Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fishneedit... anyone dealt with?

phaze5

I am going to be buying a lighting setup ( maybe from these guys) in the next couple of weeks and need to know if these guys are a good company to deal with. I have seen them on ebay and the web but I have not heard anything on here about them.... btw if this is not a good place for this let me know... thanxz D

I am going to be buying a lighting setup ( maybe from these guys) in the next couple of weeks and need to know if these guys are a good company to deal with. I have seen them on ebay and the web but I have not heard anything on here about them.... btw if this is not a good place for this let me know... thanxz D

fishneedit search

I should be recieving my fishneedit 150w MH fixture today or tomorrow. I can post back when I do get it and let you know the out come.

There actually is a post kind of recent in the lighting thread "150 Watt MH on a 10 gallon" and a user on here has a few pics of it hung over an empty tank.

From what I have read the MH fixtures seem to please. Ive also heard that the reflectors in the T5 fixtures are not so great and the bulbs are kind crap but that the rest of the fixture is quality and looks nice. And you could buy the T5 fixtures swap to new bulbs and still be ahead on price.

Found those pics courtesy of user: Otto

000_0118.jpg

000_0123.jpg

Finally got some stuff in the tank. Updated pics. I am happy with it so far even though there is no coral yet. Only thing I noticed is a dark spot directly under the bulb. This is my first metal halide set up so not sure if this if normal for a DE bulb.

000_0143.jpg

000_0144.jpg

You can see the dark spot in this pic running right down the middle.

000_0138.jpg

el_vulture619

I have the 4 T5 36" fixture, does great and good deal! I had a problem with the LED moon light strip, he sent me a new one the next day. good people.

look in the T5 sticky thread in the lighting forum.

I got 2 - 250 watt pendants from fishneedit above my nano. They seem to work pretty good. One did have a slight sodering issue with an endcap. But i was able to fix it within a minute or 2. Otherwise I've had mine for about 3 half months and not a problem to think of to tell you the truth.

yeah what I am looking to buy is a 250w mh... I am not really pleased with the one with the dark spot... anyone else have anymore input on this

Aright so I got my 150watt MH while I was at work today. I have the black line of death. Thats what im gonna call it anyways. If you have the fixture elevated more than 8" from the bed of your tank, it starts to get the black line of death in the middle. My solution to fix the problem is to change the bulb mount. it has a galvanized bracket right in the middle above the bulb to hold the bulb mounts in. which would make sence because it has no way to reflect the light in the center above the bulb.

no prob i will. i am thinking all i need to do is take bracket out, made 2 slits in the reflector and put the bracket between the reflector and the housing instead of the bulb and the reflector. reuse the current holes that go through the reflector and run the screws back in. that way the only none reflective thing above the bulb is the screw heads.

no prob i will. i am thinking all i need to do is take bracket out, made 2 slits in the reflector and put the bracket between the reflector and the housing instead of the bulb and the reflector. reuse the current holes that go through the reflector and run the screws back in. that way the only none reflective thing above the bulb is the screw heads.

Alright so I ended up getting all moded up. And the result was that I got rid of the horrible black line of death in the middle.

I took a lot of pictures during the process of doing all the work.I will post all the pics and instructions tomorrow.

My only complaint is I got the 14k bulb color and it looks really yellow. I'm going to cross refference and make sure that the ballast will support the 14k pheniox bulb as I am very unpleased with my color thus far.

Odd i have 2- 250 watts from fishneedit and no lines. I did replace my bulbs with 14k phoenix when i got them, but i'm lost to why u guys have the black line of death. :huh: Like i said before i had that one simple issue of a loose wire on the end cap but it was easy to fix.

one good thing though is long story short is i ordered a 250 then some people said overkill for what want so sent email asking if could change to a 150 and i would just let them keep the extra from going down to 150 and they got back to me next day saying would change the order and credit my account when shipped.Seem like awsome people to deal with so far but this black spot worries me now.I guess ill just wait and see.

Ok i have been talking with fishneedit by emails for while tonight and i have some good things to share with you guys i think.Im just waiting to see if he cares if post here.Im very happy with them for reponding to help me as much as they have now.

well its hard to understand the emails but ill just sum up fast as can that the problem with the 150 and 70w reflector is being looked into and when they get new reflectors from the supplier they will send us a new one to install if we contact them with the issue.He is saying it might be a bit/april ish.The 250s are fine and they are changing out 250 relectors into the other ones now after the problem was found.Ill just mod my 150 reflector when come if needed no biggie i guess untill i get a new one from them.I think i would still order from them now knowing all this.

How to mod your Fishneedit 150W MH fixture, to remove the "Blackline" or "Shadow of Death"

Alright so I here are the pictures and instructions as promised.

IMPORTANT! Try to not touch the bulb with your bare hands, but if you do be sure to clean it well with and brand new paper towel. I would do it even if you dont think you touched it.

The whole process took about 25 minutes start to finish.

Here is all the tool necessary to do the whole mod.

IMG00059.jpg

Here is a pics before I started so you can see the bracket I'm talking about.

IMG00042.jpg

Start by taking the 4 screws out of each side using a P2 phillips screwdriver and taking the end caps off. Then slide the two side panels out and the glass out. CAREFULLY!

Then take the bulb mounts off using the smaller sized phillips screwdriver(not sure on the size on that one, use the picture of the tools for reference. Just use the biggest phillips the is small enough to fit in the whole in the socket end.

IMG00048.jpg

Then do the other side.

Then before you remove the 2 screws holding the socket bracket to the fixture take a sharp and mark on the outsides the bracket at each end and it should look like this.

IMG00050.jpg

Then taking a 5/16 flat head screwdriver place the screwdriver head on the side of the each line a firmly tap it with a hammer. Once you have your 2 guide marks put the end of the reflector with the mark slightly of the edge of a firm surface. Then strike the screwdriver through the reflector just until the slot is big enough to clearance the the bracket.

Then stick the screws through the reflector, tighten them to the brackets and it should look like this.

IMG00053.jpg

Then close it it all back up and it should look like this.

IMG00054.jpg

Hope this helps everyone. It was super easy. Ask questions if you have them.

I am really satisfied with the light now that its been up and running a week now. The stock bulb even looks decent after it burns in a little.

Looks super easy. Thanks for the pics. So the black line went away after that?

I have some T5 reflectors I was thinking of cutting up and trying to DIY a better reflector for this too.

Archived