SaltCritters.com

JBJ 24g DX w/ 150w HQI

pprwngs

Ok, well today I bought me my first true nano cube. Ive been using a standard 29g with 18w lighting to cycle rock and let a false perc live. If you can even call that living. Well tomorrow I will be adding RO to test for leaks and if all goes well Saturday I will mix my salt in and transfer most of my rock along with half my sand i have 40 lbs in it so I dont think I need that much. Pictures will be up when i get some and when I have something worthy of it...

And as it stands this is what I have.

1x JBJ Nano 24g

1x K2 Viper 150w with a Ushio bulb 14k

1x Rio pump 500ish gph?

1x Rio pump 280ish gph

1x Koralia 1 440gph?

1x Sapphire Aquatics NC24 Protein Skimmer

1x 100w heater

All this minus heater and Kor1 I got from a LFS after they took down their NC24 to put up the new Solana. They sold me it all for 250. Not a bad deal I'd say..

ok well its not much but we have lift off. Ive added some salt after letting it run w/ RO for about 6 hours, checking for leaks every 30 mins or so. and yes i added salt directly to the tank i dont care theres nothing in it.

e8ded35e95.jpg

b749ed4bbc.jpg

so since there is no cover. im thinking of the jbj glass cover or perhaps egg crate? the glass will control evap better but also hold in the heat more not sure if that would matter much? also if i went with egg crate i'll need an ATO. either DIY or buy. how easy is it to make?

more pics coming soon, when i get my rocks in and some sand.. YEAH. also a big shout out to vividaquariums for this sweet setup, meant to do that yesterday. so far all the equipment is running like a champ. when i add a bio-load ill get the skimmer up and running...

Cool looking tank, What corals will you be putting in it?

I'm thinking some ricordea, a few polyps, a plate coral, a hammer or torch, and maybe a clam.

a new view

43d11dde14.jpg

clownin around

533fcfdca5.jpg

and look what i found still amazes me what things pop up

a9005bd7f7.jpg

well just about everything is moved into the new-ish nano all but a couple of rocks. is there a way i can store them with out leaving them in the the old tank? id like to take the tank down tomorrow.

i was sitting there looking into the nano when it dawned on me that none of you know the story of how this tank came to be. well here it goes...

about 1 1/2 months ago i set up my old 29g tank with my xp2 canister filter to do sw. i bought some sand and about 31 lbs of LR. i set up my aquascape and let the cycle begin about 2 weeks later it was done. added som cuc and waited another week and bought my clown, arrow crab, a peppermint shrimp who is sleeping with the fishes unfortunately dang powerheads i say lol lesson learned.

well as time went on i knew i needed a better light and i thought hmm power compact would be within budget but for the orbit light i wanted 160 was a bit much for just a light i thought. so i waited. and kept looking to find deals on the net and at my lfs. so one day i noticed some people commenting on vividaquariums.com so i checked them out and dang have they got some cool corals. and it just so happened to be that this store was only 1 1/2 hours from me...

so i waited till my work led me down that way and checked out their store. boy is it clean and the service was above par. i started talking with the guys looking at their new solana they had set up and chatted with them about nanos and what i was wanting and what i had. then they said they had just taken down their nc24 with a k2 150 hqi which they had just replaced the stock bulb with a ushio. first they said 400 for it and i cant swing that my wife would murder me. so i hung my head and looked at the corals again and looked in to a tank where they said they had some large eels but i saw nothing but fish and more corals.

as i was about to be on my way the guy behind the desk said how about 250.... my jaw dropped i called my wife luckily she wasnt in class taking a final... lol. we've only been married 6 months so i enjoy asking her if she thought it was ok for me to get this and that this would be all the christmas gifts i would need for a long time. and she said yes so a few days later and bam this is what i have.

well now that ive got you all caught up on this amazing tank... or at least i think so! i hope you all enjoy the ride as i expierence the world of nanos...

ok well to day i got my first coral a beauty of a zoo...

afae956b95.jpg

also i was wondering about fragging it. cause its on a shell and i was thinking of opening the shell and cutting it into 2 seperate pieces. any ideas? i was thinking i would by start opening it and cut with a exacto knife to split it....

HI! I just got a NC24 myself. I The only mods that I've done are: JBJ Surface skimmer, replace stock pump with MJ900 (less heat), added a koralia 1, and a sapphire protein skimmer.

I had a question about the skimmer. It's my first time venturing in the SW tanks, and I'm not sure of how the water level should be. I don't think I'm doing it right. My collection cup gets filled with water... Is the water level too high? or am I supposed to raise the level of the collection cup? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank!

HI! I just got a NC24 myself. I The only mods that I've done are: JBJ Surface skimmer, replace stock pump with MJ900 (less heat), added a koralia 1, and a sapphire protein skimmer.

I had a question about the skimmer. It's my first time venturing in the SW tanks, and I'm not sure of how the water level should be. I don't think I'm doing it right. My collection cup gets filled with water... Is the water level too high? or am I supposed to raise the level of the collection cup? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank!

