Top Shelf Aquatics

Show Off Your Stand!

lgreen

petkingdom619

for all of the diy stand makers..

What type of wood/material would be best to use if I want a nice clean painted finish on it?

so where you cant really tell its wood. if that makes sense

masterbuilder
for all of the diy stand makers..

What type of wood/material would be best to use if I want a nice clean painted finish on it?

so where you cant really tell its wood. if that makes sense

For solid wood..popular paints best. For plywood...birch. There are some other woods that paint nicely, but popular and birch are readily available. Pine and oak are the worst choices. The trick to any paint job is fill all imperfections and joints , then sand, sand, sand. When your finished sanding.....fill and sand some more. Trick two...NEVER use high gloss paint.

My stand:

Finnex_FTS_07_06_08.jpg

I bought pine for my stand, stained it, then threw it away because it looked horrible and then I went out and bought birch and it stained beautifully.

Masterbuilder: I don't have a nail-gun so would I be able to just glue my trim on?

petkingdom619

ok so do I use wood filler you mean, or just keep coating it until its smooth. And no high gloss? so a flat black? then a polyurethane finish to make it shine?

I just went with the stock Biocube 29 gal stand. Drs Foster & Smith had it for $129.99 $13.99 shipping found a $5.00 coupon on the net made it $138.98 on my door step 5 days after I ordered it.Too good of a deal to pass up. post-41600-1233363354_thumb.jpg

masterbuilder
I bought pine for my stand, stained it, then threw it away because it looked horrible and then I went out and bought birch and it stained beautifully.

Masterbuilder: I don't have a nail-gun so would I be able to just glue my trim on?

Glue is cool...just make sure its paintable/stainable and waterproof. I usually stain the trim parts before I glue them on, looks nicer.

ok so do I use wood filler you mean, or just keep coating it until its smooth. And no high gloss? so a flat black? then a polyurethane finish to make it shine?

No...use a satin paint/poly, not flat. IMO...unless your a professional finisher, stay away from hi-gloss anything. It will make every tiny imperfection in your finish or woodwork stand out like a sore thumb and look amaturish.

heres my 90 gal stand, right now being used by my 40. it was just reg pine...lots n lots of sanding. lots n lots of staining! new hardware, and this is what i got.

post-34018-1233452883_thumb.jpg

here is my stand I just build for my 30 Breeder

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Its sitting in the garage now drying from me staining it black. I just got to add a door.

My stand for my upcoming 135 (55X26X22)

Aquarium004.jpg

I've seen this stand, its awesome. When he told me that was his new stand I thought he was lying it looked so nice. I guess he'll be adding smoked glass doors to the front or something, I guess he can tell you more considering he built it. When I upgrade I'll be doing something like this for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived