Coral Vue Hydros

Hanging kit directions for Current Lighting Fixtures

chaostactics

The original can be found here

http://www.reefbuzz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Disclaimer!

Following these instructions may lead to personal injury, jail time, or death (murder by spouse/room mate). Or a combination of the 3... In all seriousness this will leave three holes in your ceiling, be aware of what is in your ceiling (pipes, wires, etc.) Do all projects carefully.

BEFORE YOU START: Drape your tank so that you don't get drywall in your tank or drop hardware in your tank. (You may have more luck just following the pictures in lieu of reading the texts, I don't write directions very well)

n209700230_31035049_7947.jpg

Start out holding the ceiling plate in place where you want it to be, make sure it's centered over your tank left to right or how ever you want to do it.It helps to set your light ontop of your tank to make sure it's centered. You can now run the handing wires down to where they would connect to your light make sure they are where you want them.

n209700230_31035050_8687.jpg

Trace your ceiling plate with a pencil, once you pull the plate down make sure you have a complete circle.

n209700230_31035051_9435.jpg

This piece is your ceiling anchor note the direction of the closed spring unit it must be facing this way so that when you put it in your ceiling it springs open and anchors the screw in the ceiling. Choose a drill bit that has the same diameter as the anchor is closed. (Note if your bit is too small you can move it around to ream the hole bigger)

n209700230_31035052_418.jpg

This is the plate that joins the screws that hold the ceiling plate in place with the screws that anchor the unit into the ceiling. Now mark the points where your anchors are going to go into the ceiling mark as far out on the elongated holes in the plate once on each side this is where you are going to put your holes for the anchors.

n209700230_31035053_9072.jpg

You take the long screws insert them though the long holes in the in the piece shown (head down, anchors on top) hold the anchors closed push them in the ceiling until you hear them flip open.

n209700230_31035054_9739.jpg

This screw is the one that will be joining the ceiling plate to the part you just installed (the washer is very important, you may even consider adding two washers this will help the ceiling plate fit more flush later)

n209700230_31035055_1224.jpg

Insert a screw each side in the elongated holes make sure they are in between the screws that are anchoring the whole thing to the ceiling so that you can slide them back and forth to adjust them.

n209700230_31035056_2969.jpg

Thus far it should look pretty much like this.

n209700230_31035057_4280.jpg

Next step is tightening up your ceiling anchor screws, I advise using a screwdriver for this rather than a drill motor because you run the risk of knocking the screws that are pointed down out by accident.

n209700230_31035058_4889.jpg

You'll need to pull down gently on the plate as you screw the anchor screws in to keep the anchor screws from slipping. Do not pull down hard on them you risk damaging your ceiling.

n209700230_31035061_7213.jpg

Next drill the hole out of the center of the long plate, this allows you to push excess wire up into ceiling when you have your fixture installed.

n209700230_31035062_7886.jpg

Insert the wire for the hanging kit tough the hole you just drilled. You can now push excess wire though this hole as you slide the ceiling plate in place (also when you adjust the hanging height.)

n209700230_31035063_8985.jpg

Adjust the two screws that hang down left and right slide them though the hole in the ceiling plate, then put on the cap nuts screw them tight, and viola!

• 1 month later...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Thank-you so much for posting this! I can't believe I'm the first comment... Very helpful thread!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used this, or any other hanging kit, to hang a Current USA Nova Extreme or Satellite? I know this hang kit is for the Sunpod, Orbit, or Extreme Pro, however, I am looking for a clean way to hang the 2x20w 18" T5.

I know it has legs, but I like the asthetics of a hanging fixture, esp. on the ADA I am about to get.

My issue is I can figure out a good way to attach any hanging hardware to the fixture itself.

All help would be great!

Archived