Top Shelf Aquatics

Deep Sand Bed

purplefirefish

purplefirefish

Any of you have a deep sand bed? if so.. do you like it?

I've been googling them and i've seen some negative reviews, but a lot of postive...

Anyone hate a deep sand bed?

haha feel like a total d-bag now :P....but all ive really heard is a no-no in a nano but if its for the 125 i would think you would be ok and it would prob look hella-nice

I had one in my 35 up until I moved. I didn't find anything beneficial from having it, the two years it was in place. In fact, it made me nervous. I was always afraid I would disturb it and crash the tank. Personally, after having both, I prefer a shallow sandbed.

I have about 1.5 inches in my 20H after I put the rock in first. But my Pistol shrimp keeps moving it around so some spots are deep and some just cover the bottom, then the next day he changes every thing. I guess if you have criters that dig in the bed deep is better.

purplefirefish
I have about 1.5 inches in my 20H after I put the rock in first. But my Pistol shrimp keeps moving it around so some spots are deep and some just cover the bottom, then the next day he changes every thing. I guess if you have criters that dig in the bed deep is better.

sometimes i'd like to shishkabob my pistol shrimp.... :blush:

DSB Pros:

-denitrifying bacteria

DSB Cons:

-can't move the tank without recycling

-cannot reaquascape once the anaerobic bacteria is established

-cannot disturb the sandbed

-improper cleanup crew and maintenance will lead to detritus filled sand and you will have issues with organics anyway, especially phosphates if not nitrates as well

i would set the tank up with no more than 1.5" of sand. let your fuge and water changes take care of nitrates.

BLoCkCliMbeR

mine was a (hydrogen) sulfide and phosphate trap...even w/ sand sifters....when i broke the tank down, the sand bed stank up my house, smelled like rotten eggs (sewer gas)......

ive read stuff too on how they could be benifitial b/c it provides a home for bact. and stuff....but a shallow sandbed does too, not to mention the rock its self.....

imo, its not worth the head ache.....the cons out weight the benifits, and if your doing your water changes and keeping up w/ routine maint. you shouldnt need one

just add a remote deep sand bed its much more convenient.

+1 if you want to try do a remote DSB in sump or tub. If you don't like it you can always remove it.

sometimes i'd like to shishkabob my pistol shrimp.... :blush:

^that

+1 if you want to try do a remote DSB in sump or tub. If you don't like it you can always remove it.

^and that

So what do you do if you already have a DSB and no longer want it?

Man that is a good question. I think the only real solution is to remove everything to a bucket and suck out all the sand. Add new sand and move everything back. Then watch the tank as closely as possible for cycle.

I have a 55gal tank and a 30gal tank.

My sump pumps to my 55 gal tank and half of its flow goes back in the sump the other half goes to the 30 gal tank then to the sump.

The right side of the 30 gal tank has 110lbs of live sand making a 5-6" DSB. From the tanks inception (8+ months ago) I had this DSB and my nitrates have never shot above 0 since the first week. I use media/macro algae to take out the phosphates and I only do a 10% water change every 3-4 months cause I get bored.

The DSB works for me but its definitely controversial. If you decide to do one you should have one in a separate tank, perhaps a small pump that goes into a quart milk carton filled 1/2 with live sand and have it simply overflow back into your main tank.

Oh and in my case if I wanted to get rid of the DSB I just unhook the flow to it.

I think I should make my sandbed more shallow,without even thinking about it I have a DSB.

I'm going to fix this before my tank gets mature,especially since I'll be moving it sooner than later.

I have read that as long as you only siphon one small area each time you do a wc the bacteria you remove/disturb/kill will quickly be replaced and will keep the bed healthy. not sure how you would siphon under rocks without removing them , which to me at that point its not worth it.

I think I should make my sandbed more shallow,without even thinking about it I have a DSB.

I'm going to fix this before my tank gets mature,especially since I'll be moving it sooner than later.

Siphon out a few cups of sand at a time, you don't want to just remove a whole inch from the tank in one day.

Goofball310

There are a lot of misconceptions regarding DSB that really need to be cleared up. A lot of people base there facts off of he said/she said. Most people that have complaints about DSB are people that fall between the 1"-3" range of DSB. Proper DSB is supposed to be OVER 3", and it should be noted that people suggesting 1.5" still fall into the DSB category. The problem with the 1"-3" range is the anaerobic bacteria starts to populate at a depth that is easily disturbed. This is why you will randomly find complaints about people with spikes in their tank’s readings when they disturb the sand. Proper care should be taken with DSB also such as proper flow and a sufficient clean up crew to prevent the build of waist. This really should be something we practice with all sand beds though.

I personally love DSB for it added filtration and the enjoyment of adding livestock to help manicure it such as sand sifting starfish, gobies, tangs, etc.

For people with 1" or less I highly recommend the RDSB approach and it requires no care at all besides a steady flow over the top of the surface area.

Here's a great thread on RC regarding RDSB

RDSB

DiverReefer

What about the differences in substrate? I know a DSB with .25-3 mm is different than a substrate made up of pieces mostly bigger than a pea.

If I do a bed of around 3-4 inches in my NC24 it would be because of a jawfish or goby/shrimp combo.

I have a SSB in my 40 display and a DSB in my 20L fuge I love it you can actually see the areas in it and its pretty cool. Just get critters to sift it and your set. Also know of some people putting bubble wands under them running back and forth atleast twice and using air to help it out it's pretty useful actually and pretty cool.

BLoCkCliMbeR
Man that is a good question. I think the only real solution is to remove everything to a bucket and suck out all the sand. Add new sand and move everything back. Then watch the tank as closely as possible for cycle.

bad idea....the tank needs to be broken down compleatly.....the second you get down to the bottom layers you release all the sulfides and can kill fish and inverts......

take everything out, then get rid of the sandbed......refill w/ new water

Archived