Coral Vue Hydros

ID MY ZOA, there are 3 if you look closely

northstar1357

northstar1357

A little background about myself, I am Hong and i graduated from Stony Brook University this year (currently unemployed). The economy is bad so i decided to spent my time doing reef aquarium.

The tank was born April 1. yeah April fools day haha

Here is a list of what i have

Nano Cube Deluxe

Live Stock,

2 Mexican turbos ( It gave birth to 3 tinny snails the moment TV switched to Digital. I guess they are happy and gave birth)

1 hermit crab

3 other snails

2 clownfish.

1 cleaner shrimp (but died after molting)

14 lbs of live rocks. 10 pounds from Ebay! YAY

14 pounds of live Sand

Live coral

Bubble tip anemone

GPS

Green and orange colony Zoathids.

2 feather dusters (hitch hiked)

Lighting

Since i am not home 70% of the times, i decided to purchase a timer. Works really well

Right now it starts at 11AM to 7PM

In my first chamber

Pura Phosphate remover

Sponge

Heater

Second

Sapphire aquatics PS first Gen with mod sicce pump that i just ordered from Kyle.

I will post pictures on the performance of the new pump.

More sponge

Third Chamber

What goes in the 3rd chamber???? LOLZ

MJ 600, i dont want to much flow.

Maint.

10 percent WC weekly

i use R/O water with H2O salt Mix

I have to say the saltmix is really nice.

I also have a 3 gallon JBJ pico that i am going to setup later

Is there a better way to upload my pictures? they are limited to 1MB

post-39011-1244869318_thumb.jpg

post-39011-1244869741_thumb.jpg

...(currently unemployed). The economy is bad so i decided to spent my time doing reef aquarium.
It's too bad that it's not an inexpensive hobby. But it is a nice tank. :)

Is there a better way to upload my pictures? they are limited to 1MB
Edit the size and jpg quality first.
northstar1357
Holy Cow! After i fed my 5months old betta to my nem. My nitrate spiked!

Here are some more pictures of my tank

031.jpg

DSCN5383.jpg

DSCN5250.jpg

DSCN5239.jpg

DSCN5317.jpg

What other corals should i get? In the mean time, i am waiting for the Sicce pump from Sapphire Aquatics

northstar1357

My Nitrate was at 40ppm so another 10 percent water change, i hope my sicce pump arrives soon. I dont like mixing salt in my bathroom. My water parameter is changing dramatically due to the nem popping so much

masterbuilder

10% water changes wont do jack for for your nitrates. Check out this graph and see what you need.

As you can see ... you can do 10% water changes till your blue in the face and it wont make much difference. To cut your nitrates from 40 to 20 you would have to do 7 - 10% water changes and that does not count the nitrates that are being added back into your tank each day.

nitrate-graph.gif

northstar1357
10% water changes wont do jack for for your nitrates. Check out this graph and see what you need.

As you can see ... you can do 10% water changes till your blue in the face and it wont make much difference. To cut your nitrates from 40 to 20 you would have to do 7 - 10% water changes and that does not count the nitrates that are being added back into your tank each day.

nitrate-graph.gif

Since i am still new to this hobby, can you give me some pointers on how to keep my nitrate level balanced? My sapphire skimmer is currently broken :angry: ( pump died so i ordered a new pump and kyle said its on the way)

Will PS lower my nitrate level? How often should i feed my 2 clownfish?

I Mexican Turbos made Baby snails! i just bought they 1 week ago from my LFS.

I think they sell them for a cheap price. they sold a red hermit crab for 1 dollar and turbos for 3. is that cheap?

Right now i can't see where the baby snails are hiding but when i do see them, i'll post pics.

Anyways how do i change the topic title above? i want to rename this page and i cant seem to find the tools to change the topic title :angry:

lakshwadeep

Are you sure the baby snails aren't collonistas? They are nocturnal.

To rename the topic, click on the first post "edit" followed by "full edit".

masterbuilder

What would I do?

1) get rid of the nem

2) do enough water changes to get my chemistry under control (near zero nitrates)

3) do what GioReef said

Mark

To answer your poll, you can keep a BTA in a NC for > 1 year, but the health of the animal will slowly suffer over time. I am not a nazi that says you have to wait 6 months to a year before you add a Nem to the tank, but you do have to wait for your tank to reach equilibrium. Your tank is way to young to be able to handle a creature as delicate as a anemone.

If you decide to keep it, I would feed it often, as it's symbiotic algae is going to get weak over time under your lighting. You will know this is happening when you see the animals colors start to fade or it bleaches. Also, if it loses it's stickiness that is a sign it's feeding impulse is diminishing,. Ironically this is usually from malnutrition. Do not feed it freshwater fish. Buy some silversides or krill or fresh mussels (saltwater).

