Top Shelf Aquatics

Jamie's 5.5

Jamie

I've always wanted to be in a NR contest, but after the official contests went away, I was sad! But now I'm in a contest and I'm happy! Hooray!

Okay, haven't really decided exactly what I'm gonna do yet, but I'm thinking mushrooms, ricordea and euphyllia. Probably fish-wise a Yasha goby. Maybe pistol shrimp, anemone shrimp, porcelain crab, sexy shrimp, I don't know exactly, just ideas for now.

Here's the tank! (sorry about the algea, I haven't cleaned it yet)

IMG_0370.jpg

Weetie - I'll try to get the money to you as soon as possible. We're going to the beach this weekend, so I won't be able to mail it till monday. I don't know if that'll make the deadline, is it okay if I'm a day or two late? :unsure:

-Jamie

here's the running total so far:

hitchiking purple mushy - $10 - removed

blue (aka pink/purple) mushy - $15 - killed it

green stripy/purple mushies - $30 - moved to different tank

light - $33.53

2 snails - $4

Frogspawn - $15 - moved to different tank

Hydnophora - $35

Trumpet - $15

Blasto Merletti - $15 - moved to different tank

Eviota Goby - $19 - sold back to lfs

purple Fl ricordea - $20 - moved to different tank

Orange acan - $13.50 - moved to different tank

Anemone shrimp - $10.80 - vanished

green/brown mushroom - $5

2 brown zoas - $2

itty bitty leather - $3 - removed

money cowry - $8

centropyge argi - $19 - moved to bigger tank

xenia - $15 - removed

trimma goby - 29.95 - vanished

orange ric - 20 - moved to different tank

bubble/zoa rock - 20 - moved to different tank

sexy shrimp - $15

blue monti - $15

green monti - ??

macroalgae - ??

Total: $132.53 + ??

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to do a coldwater tank, but then I realized the chiller would put me over the budget right away. I'm actually really excited to be setting up a tropical tank. My first tank was tropical. It looked good around the 1- 1.5 year mark, but then started declining, so I'm giving it a go again. Here's the said first ank when it was looking it's best:

DSC_0489.jpg

I miss it :( , that's why I'm setting up a new one!

-Jamie

I was going to do a coldwater tank, but then I realized the chiller would put me over the budget right away. I'm actually really excited to be setting up a tropical tank. My first tank was tropical. It looked good around the 1- 1.5 year mark, but then started declining, so I'm giving it a go again. Here's the said first ank when it was looking it's best:

DSC_0489.jpg

I miss it :( , that's why I'm setting up a new one!

-Jamie

not too shabby there, sir!

looks like we'll have some good competition in the 5.5g contest!

Thanks everyone, I hope I live up to you guys' expectations! And if you have any suggestions, let me know (is that cheating? :P )

-Jamie

Dont worry about cheating Weetie has already been cycling her tank for 3 months :rant:

Dont worry about cheating Weetie has already been cycling her tank for 3 months :rant:

Hey, that's not true!!!

He's saying that cause I'm using rock that I had sitting in a tub with water and a PH for that long, but I don't consider it cycled cause it hasn't had any life in with it.

I'm hoping to get a hermit soon to toss in the tank to cycle it FOR REAL!!! :angry:

Hey, that's not true!!!

He's saying that cause I'm using rock that I had sitting in a tub with water and a PH for that long, but I don't consider it cycled cause it hasn't had any life in with it.

I'm hoping to get a hermit soon to toss in the tank to cycle it FOR REAL!!! :angry:

Cheater! lol j/k. Yeah, I'll be using cured LR too. When I took down my tropical tank a few months ago, I gave all my stuff to a friend, and now he wants to take down his tank, so I'm gonna cycle this one with a little of the rock that's in his tank, then slowly start transferring corals (with a few additions from the fishstore, of course).

-Jamie

Added water, lighting, LR, ph.

Light - 2x14 watt 24" coralife T-5 fixture. Both bulbs 10k. This is a used fixture (5 months -ish), but was 39.99 new (i saved the box, which has the price on it). Do I take he 75% discount from that price, or should I find it on Fosters and Smith or whatever?

Also, got LR! Exciting!

