Coral Vue Hydros

5.5G Project With H.I.D 35Watt Mh D.I.Y

scholar

Well I was to late to enter into the contest for the 5.5G AGA so I have decided to be a black sheep and do mine own along with them, plus I dont think they wanted my Canadian money lol. Well here is some pics.

august076.jpg

august080.jpg

august079.jpg

august078.jpg

august082.jpg

august084.jpg

Picture222.jpg

Picture217-1.jpg

Picture233-1.jpg

Picture229.jpg

Picture226.jpg

Picture232.jpg

I have read lots about useing these HID's but have yet to see any ones tank with them on it. Im a mechanic and can get them dirty cheep so thought I would try anything once. Hope to have pics up by this weekend of it running.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Im going to add another 4 teeth on the over flow and im now working on the makeing the arm to hold the light above the tank, im trying to make it so its adjustable so I can set the hight above the tank. Yes I hate when people have these lights installed on their cars, but i cant say much since i have them installed on my truck. They are worth every penny if you drive alot at night. The heat from these bulbs isnt any more then a set of Pc's would produce.

What color temp are the HID's?

I've never seen above 8000k. But those are crisp white with a violet tint, so with supplemental actinics...

Very interesting project anyhow.

Tagged

The bulbs are a true 10K not coated with blue. I hopeing not to run attinics with it. Does any one know if it would be possable for me to still enter for the 5.5aga ?? If so who and were should I make the cheque out to??

Does any one know if I can still get into the 5.5aga contest?????????????????????? I still dont have water in the tank... I would really like to go up against the big boys.

Picture267.jpg

Picture266.jpg

Picture261.jpg

Picture265.jpg

Well it's offical they will not let me into the 5.5AGA contest :( I was too late. Ohh well, I'm going to keep this build going if someone wants to add me to the unofficial unoffical 5.5G AGA contest I will tag along. I think that there is already someone in that catgory.

Picture290.jpg

Picture291.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Picture297.jpg

Picture306.jpg

Picture308.jpg

Well its finally starting to look like somthing but I have to wait till the 15th before I can add water since im entered in the canwest.com 5.5aga contest.

please let me know what every one thinks so far.

Well was a long day at work I got the hole drilled for the Maxi Jet return, im going to go with a 600 :) lots of flow. I also got the power supply all hooked up the light and it works great (yeh I was a little worried) Now i can start glueing in my baffles and welding up the acrylic. Now its also onto some sort of stand hmmmm.... Will have more pics tomorrow

A great freind of mine has one. Thats a skimmer that we have been working on makeing its turning out crazy! the possablities are endless. the cnc is a 2.5foot square with about a 1 foot rise for the 3D

right now we are looking to make a skimmer that should handle a 300gal with ease for around the 350 mark (selling it for that and makeing cash) :) who knows maybe something may come of it, right now we are just trying to make get the stuff out and being used on people tanks.

august090.jpg

august092.jpg

august095.jpg

august096.jpg

august097.jpg

august098.jpg

august099.jpg

august100.jpg

august101.jpg

The stand is made of an old Bell sighn (the blue oval) and the rest consists of an old night table laying around and some partical board. The mini power bar for the mini tank and a reworked computer power supply to power up the light.

Archived