Cultivated Reef

Hayseed's Unofficial 12" Not-A-Cube Contest Tank

hayseed777

post-42303-1259647988_thumb.jpg Updated shot for S&Gs. Just got my internet up and running again. Good luck to whoever is left.

I got my order from Lucid Corals on October 28th. Everything arrived in good health and I even got a couple very nice freebies. My "centerpiece" (and only) fish arrived with the shipment, it's a very nice Antennarius Maculatus (wartskin/clown angler). He's about 2/3", mottled yellow and white with orange trim and has a healthy appetite, he's since been named Jelly Belly or JB for short. All of the corals I received from Lucid are spectacular, but the other stand out of the order is a green-rimmed, hot pink yuma. Zach was generous with the zoa frags, almost too generous for the contest. My freebies included a pink montipora nodosa frag and a "Big Red" acan lord frag. Zach did a great job of sourcing the perfect fish and corals for me, I really can't say enough.

I'm participating in this contest more for the experience than anything else. The idea of winning did cross my mind, but any glimmer of hope has since been dashed. After viewing some fellow participants' past and current tanks I have no doubt I'll be in the back of the pack on this one. That is not to say that I won't be doing my absolute best to give 'em some competition. This will be my first reef tank, so any experienced people feel free to tell me if I'm doing something stupid and/or counterproductive.

That's all for now. Good luck to everyone.

Livestock:

1 Antennarius Maculatus/Clown Angler-"Jelly Belly"@ $70.00

1 Orange Ricordea Yuma @ $10.00

1 Chocolate and Gold Teardrop T. Maxima@ $30.00

2 heads of "Big Red" acan lord@ $5.00 = $10.00

20 black and white Zoas @ .30 per polyp = $6.00

20 Kedd's Redds Zoas @ $1.00 per polyp = $20.00

6 Bambita Zoas @ $1.00 per polyp = $6.00

4 green zoas @ .30 per polyp = $1.20

3 heads of Dendro @ $15.00 ea = 45.00

1 1" montipora nodosa @ $5.00

1 1" Ultra Magma Chalice @ $5.00 per eye = $10.00

1 Orange Mushroom @ $5.00

6 Hawaiian Hermits @ .75 = $3.00

3 Nassarius Snails @ .75ea = $2.25

3 Margarita Snails @ $1.00ea = $3.00

1 Beat up Bastage of a Brittle Star, "Gimpy" @ $6.00

1 Stalk of Pom-Pom Xenia @ $5.00

3 Heads of Orange Frogspawn @ $5.00 each= $15

1 Ball of Chaeto @ $2.00

$254.45 of $270.00 livestock budget spent... :bling: Damn, that went quick! I might be conducting my first zoa fragging session soon. :scarry:

th_DSC00671.jpg

th_DSC00693.jpg

th_DSC00718.jpg

th_DSC00817-1.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simplenough

Welcome to the contest. You seem to have a good plan so far. For a centerpiece fish why not a pearly jawfish? I've never kept one before but they seem to be pretty fun to watch..

I guess it's time to get this thread going. I'm participating in this contest more for the experience than anything else. The idea of winning did cross my mind, but any glimmer of hope has since been dashed. After viewing some fellow participants' past and current tanks I have no doubt I'll be in the back of the pack on this one. That is not to say that I won't be doing my absolute best to give 'em some competition. This will be my first reef tank, so any experienced people feel free to tell me if I'm doing something stupid and/or counterproductive.

So far I've ordered the tank from Erikrm, purchased a Taam Rio Aqua Plus 800 pump, all the Locline (1/2" connector, 1/2" reducer Y to [2] 1/4", 1/4" line and [2] 1" flare nozzles), all the other plumbing parts and some filter media.

I'll be purchasing an Eco-Lamp KR-91S in the near future.

I'm looking at some Bali Alor liverock, it seems to be interesting stuff. I think it would work well with the Arag-Alive Indo black sand I plan on using.

