Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

der's sump and plumbing

der1311

Well I have a 10 AGA tank with 2 overflows in it. I plan to drill it and add a sump. I just purchased one of these to fit in another 10 gal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...cTODAY.m238.lVI

All I need to figure out now is... everything.

Return pump: either eheim 1250 or 1260. I also want to run a SQWD off it. -about 34" of head

(I like plenty of flow)

bulkhead size: 1.5" or possibly 2". Single or Dual

Overflow design: need to know where to drill hole and what variant of durso to use.

pic of tank

painted1.jpg

painted5.jpg

I probably need to figure out about 10 other things but I'll deal with it as it comes. Spring break is next week for me and I would like to be done by then. Thanks

I can't give you much input on your project, but just wanted to say that it's nice to see some posts from you, hope it's a continuing trend. :)

I can't give you much input on your project, but just wanted to say that it's nice to see some posts from you, hope it's a continuing trend. :)

Me too, if school/work/sleep/baby/school let me.

Also, I know I'm talking to myself, I'm wondering about the skimmer. I plan to have an Aqua C urchin in the sump but was wondering if there are any better choices out there.

I was at the wal today and found a nice garage cabinet/stand that I'm going to turn into my stand for this build. It's big and the doors are ugly, but I'm ok with it. Also I might put a long and shallow tank under the main tank as a prop tank. $50 on clearance, and it was already assembled.

stand.jpg

DSCN1224.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

this shocked me

DSCN1225.jpg

next to my current setup

DSCN1226.jpg

Let me know what you think!

The "Herbie" method has given me an absolutely silent overflow. You just need to have two holes drilled in each overflow. I'd try to explain the idea in detail, but a quick search may yield better results than my craptacular typing skills. The basic idea is that the top hole is used as an emergency back up. The bottom one is your main drain and the level inside the overflow is maintained with a valve on the lower one. As long as the water level is between the two drains, no air will get mixed in the flow.

can you possibly post a link or picture. I've only found long threads and I'm getting booted off the puter for so if you could that would help immensely.

thanks

lets see

for bulkhead placement try

http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--GrowReso...?ResourceId=188

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=19572&st=0

herbie style lets see simple explanation

two drains. one lower restricted to mantane submerged drain, thus quiet. second high flow unrestricted to act as a backup in case the lower one becomes cloged, thus no floods.

now art

post-24770-1206123049_thumb.png

so in this method, dose the top hole run separately to the sump, or does it join the bottom hole??

two separet drain lines.

lower is restricted, the other is fully open acts as a back up incase of a clog in the other line.

make sure that the backup is large enough to handle the flow rate with out the primary (lower) being used.

dead sylent with no floods.

well so far this is what I have ordered:

two 1" bulkheads

two 1/2" bulkheads

eheim 1262

SCWD

slew of pvc parts

1/2 10 gallon for prop tank

24in nova extreme T5 fixture

probably a few other thing I cant remember..... But tomorrow I will start drilling/cracking the tank.

well I tried drilling today but I cracked my tank. I'm not sure what bit to use, I used a steel bit because I figured it was stronger than a wood bit.. O well, I'll just hafta keep tryin. I was pretty sad so I went to my LFS and got a fish to make me feel better. He is now sitting in my other 10 gallon. he is a scooter blenny.... I'll some pics of mine later

213_scoot.jpg

Good Luck. Herbie method is the way to go!!! If your getting air bubbles going down your drain, you may want to put 90 degree elbows away from the teeth of your overflow.

90_degree_top_pipes.JPG

fastandsneaky
well I tried drilling today but I cracked my tank. I'm not sure what bit to use, I used a steel bit because I figured it was stronger than a wood bit.. O well, I'll just hafta keep tryin. I was pretty sad so I went to my LFS and got a fish to make me feel better. He is now sitting in my other 10 gallon. he is a scooter blenny.... I'll some pics of mine later

213_scoot.jpg

Sorry to hear that. You should buy a diamond edged bit. They are pretty expensive if you go to your HD but you can prob find them cheap on Ebay. GL

usssturgeon187

There are drill bits that are designed specificly for drilling glass . You should get a carbide GRIT or diamond GRIT drill bit . Also drilling with a hand drill is not the way to go (side-flex)! If possable use a drillpress . As I said GRIT is the key word .Do not use a fluted drill bit as it will cause the glass to crack . Good luck!

What??!!

No police. wow, this forum must be a pretty nice place, I was expecting some pretty hard slams for that last post.

No I didn't use a steel bit, I used a dremel and diamond grit bit. I actually didn't crack it either.

I set it up herbie style with 1" below and 1/2" bulkheads on top. I ran the whole thing once without the pvc glued and it worked fine. I almost had to shut the valves on the 1 inch tubes completely but Itll work I guess.

The only problem with sound will be from the water crashing over the overflow. Any ideas on how to remedy this??

Pics

everything sitting on stand

tank1.jpg

drilled tank next to sump

tank.jpg

my eheim, SCWD, and skimmer

tank3.jpg

Also, I didn't buy the scooter blenny on impulse. She is doing fine right now in my 10 and is currently accepting frozen brine and formula 1 pellets.

here's Phillip (I know Phillip is a guys name but I DON'T CARE)

philip.jpg

phillip and some crabs eatin some shrimp

philip1.jpg

tank4.jpg

Well now I need to glue all the pvc and water test it for about a week I think. Let me know what you think.

nice

?the splashing sound

A use a 90 bend on the upper bulkhead pointing up with a peace of pvc extending up to just below the teeth in the overflow. the waterline can then be kept at a height that elimenats the sound.

on a side note make sure to use straners or something to prevent things from entering the drains. would hate to see phil get sucked down and stuck in the valve. one of my clowns is in the overflow about once every 6 weeks.

would maby do 4 1 inch bulkheads instead of the 2 1/2 inch. these will not have a high enough flow rate to act as a backup drain.

yankeereefer

if you are doing a herbie drain, you should have a ball / gate valve on the primary drain. Use this to adjust the water level in your overflow to a height that eliminates the splashing and is still below the backup drain.

There's a sweet spot - You just gotta find it.

Also I's recommend putting eggcrate in your overflows (just below the teeth) to prevent the loss of curious animals / snails. You can also try the plastic gutter guard that comes on a roll

thanks for the help, altho I just glued it all togather. i used 2 1/2 bulkeads for back ups and they work well as backups. I'll get some pics up soon as I can. Also, my 1/2 10 gallon arrived. yay.

Archived