Coral Vue Hydros

DUAL BIOTOPE DESIGN

Muggz

I've been trying to design a dual biotope tank (reef/mangrove) for some time, and have been floating ideas and questions out on the NR forum for a while. I wanted to come up with something that would be easy to maintain and would not require obscene amounts of equipment beyond lights and pumps.

The goals of my design are:

1) a tank that's viewable from all four sides with all plumbing/wiring not visible

2) provide a filtration system that is as natural as possible

3) minimize aquarium equipment as much as possible

I've tried to address these goals by:

1) not incorporating a protein skimmer - experiment with mangrove trees as a nutrient export system

2) not use a sump - dual biotope design allows the "sump" area to be as much a display component as the "reef" section

3) use only one "main" inline pump for filtration, with a pre-filter sponge to polish the water

4) additional flow requirements can be achieved using closed loops and additional inline pumps - heating can be done on a closed loop with inline heater.

The image below will probably make it easier to understand the design (it's not to scale or anything, just the basic concept). My questions are: does anyone foresee any issues with this setup? Will microbubbles be an issue, how can this be addressed?

DualBiotope.jpg

Dual_Biotope.bmp

I've been trying to design a dual biotope tank (reef/mangrove) for some time, and have been floating ideas and questions out on the NR forum for a while. I wanted to come up with something that would be easy to maintain and would not require obscene amounts of equipment beyond lights and pumps.

The goals of my design are:

1) a tank that's viewable from all four sides with all plumbing/wiring not visible

2) provide a filtration system that is as natural as possible

3) minimize aquarium equipment as much as possible

I've tried to address these goals by:

1) not incorporating a protein skimmer - experiment with mangrove trees as a nutrient export system

2) not use a sump - dual biotope design allows the "sump" area to be as much a display component as the "reef" section

3) use only one "main" inline pump for filtration, with a pre-filter sponge to polish the water

4) additional flow requirements can be achieved using closed loops and additional inline pumps - heating can be done on a closed loop with inline heater.

The image below will probably make it easier to understand the design (it's not to scale or anything, just the basic concept). My questions are: does anyone foresee any issues with this setup? Will microbubbles be an issue, how can this be addressed?

DualBiotope.jpg

well looks good but imo you should make the return section a little bigger. that filter spong will most likly pick up bigger debris but filter floss really cleans the water. so with a larger square you can add some chemipure/carbon and filter floss. that way that takes care of debris, keeps water looking clear and takes out some organics.

well looks good but imo you should make the return section a little bigger. that filter spong will most likly pick up bigger debris but filter floss really cleans the water. so with a larger square you can add some chemipure/carbon and filter floss. that way that takes care of debris, keeps water looking clear and takes out some organics.

Good point. Maybe a second baffle in the return box with filter floss in between? ... on eggcrate or something.

I would probably use something like this as a pre-filter since it would be somewhat reusable, and allow some bacterial growth:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=14687

I think filterfloss beforehand would definitely be necessary.

This is similar to my current project as well, except that I am using 2 separate tanks plumbed together.

IMG_3938.jpg

The lower tank is the Reef Display tank, and it is up and running now, and I just added 2 Mangroves to the small in-tank sump behind the false wall on the right last night.

The higher tank is intended to be a Display Refugium that will be plumbed into the Reef Display, and it will have Mangroves in it, as well as other Macroalgaes.

I may or may not use the Skimmer pictured in the Refugium tank.

I am planning on having an LPS and Softie dominated Reef, and like you, I like the idea of just natural filtration.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

This is similar to my current project as well, except that I am using 2 separate tanks plumbed together.

IMG_3938.jpg

The lower tank is the Reef Display tank, and it is up and running now, and I just added 2 Mangroves to the small in-tank sump behind the false wall on the right last night.

The higher tank is intended to be a Display Refugium that will be plumbed into the Reef Display, and it will have Mangroves in it, as well as other Macroalgaes.

I may or may not use the Skimmer pictured in the Refugium tank.

I am planning on having an LPS and Softie dominated Reef, and like you, I like the idea of just natural filtration.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Looks good Weetabix, I'm glad to see you're trying to use natural filtration methods. I would be interested to hear what your results are between mangroves and skimmers... From my research on mangroves as a filtration method, one of the downsides is the amount of time it takes for them to become established. However, once they are, they are supposedly capable of better nutrient export than skimmers. Do you plan on keeping a log of your parameters?

Use a shorter pipe in the middle. The vertical one that leads to the inlet side of your CL pump. You don't want that pipe to have the possibility of being exposed to air. If the water level drops (evaporation), that pipe will become exposed and you will suck air into the pump. Can you say microbubbles? Idealy, the inlet pipe would be really short with lots of slits cut into it so that it never gets clogged. Put a sponge on it if you want. Make sure it is cleaned often. If it looks dirty, it is already past time to clean it. :)

I would use more than mangroves. The mangrove grows so slowly, that they don't take up much in the way of nutrients. You should try some chaeto or other macroalgae.

