SaltCritters.com

The Crazy nCube!

lukem

g'day - g'day,

Last Saturday, I picked up a brand new JBJ Nano Cube 28G HQI aquarium!

Not my cheapest purchase, but I've taken a lot of interest in these tanks after reading a few of the posts on the web. Besides my wife is expecting in a few weeks, it was a good excuse as any... to setup a new marine tank (to compliment my 100G tank). Even if it is for the baby's room :-)

What I really love about these tanks is firstly the compact approach and curved glass! As well as neat features that are included! What I don't look would certainly be the 1000$ cost.... to import the aquariums to Australia!

Whilst there are a number of similar type aquariums on the market, I don't quite consider the quality as some of the others to be as good as the JBJ - although the Boyu isn't a bad runner up.

I've added 2 inches of live sand, 35 pounds of very good quality LR. In addition I used Tropic Marin Reef Salt for my initial mix (1.023), eheim jager 100W heater, 5 sacrificial chromis, 2 turbo snails, hermit crab and the cycling has begun!

Today is day 3 post-setup, temperature is fluctuating between 78 and 80 (I can live with!) but no doubt come summer I'm going to need to invest in a chiller. Nitrate/Amm is reading NIL and Nitrates measure 0.2ppm, with PH 8.2 .. Adding Seachem Clarity on a daily basis to accelerate the cycle process.

I've also ordered a 3000lph PH for increased circulation.

A few comments.. thus far > maybe anyone who already is running a similar setup can add some tips/advice etc...

- The fans in the hood are bloody noisy!

That's pretty much my post for tonight, I hope to keep a regular update on my tank and other ramblings hope you enjoy reading as much as I do witting about the crazy nCube!

Tomorrow I will upload some pics to illustrate my nCube.

Luke

-

I do live in the Southern Hemisphere ;-)

I already have a well established reef aquarium, 100 gallon in size.

I just love the challenge! hahahaha

My post might eventually be more tears then laughter :-)

you set a tank up with a newborn on the way? That's like the backwards of what I'd do but then again, it might just be me

it's just you.

Damn dude, 1000 dollars for JBJ may as well grab a cadlights, they're much nicer and less fussy. Still, i'm very excited for this tank, are you using water and rock from your 100g?

thanks for the welcome -)

LR is of excellent quality from a LFS, well cured and abundance of life (I actually took all of his display tank stuff). The LR was "out of water" for less then an hour, it was then left for 24 hours in the sump of my 100G. Before being transferred into the Nano.

I mixed up Tropic Marin Reef Salt to 1.023, using tap water. (Secheam Prime to de-chlorify and conditon it's quality), I would love to use RO - but time is of the essence, given my 100G runs on tap water I'm not too fussed...

Will get some pics tonight - it's just gone 8:30am here and I need to get back to my day job...

Okay! phew... long day to say the least!

Today my new 3000lph (800gph) circulation pump arrived. Welcome to the land of Oz, it's a Hydor Koralia's K2 Copy ... hey don't laugh it has a Titanium shaft and will suffice!

As promised here are a few pics of my cube!

Nano Cube Flickr

Looks nice. I started my NC 12 after my twins were born. I count when there was livestock and not just water. Now that they are 5 the NC12 is "their" aquarium and they are very much into it now. Yes, there were many times I wanted to do something to the aquarium and had to pass but it was never totally neglected. I did make sure that there was carbon always around because there were endless things dusted, sprayed or wiped around the tank but never a problem. They have a great appreciation of wildlife and of the hobby itself and love science. Definitely one of those things to do. Good luck and congratulations.

day 6, still dosing the tank with Clarity... slight variation with water levels - PH 8.2, Amm Nil, Nitrite Nil and Nitrate 0.2 ppm. Salinity 1.022 and temp is 80/28c.

Starting to see hair algae on the glass! that's about as exciting as it gets right now! Meanwhile LR is still lively and a noticed a bristle worm last night, the 5 sacrificial chromis look amazingly healthy ... for now :-)

Wow, amazed at the rapid evaporation from the 150 watt halide!

On another note, the bloody hinges on the cabinet door are crap - spent an hour repair them last night as the door kept falling off! anyone else got complaints with the cabinet on the jbj cubes?

TGIF (Thank God It's Friday)

Luke

"clarity" and other additives to "speed the cycle" are not necessary.