I currently have two BTAs under PC lighting and I am ashamed to say they are not doing well. I have had them about 1.5 years and they are only surviving, not thriving. That is why I am upgrading to a larger tank with much better lighting and a big sump. After I move them it will probably take ~6 months to nurse them back to optimum health.

There is a website called Karens Rose Anemones. http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm. I would read every page if I were you.

-Prof

northstar1357
To answer your poll, you can keep a BTA in a NC for > 1 year, but the health of the animal will slowly suffer over time. I am not a nazi that says you have to wait 6 months to a year before you add a Nem to the tank, but you do have to wait for your tank to reach equilibrium. Your tank is way to young to be able to handle a creature as delicate as a anemone.

If you decide to keep it, I would feed it often, as it's symbiotic algae is going to get weak over time under your lighting. You will know this is happening when you see the animals colors start to fade or it bleaches. Also, if it loses it's stickiness that is a sign it's feeding impulse is diminishing,. Ironically this is usually from malnutrition. Do not feed it freshwater fish. Buy some silversides or krill or fresh mussels (saltwater).

I currently have two BTAs under PC lighting and I am ashamed to say they are not doing well. I have had them about 1.5 years and they are only surviving, not thriving. That is why I am upgrading to a larger tank with much better lighting and a big sump. After I move them it will probably take ~6 months to nurse them back to optimum health.

There is a website called Karens Rose Anemones. http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm. I would read every page if I were you.

-Prof

Thanks, i have read her entire article and that is why i purchased the Nem. she has it under PC too. my nem is still green and last night when i fed my betta to my nem, it ground HUGE!

normally i feed it krill

any other input?

Nems are easy to take care of, dont listen to these non nem heads.

Also, dont feed bettas to your marine animals. Many reason this is bad. :)

If your nem gets to big for your tank, feed is heavy for a few days and get it to split.... then sell one of them. If you are a beginner I would remove it.

northstar1357
Are you sure the baby snails aren't collonistas? They are nocturnal.

I just googled "collonistas" and i saw a picture that looked similar to what i saw the other night. i thought those were baby snails... Argh. anyways. are they dangerous to my tank? should i remove them?

The ones that i have in my tank are pretty big too. probably the size of a grain of rice.

northstar1357

The Sicce pump from kyle arrived however, missing the removable 1/2" OD tube. but i tested without the tube and this pump produces a lot of micro bubbles.

Post picture tomorrow.

Plus my GPS grew and so did zoa.

Over the weekend, purple slime algae formed on my live sand...

HELP!!!

lakshwadeep
I just googled "collonistas" and i saw a picture that looked similar to what i saw the other night. i thought those were baby snails... Argh. anyways. are they dangerous to my tank? should i remove them?

No and no.

northstar1357

The new Mod Sicce pump from Sapphire Aquatic came. It works like a charm. although the 1/2 tube is missing, i am able to attach the unite using the eheim 2213 tubing with ehiem control silencer and it produces dry skimate. The pump is on a first generation skimmer. NC 12. pics upon request.

The pump rattles at first but after 4 hours, it quiet down. also The new Mesh impeller pump produces at least 3 times more bubble over the standard pump. Great job Kyle. can't wait for my new silencer so i can use my eheim on my freshwater.

Here is the link to see the skimmer on Youtube!

northstar1357

FREE Green ANEMONE! i dont want it anymore. cause my tank nitrate to spike :angry:

If interested PM me

• 5 months later...
northstar1357

I am back to my original forum. i have been posting forum here and there on N-R and neglected my original forum. My tank which i started back in april faced many twists and turns. It has crashed because i went on a trip and only fish survived. All my corals i had died. 2 weeks ago all my fish died too. I went to the LFS and picked up a nice fish(diseased, but i didnt knw) and killed both my clownfish(the first fish i had in there). Freaking mad.

Anyways here are some pictures

DSCN7306.jpg

i bought this damsel before i bought the clowmfish. then i put my nem in there and it started hosting my bubble tip. WEIRD! more pics

DSCN7310.jpg

DSCN7299.jpg

HOw come damsel doesnt get stink?

I also have a monti cap in there, It is about 3 inches wide by 2 inches, zoa colonies, two clownfish and many snails

Help! i found a mini bristle worm in one of my live rocks. i tried sucking it out with syringe but it got away

Why are you harassing it? Does it look like this?

worm3.jpg

If so, leave him alone!

Archived