Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mommy, I Got a Ca-Pillar! NOT!

Weetabix7

Weetabix7

IMG_0863.jpg

I was in my yard taking pics of the above flowers when I heard a little voice behind me proclaim, "Moooo-mee, I got a Ca-pillah!!!"

I quickly turned around to "rescue" what I figured would be a squished caterpillar from his excited 2 yr. old grasp, only to discover something MOST un-caterpillarlike clutched in his grubby little fingers!!!

Once I got over the initial freak-out and got it away from him, I managed to take these pics.

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? It reminds me of a millipede, but it's much shorter than you typically see a millipede being.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reef Chicks

Great shots!!! These dang 2 year olds... mine runs out of my bathroom last week with a Kotex stuck to her head screaming "Mommy, do you have a boo-boo again?" I died laughing!

Edit: Uhh... unused Kotex, that is.

Millipede Mania - Apheloria tigana???

Kinda looks like the one here, but more colorful: http://bugguide.net/node/view/24217

If you scroll down to one of the replies there's a link to a one that looks almost identicle to your's....HTH

EDIT: P.S. Great shots!

Weetabix7

I LOVE trees.

I absolutely love being in a forest, and I've never really understood why people take trees down in their yards, unless it's for completely practical reasons.

I love watching sunlight on leaves, and I've always wanted to have a wooded yard.

Well I've finally gotten my wish and I have a backyard that is chock-full of trees!

I absolutely love it, I feel like I have my own little forest paradise.

Here's a few pics from my backyard Cathedral In Green.

IMG_0813.jpg

This was taken standing beneath the branches of a Holly Tree and looking up.

IMG_0810.jpg

I recently learned that my property extends far beyond the cleared out area that we've been using as our "backyard", and the kids and I did a little exploring in some of the undergrowth today. We found one area that is a small leaf-covered clearing with tree branches arching overhead. I love the way the sunlight looked filtering down through the branches in this area.

IMG_0833.jpg

And closer-up

IMG_0834.jpg

Check for ticks! Tiz the season! Someone said liquid soap on a cotton ball will cause them to pull their heads out. PaPa & Cindy both had some this week. Check the bottom of the belly button. Kelly Jelly Belly got one there once upon a time! :lol:

Weetabix7
WOW! no kidding! They really have a "summer shade" feel about them. nice

Thanks!

I was a little afraid it might be one of those things where it's beautiful to me cause I'm such a Tree Fanatic, but boring to everyone else, so it's nice to hear that other's are enjoying them!

And Gramma, thanks for the tick-removal tip. I've already had to remove a baby tick from a lil belly.

well, who knows, I may just love them cause I'm a tree fanatic too...My other addiction is bonsai after all. lol

Reef Chicks

I'm no tree fanatic, but I am a photographer (although one cant tell by my scky reef pics).

Those pictures ROCK!

Fanof49ASU
I LOVE trees.

I absolutely love being in a forest, and I've never really understood why people take trees down in their yards, unless it's for completely practical reasons.

I love trees, but I hate raking leaves!!!

Nice shots Wee!

What kind of camera/lens?

just about to say, I see that and think of fall yard maintence. But, I am right there with you, I have to be around the woods.

sidenote, I am gonna be down at norris lake in june, cant wait, beautiful there and tons of fun.

Weetabix7
I love trees, but I hate raking leaves!!!

Nice shots Wee!

What kind of camera/lens?

It's a Canon Powershot A720 IS, and I LOVE it!!!

No special lens.

As for the leaves, to be totally honest with you, I still have almost all of the leaves from last fall on the ground! :o

I had just started raking them when Ashley died; needless to say I didn't get any raking done after that. I'm gonna be playing "catch-up" all summer!

Dopamine, come on by when you're in the area!

A shot for dshnarw:

IMG_1023.jpg

:lol: Nice geode Weetie :) I have one just like that, but the chalcedony bands are grey-ish instead of white.

Weetabix7
:lol: Nice geode Weetie :) I have one just like that, but the chalcedony bands are grey-ish instead of white.

It's hubby's, actually.

I just thought it might make an interesting subject.

Sadly, most of the pics didn't turn out like I hoped, but I'm still working on it.

It's a Canon Powershot A720 IS, and I LOVE it!!!

No special lens.

How's the macro mode on that? I'm guessing pretty decent based on that dandylion pic...

Archived