Stocking plans...well, I've got a couple different plans in my head. They both involve a "centerpiece" fish. I'm still weighing my options. Either way I hope to have 3-4 different kinds of zoas, a yuma or two (if I can find any that won't bust the budget) and maybe a couple acan/chalice frags. Inverts will depend upon compatibility with which fish I choose to go with.

That's all for now. Good luck to everyone.

Which eco-Lamp did you get KR91-S is the start of them all and the S is for silver.

They don't ship from Hong Kong for 7 to 10 days from the date of purchase. Unless you found one in the US.

Start with small frags and watch them grow. That way it will also keep the cost down.

Good Luck

Sounds like you have a good plan and are well ahead of my tank so far. I looked up that rock you mentioned & that looks like nice stuff, were you getting it from www.aquacon.com? If I can't get some nice marco rock from my local reefclub I may end up w/ the same type as you.

-Ian

I'm getting the 12" KR-91S 30watt. Simple, not sure about the pearly jawfish...I'll have to research it. Bob, you're one of the guys that shattered any hope I may have had about winning. Thanks for the tips and I hope to have some tanks half as kick azz as yours someday. Harthag12, yes, I was planning on getting the rock from aquacon.com. If you purchase from them be sure to get the nano rock, you get 4lbs more for $10 less than the "regular" Bali Alor. Plus it's closer to the size we'll need anyhow. Thanks for tagging along, Spanko.

I'm getting the 12" KR-91S 30watt. Simple, not sure about the pearly jawfish...I'll have to research it. Bob, you're one of the guys that shattered any hope I may have had about winning. Thanks for the tips and I hope to have some tanks half as kick azz as yours someday. Harthag12, yes, I was planning on getting the rock from aquacon.com. If you purchase from them be sure to get the nano rock, you get 4lbs more for $10 less than the "regular" Bali Alor. Plus it's closer to the size we'll need anyhow. Thanks for tagging along, Spanko.

Don't worry about me I just take decent pictures.

That rock looks sweat.

Welcome to the contest. You seem to have a good plan so far. For a centerpiece fish why not a pearly jawfish? I've never kept one before but they seem to be pretty fun to watch..

I would not recommend. Most jawfish need deep sandbeds, about 3-4 inches. It would be a real pain to have such a deep sand bed in a 12" cube. It would definitely take away from the aquarium. I would try out a goby/pistol shrimp pair or a trio of masked gobies (this would be pushing it)

Good luck!

got2envy, Thanks for tagging along, it's always good to see a past contest winner (congrats, by the way) in my thread. I love your AP 24, you've really got me considering going with all black sand now...damn it all.

DBT, Thanks for the heads up, I don't think a 4" sand bed and 4" water column would be too popular.

Simple, Why the hell are you trying to sabotage my efforts?!? J/P The pearly is an interesting and beautiful fish, but not an ideal candidate for this tank. I considered the goby/pistol pair as soon as I heard about the contest as this would be a perfect tank, I just fear a lot of people will be doing that. I may not be the best, but damn if I won't be different... I'm digging the DIY direction you're going on your tank (props), I wish I had the time and know how to do more DIY stuff. I get the feeling you and the other DIY guys will garner more votes from the experienced people here.

Good luck all.

I'm still torn on my stocking plans, so I'll just lay them out...

Plan A: Flaming Prawn Goby, 3 Sexy Shrimp, Pom-Pom Crab and CUC...I could get all for under $100 total (seriously, I called the place to make sure they didn't forget a 1 in the FPG price). Zoas, Ricordea, Acan/Chalice and a Long Tentacle Plate.

Pros: Diversity. I'd have some livestock on hand for upgrading (probably right after contest end). The GF would be happy beause all the pretty colors and "cute" shrimp.

Cons: There's no Angler in this plan. Gotta drop $200 on the Eco-Lamp.

Plan B: Clown/Wartskin Angler 1-1.5in. I'd go with all black sand and attempt a bonzai-type rockscape. All corals would be non-photosynthetic (except some red or orange zoas on top of the rocks if $ is still available), couple heads of Dendro, variety of Sun Corals and a Chili Coral. A moody/evil angler nursery with corals popping out of the blackness would be awesome...wouldn't it?

