Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bluest MH 20k Bulb

snostorm

Well Its bulb time and I almost bought a 14k Phoenix. Running a 20k Ushio now. Im a blue addict though. What are the bluest 20k MH bulbs on the market?

I was looking at a Radium 20k.

jamesnmandy

also look at the XM 20k, you are looking for blue, not par...keep that in mind, you requested color over par

I just left 20k ushio for a 14k phoenix. I love it. It isn't as blue, but an awesome color.

How does it compare? My Ushio doesnt seem very blue. How is the color of the Phoenix? Brighter? Do your corals pop as much as the 20k Ushio?

also look at the XM 20k, you are looking for blue, not par...keep that in mind, you requested color over par

Yes I know. Im not planning any SPS. Shrooms, GSP, Rics, and I plan on some LPS.

slippy steve

The ushio definitely whitens over time.

The colors pop a lot with the phoenix, it is like this really cool ice/blue color instead of the darker blue with the ushio.

bulb recommendation is hard, I really like it though.

I have a Sunpod so Electronic ballast I think. And I was wondering if my Ushio has been whitining over time. Its about a year old.

I have a Sunpod so Electronic ballast I think. And I was wondering if my Ushio has been whitining over time. Its about a year old.

Right on. I've heard that are more blue under different ballast.

This process is starting to become a PITA. Im ultimatly looking for something different then the Ushio 20k, but I like the Blue. Was alomst set on the Phoenix 14k but am not convinved its blue enough for my taste. Now I am leaning torwads the Radium...........or XM..........

XM is blue, no question. It is a lot dimmer than the other bulbs by comparison. Ever thought about actinics to add more blue?

radium 150w on a sunpod is less blue than phoenix 150w on sunpod. imo, the phoenix blue washes out the tank a bit. the radium is less blue but the colors still pop

radium 150w on a sunpod is less blue than phoenix 150w on sunpod. imo, the phoenix blue washes out the tank a bit. the radium is less blue but the colors still pop

Really? Even being 14k vs 20k with the Phoenix vs Radium. I have been reading some really positive reviews about the Radiums......

XM is blue, no question. It is a lot dimmer than the other bulbs by comparison. Ever thought about actinics to add more blue?

Yes I did but my tank is a 29g AGA and the Sunpod takes up alot of real estate. I was looking for some really thin T5 fixtures that mght fit with the sunpod but it seems my options are limited.

XM is blue, no question. It is a lot dimmer than the other bulbs by comparison.

Dimmer to your eye and to PAR meters... Just b/c all the light is blue to deep blue which is where your eye and PAR meters are less sensitive. I am sure it is kicking out plenty of energy.

I have elluded to this in some other posts in other threads, but I may have a super slim actinic solution that will add about an inch of total width and give killer fluorescence and blue color.

i have the same dilemma. not sure if i should go with the Phoenix or the Radium... don't want super blue, just more color than my stock mh bulb is giving me. I'll be following along on this one to see what everyone thinks... B)

greatdanelover

If you like blue then get a BlueLine 20k from www.championlighting.com it will blow you away I have a friend who has one and it's blue as hell I think you will like it.

that^.

Really? Even being 14k vs 20k with the Phoenix vs Radium. I have been reading some really positive reviews about the Radiums......

The phoenix is really a 20k labeled as a 14k. It is definitely bluer than a 150w radium 20k. fwiw, I'm running radiums over my tank now and won't even consider another lamp at this point. IMO, the phoenix is junk in comparison. The radium doesn't wash out the tank like a phoenix does.

i have the same dilemma. not sure if i should go with the Phoenix or the Radium... don't want super blue, just more color than my stock mh bulb is giving me. I'll be following along on this one to see what everyone thinks... B)

radium, hands down.

I'm using EVC 20K's over my tank, highest PAR for a 20K (not considering a Phoenix 14K as a 20K, it's labelled 14K) and they are nicely blue. But then, before and after the metal halides I'm using VHO Super

Actinics, can't get much bluer than that. (resist evilc66, resist :D )If you really want to find the bluest bulb, just go to Joshi's site and compare

Well, the Phoenix is somewhat brighter, but not greatly, and the EVC sure looks bluer

EVCvsPhoenix.jpg

Where's that spectrograph come from? I wonder if those intensities are actually directly comparable or not.

I wonder if some of the deeper color of the EVC is caused by that largeish peak below 420 nm, though that is near the lower limit for the human eye.

Overall, they look very similar which is cool.

EDIT: I see you added the source. :)

Main thing is when you're way down there skirting the UV you have a lot more energy for fluoresence.

the colors definitely "pop" under them.

I often have to edit to get everything in. Maybe that's why my post count is low. :P

Archived