Top Shelf Aquatics

Building a 20x20x12 rimless cube.

Withers

I'm in the brainstorming phase of this, and I'd like some opinions. Here's the design I've drawn up so far:

20gallonnanopic.png

The tank would sit in a frame that would support the mounting mechanism for the MH pendant. The frame would be simple to build, but the mounting rod wouldn't. I'm trying to figure out what the best material to use would be. Could PVC support that much weight? Would I need to use a metal of some kind?

I could easily set this up so that the weight of the tank will keep the mounting mechanism from leaning forward, but I just need to figure out the type of material to use for the rod (or it could be flat, it doesn't matter to me.) Any suggestions?

i would worry that the pvc would be prone to failure over time

a. it isn't designed to be a load carying structure

b. it is too britile

c. over time, the heat from the halide may weaken the pvc

i would look into that iron pipe they have at home depot

they should be able to cut it to length for you there and thread the ends, which you could then use to attach any necessary fittings to

btw: cool idea. i may use it in lieu of a hood on my 18 x 18 x 12 cube :P

I figured thats how it would turn out, but it would've been so easy to use PVC!

Now I'll have to find a welder and someone who can bend a piece of steel for me, blah.

I'll probably just walk around Lowe's sometime this weekend and see if there's anything thats already the shape I need, maybe I'll get some ideas :)

Now I'll have to find a welder and someone who can bend a piece of steel for me, blah.

why?

like i said, home depot (or lowes) carries an iron pipe. it is in the plumbing section. they will cut and thread it for you, and there are iron fittings just like for pvc

I'm thinking that I'll need to have a metal plate that runs underneath the frame though, but maybe it won't have to be welded to the rod. That would be really helpful.

Naw man they sell all kinds of metal fittings for the pipe...Just buy some U brackets and screw them into the back of the stand to hold the pipe...

Maybe this'll be a lot easier than I'm making it out to be in my head. I need to get to a home improvement store!

Naw man they sell all kinds of metal fittings for the pipe...Just buy some U brackets and screw them into the back of the stand to hold the pipe...

or get a threaded flange with screw holes in it

btw: cool idea. i may use it in lieu of a hood on my 18 x 18 x 12 cube :P

Let me know how it goes if you do. I thought the idea was pretty creative, it should be a good alternative to hanging the pendant.

I seem to remember somebody doing what you're talking about by using copper pipe and fittings. You would need a torch to solder the joints though. There's always metal electrical conduit pipe too.

Depending on the weight of your pendant, you can use conduit piping. That's what I used for my PFO pendant, but is is very light since the ballast was remote. Just bend it to shape and you're good to go. Maybe some thing like ] so the bottom slides into your base and the top to hang your pendant.

I should be getting kickbacks for my advertising work!

Why 20 though? that's an awkward length. I suggest you draw out that tank on the floor or build a mock model with cardboard. I know for me personally, I sometimes fall in love with a certain ratio or number but when I see the actual tank, I get buyer's remorse.

Don't worry, np has great customer service. Im sure you'll be okay changing your mind a dozen times. I know I want at least two more tanks from him ;D

btw, I would use wood for the whole thing. I think it looks classy. Or you could just go look up the thermal properties of the material you want to use, and it's resistance to UV light. Your tank will look like a giant version of my fw tank.

I have an 18in cube, and it's pretty perfect btw. 2in won't make a huge difference. 6 might, but 2 won't. Just for your consideration

last comment of the night:

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/html/AboutPlasticPPFMaterial/

Home depot also has some cool square aluminum tubing that is pretty easy to cut and work with. Its usually in the hardware section.

couldn't you use copper pipe? iirc, it's like a metal version of pvc, you can get 90* elbows and 45* and t's etc and it's really easy to cut w/ a hack saw.

Vic,

Got your pricing together tonight. I will PM you in the morning. ;)

Woot! I'm excited!

Why 20 though? that's an awkward length. I suggest you draw out that tank on the floor or build a mock model with cardboard. I know for me personally, I sometimes fall in love with a certain ratio or number but when I see the actual tank, I get buyer's remorse.

Thats the exact size of my sump for my 75, and I was just thinking the other day that it would look really nice as a nano. If I were to do anything different I'd probably go with a 24x24x12, but I may not have room for something that large in the spot I want to put it in.

Annealed copper could be bent to shape but would weaken and sag over time. Hard copper would work great (and look great IMO) but you'd need to solder the fittings and to make that look good without ugly drips takes time and practice. I would use 3/4" EMT and a find an electrician friend with a bender or if you want to get real fancy use 316L stainless and never worry about corrosion issues.

It was going to be 3/8", but this project is going to be on hold for a while. I just found out I owe Uncle Sam $3,100.

It was going to be 3/8", but this project is going to be on hold for a while. I just found out I owe Uncle Sam $3,100.

ouch

Archived