I have never seen that particular skimmer but generally you raise your collection cup to get drier a dryer skim.

Chadd

Yup use the little o-ring on the collection cup. Move the o-ring lower and it raises the bottom of the cup up. Do it little by little until you get the desired output.

yeah, what they said, i had t ofiddle with mine till it got to be what i wanted... yeah this is my 1st SW tank also. i had set-up my old 29 to cycle rock and after a couple of weeks i added a cuc then a arrow crab and a clown. till i got enough to buy a better set-up. so we shall progress together. here here...! lol anywho back to the boards..

oh and here is a few new shots of tank and the arrow crab still waiting for a good shot of my fire shrimp...

955d4cd7db.jpg

14491f6e1e.jpg

e771c13e86.jpg

and the last is so that nemo doesnt go free willy style on me. he wasnt free to buy so he's not free to fly...

FyrFighter2004

The tank is looking good! Ill be getting one for christmas from my girlfriend. Funny thing is i originally wanted a PS3, she was a little skeptical because she knew it would occupy my time like crazy. so boy was she excited when i said never mind, id rather have a nano cube.(SW bug it me bad about a month ago) If only she knew....

ok so all reefers at one point do something wrong. well i think i just had my moment.... i listened to a lfs who said a golden sleeper goby would be fine in a nano! they said they were great at cleaning sand and they are well now i know he can get really big too big for my 24 so how does one get him out? today will be a interesting day on getting him out of there...

ok so all reefers at one point do something wrong. well i think i just had my moment.... i listened to a lfs who said a golden sleeper goby would be fine in a nano! they said they were great at cleaning sand and they are well now i know he can get really big too big for my 24 so how does one get him out? today will be a interesting day on getting him out of there...

I have a diamond goby in my tank and he does a superb job of cleaning the tank. He is a little big, but is doing great. He is like 3 or 4 inches. I have an arrow crab too, kinda boring but cool. I too have the 150 viper and have been using the JBJ glass top. Really does a good job protecting against evaporation. Does not trap heat. Temps go up about 2 degrees throughout the day maximum, sometimes less. I barely top off due to evaporation. How does the egg crate work out? Good lookin' tank. Nice rock work.

the eggcrate works well at keeping things in the tank but evap is crazy i need to get me a glass top. i should order one today online so i can get it before christmas.... well the rock work has changed slightly due to getting the golden sleeper out. traded him in for a purple fire fish who since putting in the tank i have not seen. i need to change the rocks a little bit to get a design i like again...

ok its been awhile since ive updated my thread so heres a few new pics...

FTS

bb6081182d.jpg

Green Star Polyp

13d7c7ae0c.jpg

looking for a few more corals. im thinking a ric, a plate, and something else not sure what that would be any suggestions....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well time to revive my dread thread!!! I've been busy with work and famliy over the past few days with Christmas and all... Well I've had a few changes in my nano, I've added some corals and a new hermit crab.

Well here's a few updated pics!

FTS

6ytxgl4.jpg

Xenia, Shrooms, Yellow Polyps, and Candy Cane

6o4309w.jpg

Neon Orange Hermit

87n6ic3.jpg

So as it stands I have..

1 x False Perc

3 x Dwarf Red Tip Hermits

1 x Neon Orange Hermit

3 x Margarita Snails

2 x Nassarius Snails

1 x Sand Sifting Star

1 x Arrow Crab

1 x Fire Shrimp

My rock and sand were in a different tank to start, along with my Arrow and False Perc. So since then my tank has been up and running for just shy of 3 months! I'm thinking a frag or 2 of zoas, a clam down the line, and a ricordea or 2. I want to add a few more snails to the CUC and an Orange Spotted Goby(Amblyeleotris guttata). So if any one has any info on that fish please let me know or if you have it how do you like it?

Great job! I really love that fixture. It must be great to be able to raise it for water changes.

That arrow crab is definately an interesting invert. Keep us updated!

I'll take that into consideration Gerber! I just don't know where I'd place it maybe front right corner. Any suggestions???

And Constantine as far as raising the Viper I've actually become quite adept in changeing the water with it down... It's all in the wrist!

Ok well today was funny. I reach into my tank to remove a small sea star hitch hiker. I know not all can be bad but I don't want to take any chances. Well my fire shrimp can out on to my finger to say hello. And I get the star then bam my arm starts to burn. LOL! Well it only stayed like that for about 5-10mins left a few dozen small red dots which are all gone now.

reefernanoman

Hi, I have exactly the same set up as you. 24g nanocube with viper light, and the ushio bulb. We even have some corals in common like the GSP and the zoos. I even had the eggrate like you, but it was blocking too much light. My tank is open top, but the evaporation is too much. I installed a JBJ auto top off inside a 5g bucket to fight this, but I will probably get the glass top, since I'm spending too much money on RO water.

Good luck!

Archived