SaltCritters.com

The Indestructible 5.5g + 2.5g Tank

arwndsh

When I first set up my new tank I had one goal in mind, the perfect habitat for a pistol shrimp and a shrimp goby.  15 months later and after several changes I finally (sorta) have what I want.  My tank consists of one tiger pistol shrimp, two sexy shrimp, one goby (of undetermind type) and several indestructible corals.  I have proved that plate corals are not as delicate as some seem to believe mine are often burried for weeks at a time by my pistol shrimp with little to no descernible damage.  My other corals consist of a variety of mushrooms, an unknown freebie, and xenia.  I have also learned other lessons with my tank such as sexy shrimp will annoy a feather duster to death and then eat it once it has died.  And that somethings, such as zoanthids, can survive huge temperature swings (early in my tanks life pre sexies my heater malfunctioned and sent the temp up to 110 degrees) and others such as blue cloves don't survive so well.  Also, I am happy to say that after countless moves in the last year (10 at last count since August), one of which that was over 12 hrs long with no air pump or heater and two that were about 8 hrs each, with no deaths, that moving is a piece of cake (at least with my little tank) all you need is a cooler and some empty water jugs.  With the history out of the way here are the pics.

First some old ones:

Original Plate Garden

fishtank017.jpg

Xenia and another plate

fishtank005.jpg

New pictures:

FTS

IMG_4532.jpg

Old plate with new plate

IMG_4533.jpg

Starfish from PhishyAly

IMG_4536.jpg

Tiger Goby *Elacatinus (Tigrigobius) macrodon to be exact thanks reefdan

IMG_4892-1.jpg

IMG_4893-1.jpg

IMG_4895-1.jpg

Smallest baby plate

IMG_4900-1.jpg

Unknown coral (freebie) with trumpet coral in front

IMG_4904-1.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched try to find an idea for the fish, l looked at the convict and tiger gobies, but its def not them. Hmm, looks like you get a unique fish.

I searched try to find an idea for the fish, l looked at the convict and tiger gobies, but its def not them. Hmm, looks like you get a unique fish.

Thanks for trying.  I have gone through all of the pictures on fishbase for eviota and trimma genuses.

Nice tank! Those sexies can be a *little* annoying at times. :D

Thanks!  Don't I know it.  But my female seems to be knocked up again.

Ok more pictures:

Pistol Shrimp

IMG_4897.jpg

New mushie

IMG_4901.jpg

Also, if someone could help me id the unknown coral in the last pic of the first post that would be great.

Ok more pics thanks to my husband:

Best fish pic:

IMG_5069.jpg

Artsey xenia pics:

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

Mushie:

IMG_5085.jpg

Hitch-hiking duster:

IMG_5094.jpg

artsey sexie:

IMG_5118.jpg

Newest weirdiest plate:

IMG_5097.jpg

new/beter fts:

IMG_5108.jpg

Needreefunds

Hubby sent me over. :P

Beautiful tank!

Tagging along if you don't mind. :)

Yes, hubby takes artsy pics, but we very much enjoy yours as well. :lol:

Sorry I can't help on the ID's :(

Thanks!! I'll take any attention I can get. :lol:   I like my pics, too.  But, Daniel was taking pics of his tank and I was cooking so he took some of mine as well.  So I got artsey tank pics. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so for the long awaited update that I promised.  Things have changed a lot.  There are now two tanks in this system (not conected).  I have a 2.5g sitting above the 5.5g.  The 2.5g was turned in an LPS haven, well untill I got another plate and had to move the unkown and the brain down to the 5.5g.  The 5.5g has had some other new additions that include some new mushies, some colt coral courtsey of Daniel and my flower nem that has been in his tank since January.  :blink: So now onto the pictures:

Plates eating:

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

Candy Cane coral eating:

IMG_5469.jpg

Fish I have been trying to find since well I decided what I wanted in my tank over a year ago:

IMG_5637.jpg

Sexies playing in their new home:

IMG_5639.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

Some pics of my new mushies:

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

The new brain with a plate:

IMG_5665.jpg

Close up of plate:

IMG_5666.jpg

Baby plate:

IMG_5668.jpg

Other plate on this rock:

IMG_5669.jpg

Nice update Amber.

That isn't the Tangaroa goby you have been looking for is it?

Thanks!!!

And it is  :D I finally found one at a local pet store.  He lives in the holes my pistol shrimp has dug with him and the other goby.  I need to get a full body shot of him, but he always sits in such hard places to take pictures of.

yay pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys invite each other to dinner on N-R.com? I think its amazingly cute you post on each others threads lol....

I can just see Daniel starting a thread from one room to tell Amber dinner is ready.

(Notice Daniel cooking for Amber :) )

PS very sexy pics, I love the sexy shrimps

Do you guys invite each other to dinner on N-R.com? I think its amazingly cute you post on each others threads lol....

I can just see Daniel starting a thread from one room to tell Amber dinner is ready.

(Notice Daniel cooking for Amber :) )

PS very sexy pics, I love the sexy shrimps

No we don't use it to set up dinner dates, although we do sometimes use it to argue about things.

He does cook for me  :D In fact he is a better cook than I am.  He does the cooking and I do the baking.  It works well for us.

Thanks!!  I love them too even though they limit the things I can put in my tank.  They killed my feather duster and I don't even want to try them with zoanthids.  Thats ok though I can put zoanthids in other tanks (ie Daniels tank)  :lol:

Thanks!!!

And it is  :D I finally found one at a local pet store.  He lives in the holes my pistol shrimp has dug with him and the other goby.  I need to get a full body shot of him, but he always sits in such hard places to take pictures of.

Wow, congrats on finally finding one!

Interesting that he hangs out with the pistol and the other goby.

That must be fun to observe. :)

I also agree that its funny how you two converse through several threads here. :lol:

C'mon Daniel, get a good shot of them for us huh? I know you cans doos it, cuz ya got skilz!

NRF---it is a shrimp goby after all  :P although the tiger goby isn't so hes the weird one

So since I updated, figured I'd finish updating you to what it really looks like now.

Stocking list:

The 2.5g has 9 plates, 3 of which are on growing sites, 1 large one that is still attatched to a rock, 1 that came from my growth sites (the green one on the far left), 3 other small ones that I bought, and a large purple/green molted one that I bought at Exotic Aquatic (its the reason for all the switching around), 3 heads of neon green candy canes, 1 head of blastos (thanks BrShriver), 1 hitch hiking shroom from the 5.5g, some small daisy polyps, some xenia, and a pom-pom crab.  When I can catch the tiger goby he will be moved up here as well.

The 5.5g has lots of mushies, an unknown hard coral, an open brain, kenya trees, flower anem, 2 sexy shrimp, a pistol shrimp, a pair of Tangaroa shrimp gobies, and the tiger goby which as I said will be moving when I catch him.

Now for pics.

FTS of the 2.5g:

IMG_5847.jpg

Middle:

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

Right:

IMG_5855.jpg

New plate:

IMG_5859.jpg

5.5g FTS

IMG_5872.jpg

Tangaroa:

IMG_5842.jpg

More sexies

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

VERY nice guys!

( never know which one is watching the thread LOL ).

Does that Tangaroa have chocolate pudding on it? :huh:

nope...I licked him clean :)

Interesting......

Amber, the tank looks great, and those photos are fantastic too. :)

Thanks!! I'm slowly learning how to use his camera. I've got even more pictures that just need to be converted before I can get them up.

• 2 weeks later...
where did you get all the lil plates, I really like them, they look uber healthy :)

Thanks!! I got them from what used to be my lfs in KY when I was in school.

Archived