inTank Media Baskets

(updated!, $240)5.5g plan for $326, what do you think?

ealshabaan

hello,

i am thinking of getting a 5.5 AGA aquarium and i end up with 326 total for all my necessary hardware, and it is include live sand and live rock..

please take a look at the attached picture and let me know what you think about it, and/or if you have any thing to suggest.... please keep in mind that most of the prices are maximum approximation, unless the price is provided with a link where i already make sure of the price.

post-21453-1199370621_thumb.jpg

forgot to mention that i will have to buy some sort of powerhead later on to get more flow in the aquarium, but that will not be counted in my first budget plan

i do have an ATO.

and about the fuge issue, i like to have fuge because i am not a big fan of changing the water every week, i do change it every 1 month, i know that's so bad, but that's the way i take care of my fish(that is why i use additives)!

and i have some good experience with miracle mud.

also, for the first few weeks, maybe the first 3 weeks i will stick with this plan, then i will, for sure, get decent flow

by the way thanks, this is just my opinion

I mean that when I open the attachement the print is very small and I have to squint to read it. I try to avoid that sort of thing since my mom told me my face can freeze in that sort of position. ;)

Aquatraders charges a lot for shipping to make up for their "good" prices on other things.

The fuge is totally up to you. You might not need a PH with the circulation from the fuge into the tank if you do get it.

Miracle Mud is totally uneccesary.

You don't need Kent A&B unless you're planning on keeping sps and if you ARE planning on keeping sps you need a 70w MH light.

I suggest the Current 40w satellite PC fixture; it worked great for me on my 5.5 when it was set up.

SeaLifeInc. has great LR as well as great prices.

I'm glad you're going with a refracto instead of a hydrometer.

I hope you're happy now, my face just froze and looks all squinchy. :o

Just my .02 but I paid way less then that to have a 20 gallon with a sump/fuge filled with sand, rock and corals my only addtion was a t5 light fixture.

Just my .02 but I paid way less then that to have a 20 gallon with a sump/fuge filled with sand, rock and corals my only addtion was a t5 light fixture.

I just paid $300 for my 14G biocube with live rock, live sand, supplies, and live stock. Too high. Try buying a tank used off of craigslist as that is a majority of the cost.

so here we go again...

the new plan is just for $240, that's the beginning:

stuff that i allready bought ($137 + 13) + stuff that i will buy ($90) = $240

please take a look at me plan.

by the way i forgot to mentioned that i all ready have an ATO and that i will add a 2.5 gal AGA as a sump for my tank (that's all included in the $240 plan)

let me know what you think.

post-21453-1199439709_thumb.jpg

I LIKE THE NEW PLAN MUCH BETTER EXCEPT YOU'RE USING A HYDROMETER INSTEAD OF A REFRACTOMETER LIKE BEFORE.

THERE REALLY IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. SALINITY IS OFTEN SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER THAN WHAT A HYDROMETER SAYS. FOR EXAMPLE, IF THE HYDROMETER SAYS ITS 1.025 IT'S PROBABLY CLOSER TO 1.028 IN REALITY. I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE.

I DO LIKE THE 2.5 AS A REFUGIUM/SUMP MUCH BETTER.

KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR ALK/PH, SINCE SOME PEOPLE WHO USE OCEANIC HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THAT.

Archived