Pros: I think clown anglers are the cutest little bastages ever. I've got a 12 gallon I could put him in when he gets too big. I wouldn't have to get the Eco-Lamp KR-91S.

Cons: Maintaining a tank this size with non-photo corals and an angler would probably be crazy. Would he outgrow the comp tank before the end? The GF wouldn't understand as her idea of cute is limited to pink/purple/furry things (not the Sieryoku kind of furry though).

Comments, advice, ideas?...let me have it.

I'm still torn on my stocking plans, so I'll just lay them out...

Plan A: Flaming Prawn Goby, 3 Sexy Shrimp, Pom-Pom Crab and CUC...I could get all for under $100 total (seriously, I called the place to make sure they didn't forget a 1 in the FPG price). Zoas, Ricordea, Acan/Chalice and a Long Tentacle Plate.

Pros: Diversity. I'd have some livestock on hand for upgrading (probably right after contest end). The GF would be happy beause all the pretty colors and "cute" shrimp.

Cons: There's no Angler in this plan. Gotta drop $200 on the Eco-Lamp.

Plan B: Clown/Wartskin Angler 1-1.5in. I'd go with all black sand and attempt a bonzai-type rockscape. All corals would be non-photosynthetic (except some red or orange zoas on top of the rocks if $ is still available), couple heads of Dendro, variety of Sun Corals and a Chili Coral. A moody/evil angler nursery with corals popping out of the blackness would be awesome...wouldn't it?

Pros: I think clown anglers are the cutest little bastages ever. I've got a 12 gallon I could put him in when he gets too big. I wouldn't have to get the Eco-Lamp KR-91S.

Cons: Maintaining a tank this size with non-photo corals and an angler would probably be crazy. Would he outgrow the comp tank before the end? The GF wouldn't understand as her idea of cute is limited to pink/purple/furry things (not the Sieryoku kind of furry though).

Comments, advice, ideas?...let me have it.

I think you should go with plan B.

That way you can tell me where you were going to get the FPG. I've been looking for one far a few days. :D

That’s funny I was looking for a FPG too! :P They are really tiny but so amazing.

For that price I would jump on it! I can’t find one for even close to that price.

I’m going absolutely crazy trying to pick my livestock....

- Good Luck

That’s funny I was looking for a FPG too! :P They are really tiny but so amazing.

For that price I would jump on it! I can’t find one for even close to that price.

I’m going absolutely crazy trying to pick my livestock....

- Good Luck

Did you find them aval at any price?

Ya a few places have them online but none that will guarantee arrive live!

My LFS had one but I believe they wanted around $150.00 & he was only about 1/2 inch in size.....

got2envy, Thanks for tagging along, it's always good to see a past contest winner (congrats, by the way) in my thread. I love your AP 24, you've really got me considering going with all black sand now...damn it all.

Thanks! If you go black sand make sure you get the Nature's Ocean black beach sand...got it at Petco for $30 for a 20lb. bag...so far I have had no issues with it scratching my glass in either tank :)

Dooo eeeet! with the clown angler B)

thanks, got2envy. I'm going to do Plan B, I just worry about filtration/maintenance. I already gave up my source for $40 FPGs, so I'm sure they'll be out. I've seen the Nature's Ocean sand at Petco, it always looks a bit brown in the bag. Does it appear darker in the tank IRL? Now to source a clown angler that's really a clown angler....

simplenough

sweet, yea Plan B is definitely better. If you don't mind ordering online, Live Aquaria gets some really nice ones in sometimes.

Yeah, I'm hoping to find one that's WYSIWYG (and decently priced) as Anglers are hard to identify in the juvi stage sometimes.

thanks, got2envy. I'm going to do Plan B, I just worry about filtration/maintenance. I already gave up my source for $40 FPGs, so I'm sure they'll be out. I've seen the Nature's Ocean sand at Petco, it always looks a bit brown in the bag. Does it appear darker in the tank IRL? Now to source a clown angler that's really a clown angler....

I talked to chris today. He doesn't have any in stock but should be getting them in a few weeks.

Archived