH will be necessary at all.

scooternerd
Thanks...I'm not broke but it's easy to go broke when it comes to setting up a new tank. I got the new Current Nova Extreme 18wx2 today. It's about 1.5 inches wider than the original one so I'm not sure if I'll get able to get 2 over the tank. I might end up crapping the whole idea and order the Hamilton 70w MH that's100.00. I'm not a fan on MH due to heat but it may just be much better...still haven't decided on how far I want to go with livestock so not sure if the MH will be necessary at all.

why not just buy a 70 watt retro and out it in the t5 fixture?

JavaJacketOC

Well, I actually got the t5 fixture today. Not sure if I like it...the Legs on the this new model of the 18" t5 x 2 are really cheap...4 individual legs that need to be screwed into the fixture once you decided what thier distance will be. Legs have to be forced into the groove as well...I almost broke one when trying to get it put together last night. Might have the reconsider the 70w MH

Well, I actually got the t5 fixture today. Not sure if I like it...the Legs on the this new model of the 18" t5 x 2 are really cheap...4 individual legs that need to be screwed into the fixture once you decided what thier distance will be. Legs have to be forced into the groove as well...I almost broke one when trying to get it put together last night. Might have the reconsider the 70w MH

I hear ya. I love current's fixtures but i hate the legs they have on them. My sundial has the exact same flimsy legs that have to be screwed into the groove, and it's pretty lame. Feels like i'm putting a skyscraper on popsickle sticks.

iluvfishies01

will you be topping off your tank w/ actual voss water? damn that stuff is expensive, subscribed to your thread. Eager to see the progress, good luck!

JavaJacketOC
will you be topping off your tank w/ actual voss water? damn that stuff is expensive, subscribed to your thread. Eager to see the progress, good luck!

That's a negative ghost rider :P

JavaJacketOC

Thinking about adding a skimmer depending on livestock...I came across Aquaticlife nano skimmer . After talking to Eric I'm pretty sure it will fit in the fuge area one way or another since it only has a 3x3 footprint. I've read a couple threads that said it's actually very effective and well built for being so small and inexpensive. HMMM decisions decisions...

Thinking about adding a skimmer depending on livestock...I came across Aquaticlife nano skimmer . After talking to Eric I'm pretty sure it will fit in the fuge area one way or another since it only has a 3x3 footprint. I've read a couple threads that said it's actually very effective and well built for being so small and inexpensive. HMMM decisions decisions...

Nice topoff :D I'm trying to figure out something similar.

JavaJacketOC

Got the heater and Hydor Koralia nano today. My cousin saw the pump and started laughing because it was so small...I don't think she realized how small the tank was until I showed her another tank about the same size, it all kinda of dawned on her at that point. She has however renamed the nano pump to "The Polly Pump". I got a laugh out of it.

Since updates aren't too fun without pictures...I HAZ PICHURE

post-30762-1250038366_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

I HAZ GUD H2o! Gonna do a water change to get the nitrates down. Took about 3 weeks to cycle in a bucket.

post-30762-1250638357_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of unattached shrooms I got for free from my LFS. Not sure how many I'm going to put in the contest tank. Suggestions on fair market price?

post-30762-1250638449_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1250638432_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC
I think $6 a piece is fine, since mushrooms are usually pretty cheap (at least in miami they are).

Yeah, I found a rock with similar looking(just diffrent color) that had about 8 shrooms for 25.00 (3.13 per head)at another lfs...I think the ones I got are prettier so I'm good with the 6.00.

On a side note. Simple, I think Im ninjaing your fish idea(didn't mean to tho)...I came across "Sharknose Gobies" (E. evelynae) and when finding a LFS who could order them from ORA I decided to go with them. They look like a Neon Goby just diffrent coloration and head shape I believe. ORA had tank raised juveniles avaliable. So, I'll be picking up a few of them on Friday. I'm gonna have to put them in the bucket until the tank arrives. fingerscrossed

JavaJacketOC

So I hadn't actually looked at the 18" Nova Extreme in detail. I figured it was basically what I had(the original version) with legs. Come to find out they replaced the parabolic reflector with individual reflectors or pretty close to it. I have the 20" NEP 6 x 18 which is bent to create individual reflectors (It's really not bad at all) but the reflectors on 18" are better and seem to be made well and considering the price only increased about $5.00 from when it originally hit the market. Seems like a pretty good option/deal for smaller tanks that don't want MH. Of course the bulb selection still sucks and the legs are cheap but other than that it seems pretty well made.

Anyway, this was all brought on because I decided to set up a temporary tank since I'm picking some fish for the contest tank today and decided I didn't want to put them in the bucket. I totally rigged a 15g tall with the LS, LR, Skimmer, Koralia Nano, MJ900(with hydor deflector) and the Aquatic life skimmer. I tried to arrange the rockwork in what should be the display size of the AIO but I think I'm gonna need more LR :mellow: I'll get some pictures tonight once the fish have settled in.

Here's the makeshift tank

post-30762-1250901361_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

***GOBIES IN THE HAUSE***

So I went to pick up my trio of Sharknose Gobies and of course he had ordered several other types....I just couldn't resist picking up two yellow-lined gobies as well. These are ORA tank raised, all look very healthy. They're a little sketchy right now of course but I'm sure they'll acclimate fine. Not sure what I'm gonna do with 5 total though. I guess I can always throw a couple into my 30 cube. Sorry for the crappy shots but they're very observant and didn't wanna hold still for me.

E. evelynae X 3 (what I originally ordered)

post-30762-1250901568_thumb.jpg

Elacatinus figaro (randalli) X 2 (the impulse buy)

post-30762-1250901607_thumb.jpg

Those gobies and shrooms are dope. I have a really similar setup to yours. I'm also using that 18" T5HO fixture, and the Theo heater, MJ900 from Bob, and probably a Knano. Except for the skimmer, and my plans for livestock are a little different. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Need a price for a small pink/green yuma, about the size of a dime. I got it in a trade with another NRer. I saw that other people got some yumas in trades and were guestimating about 10.00. Verdict Maria?

Archived