Also, consider reversing your reef/refugium. Part of the benefit of a refugium is to provide extra food for the reef. If the 'pods need to go through a CL pump, they won't be too happy. If the chambers are reversed, then you have the refugium part first, then the reef, there will be some overflow, and 'pods will gently slide into the reef area. You could split the return from the CL and have a gate/ball valve for the refugium section so that most of the water (say 80%) goes to the reef area, and the rest (20%) goes to the refugium area. It will allow you to have higher flow on the reef and still have the 'fuge spill into the reef area.

Very cool idea BTW

dsoz

I honestly hadn't thought about keeping a log.

I do have one advantage with the Mangroves, the ones that I have already have roots and leaves.

I got them from a friend in S. Florida who had been growing them in a tub in his backyard.

I have 10 of them, and only one of them looks like just a plain propagule, although it has a little leaf bud starting.

Here's a pic of them:

IMG_3942.jpg

Here's the two I just added to my sump last night, they are floating in styro:

IMG_3971.jpg

When you say "established", are you talking about the plants getting used to and settling into the system, or are you talking about them developing roots and leaves?

I'd be interested in where you found your research, esp. if you have any links.

Are you planning on planting yours in sand, or are you planning on floating them via something like stryo?

I've heard pluses and minuses for both methods.

Are there any inline pumps that are designed for intermittent use? i.e., won't wear out if it's used on a timer?

I'm thinking of something based on dsoz' comments.

I honestly hadn't thought about keeping a log.

I do have one advantage with the Mangroves, the ones that I have already have roots and leaves.

I got them from a friend in S. Florida who had been growing them in a tub in his backyard.

I have 10 of them, and only one of them looks like just a plain propagule, although it has a little leaf bud starting.

When you say "established", are you talking about the plants getting used to and settling into the system, or are you talking about them developing roots and leaves?

I'd be interested in where you found your research, esp. if you have any links.

Are you planning on planting yours in sand, or are you planning on floating them via something like stryo?

I've heard pluses and minuses for both methods.

Weetabix, by 'established' I mean after they've developed a proper root system and leaves...

http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/genera...tration-method/ - not too good an article

http://www.mangrovemania.com/mangrove_aquarium.html - this one is a pretty good source for setup

http://www.toptropicals.com/html/aqua/plan...angrove_eng.htm - this one's pretty detailed

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/feature.htm

http://www.aims.gov.au/source/publications...oves-of-qld.pdf - .pdf file: not very useful in an aquarium specific way, but provides interesting information regarding different mangrove species and their relative environments

I would plan on planting mine in sand/mud (not sure which), but start them off by floating them... I think it would be interesting to try and develop a raised roots system on at least a couple of the mangrove trees. I've also heard you can tie the roots to a liverock, and they will eventually attach and grow over the rock, might be cool looking - but I can't remember what website suggested that...

I was actually putting a lot of thought in to doing something similar down the road. I saw a tank that was built in tiers that inspired me. It had the Mangroves in a raised box in the center of a tank, which water flowed out of in water falls. The water then flowed from that tank in to another tank below it, and I think there was another below that. If you saw it, you'll know what I'm talking about, but I don't have links.

To get to the point, I think that would be a cool way of going about it. That would make both the refugium and the reef viewable from all sides. I'll try to sketch up a diagram to show you what I'm thinking.

Since that is just a thought, I have to say that your set up looks really cool as well. Truely innovative.

I was actually putting a lot of thought in to doing something similar down the road. I saw a tank that was built in tiers that inspired me. It had the Mangroves in a raised box in the center of a tank, which water flowed out of in water falls. The water then flowed from that tank in to another tank below it, and I think there was another below that. If you saw it, you'll know what I'm talking about, but I don't have links.

To get to the point, I think that would be a cool way of going about it. That would make both the refugium and the reef viewable from all sides. I'll try to sketch up a diagram to show you what I'm thinking.

Since that is just a thought, I have to say that your set up looks really cool as well. Truely innovative.

Thanks Psychosis, I had sketched up something exactly what you're talking about too... I was thinking a design similar to that as well. I sketched it up on a piece of paper though, if I can find it I'll try and scan it and put it up here.

Dsoz, here is an idea that might address your suggestion, but will allow the two sides to be pumped independently... thereby allowing a 'tidal' effect between the two. The two sides could also be run at the same time, essentiallly evening out the water level and making the two sides independent of each other for a predermined amount of time, or flow from one to the other if only one pump is running.

DualBiotopev2.jpg

I made the sketch quickly, so didn't put any labels, but you get the idea...

Psychosis, your idea would also allow someone to have any number of biotopes... you could design it in such a way that it flows from a reef shelf, to reef flat, to lagoon to mangrove swamp... that'd be very interesting!

The best part is that it's a very straightforward system. The way I was thinking of doing it, you simply run two standpipes from the base tank with two return pumps and the water cycles through the whole system again. It winds up looking kind of like a mayan pyramid for coral.