Interesting comment and I welcome the feedback...

btw, correction I'm using Stability :-) forever confusing the two products.

Over the past 10 years, I've had a number of saltwater tanks. That said, some I have used products - similar to Secheam Stability for most of my tanks. In that experience, I've been able to enhance (if you like, rather than accelerate) the cycle process with successful results that have sustained ongoing tanks for many years.

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss!

However for me I find the results are positive.

Day 8 - Amm is now registering (0.2 ppm), Nitrate is consistant (0.2 ppm), Nitrite is NIL, Salinity 1.024 at 80/28c....

Should be an interesting few days now!

Tank is looking great, I kicked in the skimmer at day 6 and it's taken a few days but now it's actually starting to skim out a dirty looking brown tea :-)

Hope you all had a nice weekend!

lakshwadeep
Interesting comment and I welcome the feedback...

btw, correction I'm using Stability :-) forever confusing the two products.

Same difference, to me.

Over the past 10 years, I've had a number of saltwater tanks. That said, some I have used products - similar to Secheam Stability for most of my tanks. In that experience, I've been able to enhance (if you like, rather than accelerate) the cycle process with successful results that have sustained ongoing tanks for many years.

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss!

However for me I find the results are positive.

I just think that you're putting too much credit on an additive when the live rock should get most, if not all, of the praise for its bacterial cultures which are the most suited to tropical reef tanks. Since you stated the rock was not uncured, it makes stability even more marginalized. I know it's not harmful, but it does seem like Stability and similar products are purchased as much for a placebo effect than any great demand.

If your rock is high quality with many hitchhikers, then I suggest doing a soft cycle (i.e. using water changes) so you don't kill off things that wouldn't survive the normal spikes.

http://ozreef.org/content/view/40/28/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

Same difference, to me.

I just think that you're putting too much credit on an additive when the live rock should get most, if not all, of the praise for its bacterial cultures which are the most suited to tropical reef tanks. Since you stated the rock was not uncured, it makes stability even more marginalized. I know it's not harmful, but it does seem like Stability and similar products are purchased as much for a placebo effect than any great demand.

If your rock is high quality with many hitchhikers, then I suggest doing a soft cycle (i.e. using water changes) so you don't kill off things that wouldn't survive the normal spikes.

http://ozreef.org/content/view/40/28/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

Dude! you're over analyzing.... it was a comment, nothing more - nothing less!!

I've bookmarked those URL's btw.... thx.

day 9, amm (down from 0.02ppm) NIL - nitrite NIL - nitrate NIL (down from 0.02ppm)

could of the tank already cycled with a very slight peak in ammonia, well only time will tell....

will measure things again in 3 days!

Day:14

Amm - NIL

Nitrite - NIL

Nitrate - NIL

78-80 degree's w/out a chiller at the moment -)

50% water change was done!

Will post some updated pics tomorrow as well as shots of my two new Maroon Clowns that I took from LFS!

Day 15 - Picked up an Hailea Chiller today for a bargain price!

LFS, had a 1/10HP on sale for 460 aussie bucks! cheap as chips.

Also bought an ehiem compact 1000lph (300gph) pump and squeezed it into the 3rd chamber! by no means was this an easy feat ... the space in those chambers is limiting - whilst i was in there i removed the mechanical media (filter pad) from the side wall.

Once I got the return back to normal (hahah) connecting the chiller was a piece of piss! dropped the temp from 29 to 26 in no-time!

So I've now adjusted the heater to kick in a 25 and the chiller to chill down to 26 ... 25-27 fluctuation of two degree's...

the wife picked up a few new corals at the same time, a lovely little bubble and very small brain coral!!!!

So came home tonight to find the tank, covered in brown algae, diatom blooms everywhere!!! amazing how quick this brown crud appears in just 8 hours....

The temperature is now set to 26, the chiller cools down from 27 to 26 and the heater climbs from 24 to 25.

77-80F -)

I'm thinking about adjusting the chiller to be within .5 of a degree © ... will see if that thought actually becomes action ....

btw, baby is now due on Wednesday 12/8 - wife is going in for a C-section... very exciting times ...

It is amazing how fast that stuff appears. Mine was gone within a day or two. Its my ciano and GHA that are taking forever to go away lol. Congrats on the baby on the way.

Archived