Innovative Marine Aquariums

filefish949's 5 gallon SPS LEAK AND MINOR FLOOD

filefish949

as some of you know I lost most all my SPS recently. I had no way to save them and wish I did. I have received

many generous offers to help restock my tank but, after recently treating red bugs, and with fear of AFEWs I

decided not to do anything until I have a hospital / quarantine tank. so here goes

what i started with:

10 gallon standard tank from petsmart______________$11.00

300gph return/circulation pump___________________$free it was sitting around

small piece of Plexiglas from home depot___________$2.50

silicone adhesive from home depot_________________$3.00

hose and fittings________________________________$free it was sitting around

70 watt viper from dtfleming . _____________________$100 shipped

lighting timer from home depot____________________$8.50

power strip from home depot_____________________$2.50

total so far____________________________________$127.50

img0651qf0.jpg

the first step was to cut the Plexiglas to size, I did this by scoring it with a razor and a square then snapping

it along the score line

img0652wv2.jpg

then I test fit the Plexiglas this required the use of a file and sandpaper... note, a $11.00 tank is not always built

square :P and then I marked where I wanted the return

img0654ts0.jpg

I used a unibit to drill the hole, I would recommend a hole-saw, either way I had to go slow (I cracked it my first

attempt :( ) I found a sturdy cardboard box that I could drill into so the Plexiglas would be fully supported

once the hole was drilled I did a final check for fit

img0657tk9.jpg

then measured it to center and squared it... again a $11.00 tank is not all that square :P

img0659mv1.jpg

once it was lined up, I siliconed the Plexiglas in and installed the light. I found that when I smooth

the silicone bead in place with my finger, if i lick my finger tip it keeps the silicone from sticking

to my finger

img0661ai4.jpg

that is about all I can do until the silicone is dry in 12 hours. I am leaving the light on to keep the tank warm for better silicon setting the cold weather we are having

I am still looking for a few things. skimmer, heater cooling fan, autotopoff and I think I will be in business

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im guessing so he has a fuge. SPS do need clean water so I'm guessing thats the reason. Looks nice so far filefish. Are you going to have an auto top off on this tank?

yea, I am going to section off a fuge and i need room for a skimmer, heater and probes I am thinking the ASM mini-G so I need a lot of room in the sump. the main reason I am building it is for quarantining new additions to my tank

as far as a ATO, I am thinking of getting an ACJr. I will write the program to dose kalkwasser to maintain pH and stop once a float switch is tripped

we will see how it looks once I get some things growing in it.

thanks for the encouragement

oh it will be a week or two, I am going to take some live sand and rock and water from the main tank. most my rock has zoas and shrooms and the like all over it. I want to see how that stuff does first. i still need to get a skimmer

any advice about a skimmer would be most welcomed

and I am prety set on a ACJr. for this tank.

thanks a lot for the offer refur, I will gladly pay the freight. actualy, I do need a heater, if you still have my address, pm me the freight and I will papal you A.S.A.P.

OK, turns out the 300 GPH is a lot for a 5 gallon tank. I ended up notching the divider with my dremel to lower the water level in the display portion I do have good surface agitation though

img0678xp1.jpg

I probably should have waited till the water cleared up to take photos. I took water sand and rock from my existing display tank. then I added the dead skeletons of some of the corrals I recently lost in my disaster, that corral will be live-rock in a few weeks

img0681hy7.jpg

the only rock I had that would fit had this hairy mushroom on it, I hope it makes it. also I think I got 3 snails in the sand I scooped up, I am thinking of adding more sand from the display tank

img0682wr4.jpg

I am off to get a heater and i could sure use some help picking out skimmer

Nice tank, Is the acropora in your tank alive or are they just dead skeletons?

no, I killed all those about 2 weeks ago.

I got a Visa-Therm stealth 100 Watt heater which may be a bit much for 7 gallons of water but the tank is in the garage and it gets cold out here, and Visa-Therm has a good reputation for good thermostats I also picked up a mini carbon pouch, i have the powerhead sucking through it. it was a temporary idea but it slows down the flow to a reasonable rate. I was at 60x flow and I may keep using these

img0683or9.jpg

Visa-Therm______________$35.00

carbon pack______________$1.50

magnetic cleaner__________$6.00

stick on thermometer______$2.00

previous total_____________$127.50

running total______________$172.00

good news, i came out this morning and the tank was at 78 degrees, which where I set it. good thing as we are going through a cold snap right now and last night it made it down to the mid 50's

also, I found some surviving xenia on my rock which is amazing because when my display tank had it's catastrophic heavy metal poisoning, the xenia was the first to go. the water is still cloudy and I am still researching a skimmer

picoxeniawz4.jpg

good news, i came out this morning and the tank was at 78 degrees, which where I set it. good thing as we are going through a cold snap right now and last night it made it down to the mid 50's

also, I found some surviving xenia on my rock which is amazing because when my display tank had it's catastrophic heavy metal poisoning, the xenia was the first to go. the water is still cloudy and I am still researching a skimmer

picoxeniawz4.jpg

an interesting tank

Very cool. Could we get a wide-angle shot of the whole setup?

ask and you shall receive.

I looked at that PS-PC-PSNANO, freaking cool, it is definitely in the running must I need to know that it will work well. have you used it. I was looking at an ASM mini-g or something in the range of way too much overkill, it occurred to me that if I lost power to a big skimmer, it may overflow my tank :(

things I need:

a starter tort frag to test with

a skimmer

ATO is on it's way

photo of the day:

img0698nt0.jpg

Looks cool.

Wish I had a way to help you out on restocking, but the only sps I have is orange monti cap, blue polyp purple monti cap, and a stressed green polyp acro.

You're headed in a good direction, keep it up.

OK, next project, pico fuge I will probably build a deeper one for the other side and use this one for GAC and GFO but I like the concept, it uses main lighting source for the chato.

img0707pi6.jpg

the first step was to cut the lip so it would work as a HOB

img0708yc6.jpg

once it snapped in to place i progressively added slots in the back until I got the level I wanted. I ended up with this

img0714aj0.jpg

and finally, here is a small ball of chato happy in it's nano fuge

img0717wi3.jpg

Heres a decent new skimmer

Link

I just tryed to order one online but the websit took a digger right when I clicked confirm... I will give then a call in the morning... also had a great price on a ACJr. with serial port... $10 less than MD some stuff was more

just ordered the skimmer on the phone, it should be here tomorrow... also got an ACJr. for the nano. I am going to be topping off with kalkwasser and want the ATO to shut off if pH passes 8.25, when you add up the ATO control, pH monitoring, lighting timer, 2 stage temp control, and wave timer... the ACJr. @ $270 is just cheaper

also I had a few acropora digitifera frags laying around so I popped this one in

img0719ha2.jpg

Archived