Cultivated Reef

RSM 65 watt lighting upgrade

JimDantin

• 3 years later...
JimDantin
bumping and old thread to see if others did this mod.

Wow - that WAS an old post.

FYI -- the RSM developed a leak and has been re-purposed into an orchid terrarium for my wife. The leak was caused by some rough handling when we moved and was in an area that couldn't be accessed for resealing.

If I ever get another RSM, I would do this mod again without hesitation. It worked extremely well and made quite a difference regarding both the appearance of the tank and coral growth. I would consider using LED's instead of the CF tube - heat is always an issue.

I have moved on to a 155 gallon bowfront tank, but the RSM was very successful for me and would be my first choice if I ever have to start over. It was very easy to maintain and provided a great foundation for mods. I also recommend upgrading the skimmer and installing one of Stevie-T's Media Baskets. Use a couple Koralia pumps to maximize water flow.

JimDantin

Kat - I just took the time to read some of your postings via your signature line. I think you've been stalking me! Picotope, BC14, RSM - the same progression of tanks!

Don't be intimidated by the hood mod. The hardest steps are getting the hood flap apart the first time, and then fabricating the plexiglass cover. I'd offer you a trade on my flap but it's gotten pretty ratty looking over the years.

I didn't know how the two halves of the flap were held together so I ended up gouging it up quite a bit. There are six friction-fit posts that have to be pried apart -- two in the hinge area and four along the back edge (look at the pictures). Just go slow and protect the edges of the flap with stiff cardboard or plastic when you're prying apart the halves -- you can see from the pictures where I got sloppy.

Very nice mod Jim. Where did you get/find the plexiglass cover and how did you bend it?

Thanks

The plexiglas came from Lowes - it's just the thin stuff that they usually have in the same area as where they sell glass for windows or picture frames.

I bent it by using a heat gun i bought at Harbor Freight. I hung it over the edge of my workbench with the edge right where I wanted the bend to be. Then I heated just the area to be bent. When it softened a bit I bent it down to the approximate angle. While it was still somewhat flexible I fit it to the hood to match the angle.

Using the workbench edge (or a piece of plywood) will help you get a sharp and straight bend -- don't try to freehand it! It's sealed to the hood with a heavy bead of silicone. Before sealing it in place I drilled access holes for the hood screws/

Thanks for the info Jim!

I have a AH supply bright 55 watt kit with reflector AH Supply bright kit it should work perfect for this if it doesnt sell on a planted forum I'll be using it for this mod. I post some pics here if it ever happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't check in here regularly, so sorry for the slow response. As I have previously described, the flap has screws that are hidden under little press-in covers. Then you have to pry apart the two flap halves because even after removing the screws the hood is held together by some friction-fit posts and sockets where the screws fit through.

Use a putty knife, screwdriver, or something similar to separate the two halves. Look at my pictures -- you can see where I did a great job of buggering up the plastic with a screwdriver! It's pretty difficult the first time.

Thanks Jim. Step 1 is removing the whole front part from the hinge that attaches it to the rest of the hood. This part has both Spiro and me stumped.

I'll worry about prying the 2 parts of the feeder flap apart later.

Thank you for your help.

The two halves of the flap have the hinge captured -- you have to open up the flap before you can remove it from the rest of the hood.

Spirofucci
The two halves of the flap have the hinge captured -- you have to open up the flap before you can remove it from the rest of the hood.

I don't know if the old hood are exactly the same, but the plastic plugs on the feeder flap are very tightly inserted and flush with the surface unlike the rest of the hood where they are very easy to remove so you can get at the screws.

I'm gonna try and either pry them or possibly drill them out tonight.

Spirofucci

After a few four letter words and some drilling, I got it apart. The plastic plugs were the problem. I could not pry them out so I had to drill them out. I also broke the plastic inserts that help keep the hinge together, but I think it will have no problem being fully functional.

this thread was a great help!

thanks, mark

This is a classic case of a design with "No user servicable parts inside"!

Are you starting to understand why I didn't offer a flap mod service? I don't think there's any way to NOT deface the flap in some way when you take it apart for the first time. I really did try to describe the issues but it's a very difficult part to disassemble. I was able to pry my plugs out, but they were pretty mangled. They are not needed after reassembly.

Archived