Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

See what happens when you eat REDs Zoas

bigredreefer

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

so let me get this straight? you saw a crab eating zoa's which contain Palytoxins. (very toxic) and decided to cook it and feed it to your roomate?

careful, we might just end up reading about you guys. :):P:)

http://www.darwinawards.com/

Honoring those who improve the species by

accidentally removing themselves from it

pan fried > boiled

so let me get this straight? you saw a crab eating zoa's which contain Palytoxins. (very toxic) and decided to cook it and feed it to your roomate?

yes.. kind of stupid

The Propagator

Dumb...........dumb... dumb.. dumb.... DUMB..............

"Hey roomate why are my lips numb?

Wait a minute why cant I move my arms?

Holy crap man what are you doing with that glove?"

Too funny Red !!! :)

I seriously doubt he ate it though guys.

Helfrichs Chick

Question, would the heat from boiling water neutralize the toxin at all? I would think so but have absolutely no basis on why. LMAO. I can only imagine the NASTY S*** that lobsters and king crab eat, plastic bags, dead or live corals, rotting fish, whale s***, just whatever they might find, and we eat them no problem. Just a thought.

On a side note I am thinking I may have gotten poisoned last weekend. I got in that shipment of rics, and I had also ordered 10 colonies of zoas, about 100+ polyps on each. Was acclimating and fragging and about 2 hours later I had a 103 fever, cold sweats, chills and nasty headache. I was wearing a mask, as using the dremel. Not sure if it was actually the zoas or not but ironic none the less. Felt fine before the shipment, and fine the next day. Was not as bad as the time I grabbed one of my WC poison frogs on accident while moving scape. In the hospital for a week.

Cruel? Not at all. I am sure it was super quick. Whats cruel is keeping a baby cow in a pen and force-feeding it with a tube to get it as fat as possible so it cant even stand up anymore, then slitting its throat and letting it bleed to death while it eyes arent even covered and can still look around. THATS cruel.

Helfrich’s Chick, if you think you were poisoned by palytoxin...i'm not really sure of it's effects or how fast it kills but i'm sure you would be dead by now if it were indeed palytoxin :P

Helfrichs Chick

Yea after this thread I did some reading and found some interesting information...

"Palytoxin was first isolated from the soft coral Palythoa toxica. Several species of Palythoa are used in aquariums, but do not produce the toxin. Originally, it was only found in a single tidal pool on the island of Maui in Hawaii and native Hawaiians used to coat spear points with a red seaweed from the pool. Toxin-containing corals appear to be randomly and sparingly distributed throughout the South Pacific and there is now a school of thought that suggests that the coral is simply concentrating the toxin made by a dinoflagellate (a small single-celled organism) called Ostreopis siamensis. "

"Palytoxin is the most toxic natural product known, it is estimated that the lethal dose for a human is less than five micrograms. Supplies are extremely limited as it is only found at low concentrations in the corals that do contain it, although this may change if a microbial source is found. "

"Palytoxin is an incredibly complex molecule with 64 stereocenters and a backbone of 115 contiguous carbon atoms. Most chemists would believe it to be beyond the capabilities of modern chemistry to make it in the laboratory, but this was managed in 1989."

EVEN MORE INTERESTING! Palytoxins are stable in seawater and lower alcohols.

Crazy stuff!

Cruel? Not at all. I am sure it was super quick. Whats cruel is keeping a baby cow in a pen and force-feeding it with a tube to get it as fat as possible so it cant even stand up anymore, then slitting its throat and letting it bleed to death while it eyes arent even covered and can still look around. THATS cruel.

Before the meat can get USDA certification, it has to pass certain standards. A humane slaughter is included.

They don't 'bleed out' animals. The only exceptions ("ritual slaughters") are made in creating kosher meats or in some religious sects.

FWIW.....I never have, nor will I ever eat veal because of the conditions of life a calf must endure (i.e. you mentioned the veal pen).

Helfrichs Chick
Before the meat can get USDA certification, it has to pass certain standards. A humane slaughter is included.

They don't 'bleed out' animals. The only exceptions ("ritual slaughters") are made in creating kosher meats or in some religious sects.

FWIW.....I never have, nor will I ever eat veal because of the conditions of life a calf must endure (i.e. you mentioned the veal pen).

Well I know for a fact that they do in SH in TX, my family used to raise Black Angus cattle until a couple years back. Maybe its changes in the last 2 years, but I have been to the slaughter houses, they bled them out. It was the most horrid thing I have ever seen. And yes the veal pens are horrid.

Archived