Any way, that's just a thought, and it looks like your set up would be much easier to actually construct.

Thanks for those links, I found the toptropicals one particularly interesting, esp. in regards to the studies and charts on their consumption of nitrates and phosphates.

Very interesting!

The thing I don't like about planting them in sand is that when the roots grow too much and need trimming, you have to disturb the sand to do it, and I see a lot of potential there for releasing some bad stuff into the water when the sand is disturbed.

I like the idea of attaching the roots to live rock, I may just try that, particularly since I had planned on having my Display Refugium barebottom.

I don't have any particular suggestions for your tank just yet, but I really like the ideas you're coming up with, it's inspiring some creative thinking in me re. my own Display Refugium.

So thanks!

The best part is that it's a very straightforward system. The way I was thinking of doing it, you simply run two standpipes from the base tank with two return pumps and the water cycles through the whole system again. It winds up looking kind of like a mayan pyramid for coral.

Any way, that's just a thought, and it looks like your set up would be much easier to actually construct.

... but yours, way cooler. It would basically allow you to have 3-4 aquariums running off the same system with minimal space requirements. But, yes, would probably cost 4x as much. :P

Haha. True, but you're technically buying 4 aquariums. So. I was thinking of doing a system like that which would total about 46 gallons if I've done my calculations correctly. But thats a down the road kind of thing.

Sometime this summer I want to put my 75g and my 55 tank back to back. The 55 is a little shorter and a perfect height for the bulkhead that I put into the overflow. Then the water would come out one side of the 75g, into the 55g, then through the 55g refugium section, and pumped back to the 75g display. There would be almost no head pressure, so my return pump would just rock with flow.

Right now I just have a rubbermaid tote on the floor that acts like a sump for the 75g. The 55 is just sitting there curing DIY concrete rock. I just gotta get off my lazy but and do it.

dsoz

Haha. True, but you're technically buying 4 aquariums. So. I was thinking of doing a system like that which would total about 46 gallons if I've done my calculations correctly. But thats a down the road kind of thing.

Psychosis, I was at Pet Smart this weekend, and they have an aquarium for displaying freshwater plants that seems like it would be a less expensive version of putting 4 cube aquariums together and flowing down... it's one aquarium with angled sides that flows down in steps. I think it's a standard aquarium they have in all their stores. I was thinking of asking who supplies it for them.

It didn't look like a very complicated DIY either.

If u really want a natural biotope the mangrove tank should be a bit larger than the reef tank because in the wild reefs are sorounded by grassy areas that are up to 180 times greater then the reef itself. i like the idea. :)

If u really want a natural biotope the mangrove tank should be a bit larger than the reef tank because in the wild reefs are sorounded by grassy areas that are up to 180 times greater then the reef itself. i like the idea. :)

Weeber, that's probably a good idea. Even from a logical filtration point of view, it would probably provide cleaner water for the reef section.

Are there any inline pumps that are designed for intermittent use? i.e., won't wear out if it's used on a timer?

I'm thinking of something based on dsoz' comments.

Not really, at least not ideally for what you're envisioning. You could just use a single pump and valve it so that you can direct the flow to either the refugium or the tank. Manually open one valve, close another...you could automate it with certain very expensive toys, but that'd probably be overkill.

How about just make the tank divider slightly porous in concealed areas to let pods and such through on their own? In your second updated diagram, the refugium doesn't necessarily need to be lower than the reef. Make the whole tank one level, but divided, and the overflow will still work fine, although it will become your "sump" and the water level will change there in response to evaporation.

All in all an ambitious project...I like the ideas and hope it works out well.

Has anyone seen an aquarium designed to change biotopes from front to back? Ie. no baffles or levels, just one long aquarium that might have a reef shelf at the front, then reef flat, lagoon and mangroves at the back?

lakshwadeep

I haven't seen hobbyist tanks, but there are some in public aquaria. Zoanuts.com has a tank like that in their warehouse with a shallow tank that has mangroves.

Has anyone seen an aquarium designed to change biotopes from front to back? Ie. no baffles or levels, just one long aquarium that might have a reef shelf at the front, then reef flat, lagoon and mangroves at the back?

Yes, I've seen photos of one at a public aquarium that was deep at one end, with a reef wall, and then shallow with sandy seagrass area at the top. It wasn't very large, but pulled off the effect very well and could easily be done at home. I suppose a vivarium type setup with a glued in baffle to hold a sandbed in one half of the tank might work well.

There is also a home reef aquarium in France that is L-shaped from the side, with a deeper end simulating a fore reef drop off. It is very nice looking. I saw it on either glassbox or reefbuilders, but can't find it now...

Never mind, found it at glassbox:

grosjean-reef-wall.jpg

Not exactly a lagoon in the back, but it could be made into one with little effort...

I can't for the life of me find the other one I'm thinking of. It was super simple, and L-shaped like that one, but w/o all the coral, and had a sandy area at the top with seagrass. Definitely looked like it was in a public aquarium. Anyone?

Archived