Innovative Marine Aquariums

What Salt Mix do you use?

chrisdamage

I've used Instant Ocean and the Red Sea brand salt... now I just buy the water pre-mixed from my LFS... but I preferred Instant Ocean because it dissolved much quicker than the Red Sea salt and I could get better SG readings much faster...

I used to use IO but the new red sea seems to boost calcium since it is added in. Makes me dose less with b ionic. I got the red sea bucket with the purchase of my tank. I was impressed with the results

neanderthalman

Red Sea Coral Pro. I have no idea how long it takes to mix. I add enough salt for 5gals in a white bucket, and leave it with a powerhead overnight. Corals love it though, fixed my pH problems that I was having with IO.

I use Oceanic. Add it to a 5 gallon bucket of my RO/DI water with a powerhead and a heater and it's ready to go whenever I need it.

DESERTHEATRACING
I use Oceanic. Add it to a 5 gallon bucket of my RO/DI water with a powerhead and a heater and it's ready to go whenever I need it.

That is exactly how I do it as well :) let it mix for at least 12 hours with a powerhead.

I use real ocean water, they put so many chemicals in the city water here I don't even drink it, and by the time I buy RO water and salt it comes out almost the same only a few pennies different. and bottle water around her is like $8.00 for 5 gal and then you have to get salt. I get ocean water for $10 for 5 gal.

DESERTHEATRACING
I use real ocean water, they put so many chemicals in the city water here I don't even drink it, and by the time I buy RO water and salt it comes out almost the same only a few pennies different. and bottle water around her is like $8.00 for 5 gal and then you have to get salt. I get ocean water for $10 for 5 gal.

It cost me 64 cents a gallon but I purchase distilled water from a local source that says no copper lines are used / all stainless and it has been the smartest decision I have made with my tanks. I never have to second guess anything.

Add it to a 5 gallon bucket of my RO/DI water with a powerhead and a heater and it's ready to go whenever I need it.

I use Reef Crystals and have been for about a year and a half. Never had any problems doing the above. Dissolves quickly.

That is exactly how I do it as well :) let it mix for at least 12 hours with a powerhead.
I mix it in 5 gallon bucket as well with 3 maxi-jets 900. Heater is in as well set to highest as possible 90???when salinity is reached I turn off the heater and wait for the temp to come down to tanks temp before doing a water change.I check my salinity with a continuous monitor (Pinpoint). It has temp compensation, so thats real good!About two hours start to finish for about 4 gallon WC. Simple and quick. Logically higher water temp dissolves the salt QUICKER. Having turbulent flow in the buckets assists perfectly in the physical mixing.I have made salt water and stored them in 5 gallon buckets. just stir up and heat.
30-45 seconds using this:IMG_1946.jpg
....lol :P

I used Bio Sea for many years , but now use SeaChem Reef , Mixes very well and all params are stable/ consistant bucket after bucket , my only reason for switching is because of the amount of salt I go through . I'm a big fan of small weekly water changes vs large monthly changes , so I go through alot of salt and I got tired of always driving to go get the Bio Sea . My SeaChem Salt gets droped at my door step by Dr's F&S . I mix mine in a 5 gallon bucket overnight with one maxijet 1200 pump and a heater set to 79 degrees .

post-8365-1192286702_thumb.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've used i.o. for years. its been very very reliable.

i have to say, i think the product has a stigmatizm associated with its name. i always hear peeps complain about the calcium levels. mine are always where they should be. i dont dose my aquarium, its just io all the way. many others have similar experiances.

i think in the past the salt did lack in the calcium dept. i also think they've changed thier product in the last few years . continued research and developement, as with every company.

anyway, i think io is always going to have the low calcium stigmatizm.

its never done me wrong.

and i'd go as far as saying its an incredable product.

never heard of bad batches, or i.o being the major cause of a tank crash.

in 18ish years(as long as i've been in the hobby-), imo thats a pretty good track record.

DESERTHEATRACING
Tropic Marin

Has anyone ever done a chemical test on the different salts to find out exactly how much of what each includes..?

I use Seachem Reef. I looked at the link provided above and the results it gave for Seachem are different than the results I get. I find it mixes perfectly and no residue, calcium is perfect. I do find I need to bring up the alk a little though. It's tested like this for me bucket after bucket as well for others I know that use it. My second choice would be Tropic Marin Pro.

DESERTHEATRACING
I use Seachem Reef. I looked at the link provided above and the results it gave for Seachem are different than the results I get. I find it mixes perfectly and no residue, calcium is perfect. I do find I need to bring up the alk a little though. It's tested like this for me bucket after bucket as well for others I know that use it. My second choice would be Tropic Marin Pro.

Darn no oceanic on the test. I am very happy with oceanic so no plans to change, just curious as to how it tests in the lab :)

masterbuilder

There is a thread going on over on RC where a lab is in the process of testing a number of salts. They plan to just do a chemical analysis of the basic parameters that is in each one after its mixed to the levels most of us use. The way I understand it ...no judgements, recomendations, or other BS....just an analysis.

Here is a link to the lab doing the test. http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/

Archived