Coral Vue Hydros

Hippo Tang(DORY)

jjohnson3

I have a 38 gallon reef and I have a 180 gallon ordered. I cannot set the tank up until next year though. I Would like to puchase a hippo tang for the tank. There is only 3 fish as of right now. Two false percs and a firefish. Would the tang have enough room in my tank for a year or not? Purchase size will be around 2-3 inches

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope ;)

I have seen about 5 or 6 tanks on this website where people are keeping them in red sea max's and 20 highs or longs. Why cant I? I am not meaning to be a smart azz. LOL

I have seen about 5 or 6 tanks on this website where people are keeping them in red sea max's and 20 highs or longs. Why cant I? I am not meaning to be a smart azz. LOL

Technically you can "do" whatever you want, but you did come to this site for advise? no?

I have a small hippo in my 80 gallon and it seems to grow slow. It's hard for me to answer your question because I don't know how fast they gown.

I have a small hippo in my 80 gallon and it seems to grow slow. It's hard for me to answer your question because I don't know how fast they gown.

I did come to this site for advice. I am just wondering if it is ok to do it given that will be that last fish until the 180 is set up.

Usually I'm a member of the "tang police", but this fish will be fine in there for about a year. As long as it is around 2 inches or so.

It won't last much longer than a year, though, in a smaller tank.

I was actually given the OK by Fenner to keep a small French Angel in my 39G CAD for almost a year. I ended up selling it since I got a nice offer, but it would've been fine. Was about 2 inches also.

I give this the OK, though. Should be no problem. Hippos are slow growers and as long as you keep him well fed, he should do fine in the smaller tank for a short time.

no, don't do it. I don't know what tanks you see with them inside, such as a RSM, but they are stupid for doing so. I am sure if you looked over their tank thread, you would see many comments about getting that thing out of there.

Why not just wait to get the large tank set up THEN buy the tang? The 38 is much too small for it's swimming habbits. If you had said a few months, then maybe it would be ok, still a PIA to catch a fish once inside a tank. But a year, much too long.

dory... please don't name it that

To put it bluntly and to remove the whole morality/humane treatment of pets question from the equation your problem isn't going to be so much will the fish fit as it will be will this fish kill off my other fish.

I say this for two reasons. One is that tangs, including Hippo's, are known to be very susceptible and are usually carriers of various and sundry parasites and bacterium that will kill them and your other fish. This includes Ich. Second is that tangs like the Hippo can be very aggressive fish. Especially so in such a small environment. Think a blue devil damsel on roids.

So to answer your question of can you? Yes you can. Should you? Most likely not as you will most likely end up with the loss of the tang, possibly your other fish, and allot of headaches along the way.

Why not just wait until the new tank is up?

no, don't do it. I don't know what tanks you see with them inside, such as a RSM, but they are stupid for doing so. I am sure if you looked over their tank thread, you would see many comments about getting that thing out of there.

Why not just wait to get the large tank set up THEN buy the tang? The 38 is much too small for it's swimming habbits. If you had said a few months, then maybe it would be ok, still a PIA to catch a fish once inside a tank. But a year, much too long.

dory... please don't name it that

Thanks guys. I think im gonna try it. Ok. The name wont be dory. It will probably be Blue or Freckle or something like that. THANKS GUYS!!! Can I feed it the macro algae plants that are kinda reddish/brown?

Usually I'm a member of the "tang police", but this fish will be fine in there for about a year. As long as it is around 2 inches or so.

It won't last much longer than a year, though, in a smaller tank.

I was actually given the OK by Fenner to keep a small French Angel in my 39G CAD for almost a year. I ended up selling it since I got a nice offer, but it would've been fine. Was about 2 inches also.

I give this the OK, though. Should be no problem. Hippos are slow growers and as long as you keep him well fed, he should do fine in the smaller tank for a short time.

tang police=LAME!

You have to get premission to do stuff with your tank?

I was respondingto the

Would you do it?
subtitle. I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't buy a fish that would need a bigger tank than I had at that very moment, reason being tank builds can get delayed or not ending happening because of finance or time issues, and you usually don't want to end up with a fish that doesn't belong in your tank especially because Hippos are big swimmers. Not saying you aren't going to put together your 180 in a year just that you might want to wait to get a Hippo tang until you have the tan setup. JMHO but it's your tank and you can do whatever you want with it.

And if you have an emerald crab watch out!!! I had a Tang for 4 days. Then I woke up early to see my crab eating my tang. I have a small tank (40 gallons) But I have a 125 build in progress. I guess though that a year would be too long. Just wait till you have the tank and are just waiting for it to cycle. Then that would be a good time to get the tang.

I was respondingto the subtitle. I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't buy a fish that would need a bigger tank than I had at that very moment, reason being tank builds can get delayed or not ending happening because of finance or time issues, and you usually don't want to end up with a fish that doesn't belong in your tank especially because Hippos are big swimmers. Not saying you aren't going to put together your 180 in a year just that you might want to wait to get a Hippo tang until you have the tan setup. JMHO but it's your tank and you can do whatever you want with it.

K. I think Im gonna try it. I have seen multiple tanks online that are keeping them. One tank on here has a Vlamingi Tang in it. Thats an interesting fish!

And if you have an emerald crab watch out!!! I had a Tang for 4 days. Then I woke up early to see my crab eating my tang. I have a small tank (40 gallons) But I have a 125 build in progress. I guess though that a year would be too long. Just wait till you have the tank and are just waiting for it to cycle. Then that would be a good time to get the tang.

No emerald crabs. I have a very open reef tank. About 50lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. If i had more I wouldnt try it.

why ask if everyone tells you no and you say thanks and do it anyways? just do it and dont tell us cause were only gonna call you a ^*%&%&%$ B)

FYI. The reason I chose yes is because apparrently I am not the only one that has tried it. If you are gonna knock me for it, why not knock them too? Is it because I only have a lil bit over 100 posts? I ask what I need to and not BS around. TANG POLICE SUCK AND NEED TO GET A EFFIN LIFE!!!!!!!

FYI. The reason I chose yes is because apparrently I am not the only one that has tried it. If you are gonna knock me for it, why not knock them too? Is it because I only have a lil bit over 100 posts? I ask what I need to and not BS around. TANG POLICE SUCK AND NEED TO GET A EFFIN LIFE!!!!!!!

He only has barley over 100 posts. Yeah the Tang police suck to a certin extent!

I have a 38 gallon reef and I have a 180 gallon ordered. I cannot set the tank up until next year though. I Would like to puchase a hippo tang for the tank. There is only 3 fish as of right now. Two false percs and a firefish. Would the tang have enough room in my tank for a year or not? Purchase size will be around 2-3 inches

...and if certain issues (money?) keep you from actually setting it up, will you return it?

...and if certain issues (money?) keep you from actually setting it up, will you return it?

Oh corse ill return it. If I cannot set the tank up. I am pretty sure I will be able to though. I have some money in a safe that goes directly to the tank. :)

Oh corse ill return it. If I cannot set the tank up. I am pretty sure I will be able to though. I have some money in a safe that goes directly to the tank. :)

Why not set it up now? Or at least start the cycle...

Why not set it up now? Or at least start the cycle...

Im movin out. Thats why. LOL. I am moving a few miles from my parents house. I am getting the tank as a graduation present from my parents. The tank will be set up as soon as I get settled in my apartment.

Archived