Cultivated Reef

New 4G Pico

karlo

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on the tank, i decided to go with a 70w MH, it has a 20k right now but will switch to a 14k when it arrives.

Mixing Bowl :lol:

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

Epoxy to screw down bulb fixture

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7871.jpg

IMG_7873.jpg

IMG_7879.jpg

lilredneckman

Wow that is sweet! About how much did it cost you to make the whole fixture? I am thinking about making a DIY 70w MH in the future.

Ocho Cinco
Wow that is sweet! About how much did it cost you to make the whole fixture? I am thinking about making a DIY 70w MH in the future.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. How mudh did it cost for the whole light?

Mixing Bowl - $10

Bed, Bath and Beyond :lol:

3.5 Qt Stainless Steel so no rusting

500w light from Home Depot used for: - $15

reflector

bulb sockets

wire

Bulb

Ushio 14K

eBay -$15

pole

Copper tube from Home Depot $10

1/2"x5' in the plumbing department

Ballast $25

from a friend but it's about $38 shipped from Ballastwise.com

Epoxy $5

from HD - Metal Epoxy

Total $80

Hey Karlo It turned out freaking awesome. Im really glad I could help you decide on a 70W instead of crappy PC lighting. I knew you would be happier and that is one awesome DIY job there. Is the fixture hanging by the cord? why not some all thread?

Again thanks for letting be borrow your lights to decide.

I'm still working on a few things on it, the light is hanging by the cord but it is heavy duty and the pendent doesn't even weigh 1lb so it should be ok, it's not heavy one bit. I also need to put a UV glass on it so i won't burn the corals.

If anyone is using a DE bulb without a UV glass and has no problems let me know so i won't be wasting my time trying to rig it up and end up ruining it.

Again thanks for letting be borrow your lights to decide.

I'm still working on a few things on it, the light is hanging by the cord but it is heavy duty and the pendent doesn't even weigh 1lb so it should be ok, it's not heavy one bit. I also need to put a UV glass on it so i won't burn the corals.

If anyone is using a DE bulb without a UV glass and has no problems let me know so i won't be wasting my time trying to rig it up and end up ruining it.

"500w light from Home Depot " should contain a glass peice which should be tempered. Tempered glass prevents 97% of UV light from penetrating it and I would just reccomend that you use this as not all MH bulbs contain a UV filter as part of their make-up (ushio might though, amazing you got an ushio bulb for 15$)

*edit: UV light is dangerous for both you and your corals

thanks, but i will have to find one that fits in the pendent becuase the glass being tempered i won't be able to cut it, maybe i can slap on some pf45 sunscreen on my corals for now :D

thanks, but i will have to find one that fits in the pendent becuase the glass being tempered i won't be able to cut it, maybe i can slap on some pf45 sunscreen on my corals for now :D

:lol:

With luck, an oil based sunscreen might do the trick, being lighter then water and all

*edit: almost forgot, nice job and creatively round

was there any reason you didn't just use the mixing bowl as a reflector?-it looks more reflective then the 500W light from home depot

That is GENIUS, I never thought of rigging a MH retro like that!!!

You have become my inspiration for the day!!! :flower:

was there any reason you didn't just use the mixing bowl as a reflector?-it looks more reflective then the 500W light from home depot

That's what i was think but then the wires will be exposed and with the heat it may cause problems and it also gives a little insulation from heat transfer to the bowl which by the way stays cool to the touch. Also for the size tank it has more than enough light reflection.

Thanks for everyones awesome comments ;)

Archived