FTS:

IMG_0372.jpg

Mushy!:

DSC_0076.jpg

I need your opinions on this guy, if he counts as a hitch hiker, since he came on the LR, or if he counts as a "bought" critter. I got the Lr from a friend who is taking down his tank, so, as you can imagine there was some stuff attached to it. This is the only nice (imo) thing. There was a small colony of tiny, icky brown zoanthids and a very small green-brown mushroom. Those seem like typical hitch hikers, so I'm counting them as such, but this is a pretty nice mushroom, and I'm hesitant to cound it as a hitch hiker, because what are the chances of getting something like this just buying rock at a store? Opinions? Should I "pay" for it, or just count it as a hitch hiker?

-Jamie

On the light, either count it as 75% of 39.99 or 75% of Fosters & Smith (whichever is cheaper, I say!)

On the mushroom, you do need to subtract some kind of "cost" for him. How big is he? Quarter size? Silver dollar size?

Cool looking LR!

He hasn't opened up fully yet, but I'm guessing he's a little bit smaller than silver dollar size.

Here's the closest thing the the mushrooom I could find:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=654

Small (2-3") = $34.99

Lighting: 39.99 (75%) = $29.99

Tank: I, strangely, couldn't find just plain old aga tanks on foster&smiths, so i'm just saying $10, because I think that's about what it cost.

Total so far: $74.98

-Jamie

Oh really? Well that is most excellent, puts my total cost down to $39.99 (10 mushy + 29 light.)

I've sort of consolidated my list of inhabitants, here's what I've got so far.

Coral:

Purple rhodactis

green stripey mushies

blue stripey mushies

red mushies

ricordea

frogspawn

blasto merletti

hydnophora

Xenia?

Monti cap?

Inverts:

Periclimines anemone shrimp

porcelain crab

pom pom crab

pistol shrimp

cleaner shrimp?

snails

Fish:

yashia goby

I'm aware I probably won't be able to afford all that with the budget, but those are all things I want, and I'll have to decide which among them will make the tank.

As a general rule for this tank, my goal is that everything in the tank must be symbiotic with something else in the tank (zooxanthellae don't count :P ), not including the clean up crew. Anything anemone-like counts with the anemone shrimp and porcelain crab. Pistol shrimp and goby is obvious. Pom pom crab has got it's little anemones. The only thing I don't know about is the hydnophora. I want to include it because I like the branching look, and it's a fast grower, but it's not really symbiotic with anything, and I'm worried about it being aggressive. I'll probably add it (my friend has a lot in his tank) and if it doesn't work out, get rid of it.

took a little trip to the fishstore today and got myself some shrooms and sand. :)

Turquoise rhodactis or ricordea (can't really tell yet, looked ricordea - ish in the store, but more like a rhodactis now): $15

shell with 2 green stripeys and 1 purple/blue: $30

Total: $84.99

also, I saw the new rule for "free" corals. Does the $10 price for the purple mushroom still stand?

I'll try to get pics later tonight when the water clears up and the mushies open.

-Jamie

Indeed, not going to be much of a cycle, since I'm starting off with cured rock that was only out of the water 15 minutes, and was kept wet that whole time. Still, I'm sticking with hardy things (aka, mushrooms) for a while.

FTS a la sand

DSC_0085.jpg

Various mushrooms

DSC_0079-1.jpg

This is the supposed blue mushroom, but I think it looks kind of pinkish in this photo, or is that just my colorblindess?

DSC_0081.jpg

The ugly brown mushy. (sorry bout the bad pic) The blue spots are visible in the pic, but not as much in real life. hopefully they'll show up more as it grows.

DSC_0082-1.jpg

This was once a hob filter, but the pump is broken and the tube missing. I have a powerhead pumping water into it to make it run. I think I'll use this as a little fuge, with just ambient light, but I might try to work something out light-wise. I'm counting this as mod/building supplies, since it's broken. Let me know if I should add a price for it.

DSC_0088.jpg

-Jamie

Wait, WUT???

This must be what people who don't sit around posting all day do!!!

(announcery type voice)

"...and young Jamie is off to an early lead..."

Ka ching! Thanks guys. I think it may be that the picture is just funny, because the shroom looks blue gray to me in real life, and when I asked the fish store lady what the price was she said, "Is that one of the blues? yeah... 15 dollars." So, unless she's colorblind also, or just taking advantage of me, it's actually blue. Regardless, I like my magical color changing mushroom! :D

Archived