Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Another 5.5 AIO / UPGRADED! now ADA Cube 12"

MrMello

Finally done,....

5.5 AGA with ATO, 32 watt PC 50/50, 5 LBS LS, 6 LBS LR, MJ 600, 50 Watt heater, and some Halimeda.

Design

post-31914-1199370480_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199370493_thumb.jpg

Day 1

post-31914-1199370255_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199370267_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199370319_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199370335_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199370464_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199827211_thumb.jpg

Love your coral island. Looks like it has lots of potential for attaching corals. Also plenty of clearance space on all sides for keeping the glass clean. Can't wait for your next update.

I like how its all in one and your also able to have 3 viewing sides... would be perfect on top of my bar. Also imagine how a 20g long tank would do on that setup. If you have time can you do some renderings with a 20g long setup.

If i was going to do a 20L I would use a sump, standard overflows, and a wave box.

But if i needed it to be an AIO, I would do it using the mailbox mod with center overflow.

Or better yet do 2 mailbox overflows, one on each side with a MJ 1200 in each one with loc-line

returns, 2 50 watt heaters,.. etc

Or better yet a 1/2 55 gallon with a wiper wave maker, a beach on the opposite side, some seagrass and

small reefs in between.

Or better yet a custom 20 foot long 18 inch high x 18 inch deep beach scene with several independent reef zones, schooling fish, big inverts, about a hundred maxijet 1200 pumps,.. 12 250 watt MH 14K lights, and a Ford F-350

Diesel powered Chiller/wave box.

Still probably still to small to keep a Tang though,...

Sorry, but I don't have the time to draw it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=mailbox

Wow, MrMello, I should have realized you already had your own thread! :blush:

The beauty of these tanks lies in how gorgeous they look with nothing but rock. Zen garden, indeed! What a super accent for your desk...

Did your Halimeda come with the rock? One of my favorite macros...

I'm sort of mechanically challenged. When you have time would you please explain how the ATO works? What "opening set to the desired water height" means? (I think I know the "desired water height" part. :D)

--Diane

I know this is probably the simplest concept ever, but can you expand on the inverted top off?

Does the water reliably stop flowing when the tank level covers the hole? I assume that the ATO would have to be small enough to ensure that the pressure in the bottle was low enough.

lil'wrasse cool

haha love it that was my first ato about 8 years ago on my first sw tank...

Charm the water will stop as soon as the water level gets to the mouth of the bottle once it evaps lower then the mouth it will start to spill out...Not good for dosing but great to keep your salinity in check...Got the idea doing dishes one day...the only prob I had was that the bottle would fall over once empty...but I was using a 2ltr bottle when I went away for a weekend...I think I'm gonna try this on my new tank...haha...thanks for the reminder...lol

I bought a ton of Halimeda at my LFS for a few bucks. These are new growth divisions from my main tank.

ATO - Take a small plastic bottle, fill it with fresh water and turn it upside down with the mouth at the desired water height - (I used a 1/2 inch tube to extend it) - Salt water is heavier so unless you put it in a really high flow area, they will not mix. As the water level in the tank falls, air is allowed to enter and water escapes.

The only trick to this is that if the opening is too small, no air will enter, and if the opening is too big, all the water will gush out. It's a surface tension thing. My bottle is about 10 inches high and i use a 1/2 inch opening. It's not critical really, 1/4 inch to about 3/4 inch should work.

I bought a ton of Halimeda at my LFS for a few bucks. These are new growth divisions from my main tank.

ATO - Take a small plastic bottle, fill it with fresh water and turn it upside down with the mouth at the desired water height - (I used a 1/2 inch tube to extend it) - Salt water is heavier so unless you put it in a really high flow area, they will not mix. As the water level in the tank falls, air is allowed to enter and water escapes.

The only trick to this is that if the opening is too small, no air will enter, and if the opening is too big, all the water will gush out. It's a surface tension thing. My bottle is about 10 inches high and i use a 1/2 inch opening. It's not critical really, 1/4 inch to about 3/4 inch should work.

Very interesting!!!

Would of never thought of that.

Are u sure that you won't get diffusion?

Thank you! It was the "gush out" avoidance I was trying to grasp. :D Now I get it, I think. But is it tricky to fill the bottle?

--Diane

Nope,.. Fill bottle,.. Put finger over end, insert into holder, and presto. Not much water escapes even if you remove your finer completely and you will dribble a little, but it's not enough to matter. Try it with a bottle and a cereal bowl half full of water,.. That was my R+D lab,...

What about making this more complicated than it needs to be? What if you did the same bottle, say, 2 liter soda bottle, and put a bulkhead just up from the bottom. Out of this bulkhead is a 1/4 inch (ish) ID tube going to the tank. Would that work?

In my pico, any bottle upside down would take up a large amount of space relative to the size of the tank. With the bottle placed remotely (as long as it's above the tank) the tank will retain it's cleanliness.

Ok,.. Paint on the hood is drying,.. Got my diatom bloom, and checked my water,.. Time for a mini CUC.

A scarlet reef hermit and an astrea,...

And i finished my hood!,.. Got a computer fan running off a small 6 volt wall wart, keeps it cool.

So the ATO bottle stick through the hood a little,.. But on the plus side the ATO bottle glows,.. I'll have to fix that soon before the ATO bottle starts growing stuff,... maybe it could be a combination ATO and plankton refuge?

post-31914-1199825158_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199825167_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199825772_thumb.jpg

post-31914-1199825780_thumb.jpg

Archived